• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thinking about picking up a guitar

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't have the time to go from work, to home, get my guitar, and go to my lesson. So, I brought my guitar with me to work. Which makes it a conversation starter....

And I now may have a line on an acoustic guitar. Someone at work also plays, and has her own electric and acoustic. She also has an acoustic that her father has left with her for years, with no apparent care to ever play it again. She thinks she's going to ask her dad if he cares if she hands it off to someone else, meaning me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The first lesson went well. The teacher's pretty organized - we already have all the music for the course, and she'll be e-mailing around mp3s of examples of her playing and singing along with the various songs we'll be working with. She has a good policy for those who have to miss a class - she'll do phone calls to go over the basics of the class with you, so you don't fall too far behind, and is open to calls with questions before 9 PM on weeknights.

The teacher's nice. A little... hippy-dippy (which is understandable, given the venue), and fairly chatty (which is probably a good thing, in that as beginners our fingers are not up to an hour-plus of solid playing). There are four students in the class, and the overall atmosphere is very no-pressure.

We covered (in no particular order), the chromatic scale (which was actually the last thing we touched on), A, E, and D-major chords, to construct the background for Amazing Grace.

Got a mnemonic for the strings that, due to the presentation, I won't be able to forget - Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually. This was relevant because it lead to an "Aha!" moment.

Most of the online and book lessons I have seen may mention the string names in passing to start, but then move on to using numbers. This is a practical approach, as what the student probably wants to learn is which finger goes on what string on which fret. If you number the strings, you can say, "First finger, second string, third fret" and the student knows what to do. If you said, "Index finger, A-string, third fret," the student has to think more.

This teacher continued to talk string names. And I went, "Oh, wait! So the chord is named for the lowest note in the chord!" (I know, this is not strictly true - it is merely true for the forms of the chords we are being taught so far). This ends up being useful for me to know where to start strumming. Later, when dealing with six-string chords, this won't hold any more...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nice mnemonic! :D

And it sounds like a good class. I've never taken group lessons for guitar, but in orchestra and in my guitar circle, group learning was the thing. It can be BERY BERY goot way to lurn.

Janx

Hero
The first lesson went well. The teacher's pretty organized - we already have all the music for the course, and she'll be e-mailing around mp3s of examples of her playing and singing along with the various songs we'll be working with. She has a good policy for those who have to miss a class - she'll do phone calls to go over the basics of the class with you, so you don't fall too far behind, and is open to calls with questions before 9 PM on weeknights.

The teacher's nice. A little... hippy-dippy (which is understandable, given the venue), and fairly chatty (which is probably a good thing, in that as beginners our fingers are not up to an hour-plus of solid playing). There are four students in the class, and the overall atmosphere is very no-pressure.

We covered (in no particular order), the chromatic scale (which was actually the last thing we touched on), A, E, and D-major chords, to construct the background for Amazing Grace.

Got a mnemonic for the strings that, due to the presentation, I won't be able to forget - Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually. This was relevant because it lead to an "Aha!" moment.

Most of the online and book lessons I have seen may mention the string names in passing to start, but then move on to using numbers. This is a practical approach, as what the student probably wants to learn is which finger goes on what string on which fret. If you number the strings, you can say, "First finger, second string, third fret" and the student knows what to do. If you said, "Index finger, A-string, third fret," the student has to think more.

This teacher continued to talk string names. And I went, "Oh, wait! So the chord is named for the lowest note in the chord!" (I know, this is not strictly true - it is merely true for the forms of the chords we are being taught so far). This ends up being useful for me to know where to start strumming. Later, when dealing with six-string chords, this won't hold any more...

Every Adult Dog Growls, Barks, Eats is also good.

And yes, the lowest note in the chord is essentially the root note. When playing power chords, that's where you are anchoring your index finger.

When a song's key is set, that's likely the lowest note.

When you play a scale for a solo for a song in a key, that's the root note for the scale.

For chords, where it won't hold anymore that the lowest note is the root is because the notes wrap around. And because of that, lower versions of the same valid notes for a given chord can be used (rather than always choosing higher ones than the root).

This becomes more obvious when you learn what notes are in a scale for a given key (how to compute that), and then see those notes can be hit from all over, relative to the root note. This becomes the shopping list of what notes to can be used for a Chord.

What I did to help reinforce the notes and numbered positions was an mental exercise when I was laying in bed waiting to fall asleep (the musical equivalent of counting sheep).

visualize the guitar neck from the headstock to the 12th fret (the 12th fret is just a repeat from the top, so ignore it for now).

Now go through the EADGBE to identify which string is which. This helps reinforce what string to pluck when somebody says "A String or Play a D.")

Then, mentally identify where each note is on each string. Start with the big fat E string (string 1).
E is open
F is 1
F# is 2
G is 3
G# is 4
A is 5
A# is 6
B is 7
C is 8
C# is 9
D is 10
D# is 11
E is 12

Notice how E/F and B/C are adjacent (no Sharp/Flat between them). That's important as it forms an important component of what notes are in scales relative to what key you are in.

Also notice how Fret 5 is A, which is the next string. When you perform the count-down on the A string, you'll see how D is at the 5th fret.

Anyway, if you work through that exercise every night, you'll know where everything is on the fret board when somebody calls out to do something. On Bass, this is very handy, because I can look at the Chord progression of a song, and just bang out those notes on a 4-count and play along while keeping time without really knowing anything else. All because I know where the notes are.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Twangin' is goin'. Slowly.

I had a work-related trip to San Francisco (had to miss a lesson), and then a nasty cold, Thanksgiving, and my Mother-in-Law visiting. Then my wife picked up the cold....

It has been a few weeks where finding time to practice has been difficult. It showed in my latest lesson, as there are some chords I just can't do yet if I'm not looking at my diagrams. The world has calmed down some, so I am trying to catch back up.

While In SF, I had an evening with nothing to do. I decided to take the opportunity to visit the local Guitar Center (I had brought my papers from class, and could actually practice there with a borrowed instrument).

I have to give a shout-out to the staff - I made it clear to the salesman right off that I was an out-of-towner, taking advantage of how they'll let you noodle with guitars as much as you'd like, and how he wasn't getting a sale form me. He still spent about 20 minutes with me, going over acoustic guitar construction, the general price classes and the differences in sound at each level. It was a nice primer, really useful for considering future purchases.

And the fact that they'll let you pick up a $1500 instrument and just play it? Kind of intimidating :)

Remove ads