D&D 5E This Game Feels Like D&D 3.Xe

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm putting together an upcoming campaign that will based on some D&D 3.Xe adventure materials. So I'm thinking what I might do is implement some house rules and other things to make it feel slightly more like D&D 3.Xe than a regular D&D 5e game. I certainly don't want it to play like D&D 3.Xe, but some small adjustments here and there would be nice to fit in with the feeling I'm going for and perhaps offer a sense of nostalgia for some players.

I came up with the following things so far:
  • Races: Only the ones from the D&D 3.Xe PHB (human, dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, half-orc, halfling).
  • Deities: Greyhawk deities as presented in D&D 3.Xe PHB.
  • Alignment: Replacing Ideal with a statement regarding alignment pulled from the Basic Rules (e.g. "Neutral Good. I do the best I can to help others according to their needs..."). Clerics and paladins must match their deity's alignment - not technically a rule in D&D 3.Xe, but I want to play up mechanical aspect of alignment in certain ways. In social interaction challenges, characters with diametrically opposed alignment to the NPC have disadvantage on ability checks. Add more alignment requirements or benefits for magic items.
  • Favored Weapons: Clerics and paladins get proficiency with their deity's favored weapons if they don't already have it.
  • The Odd Reference: Look for opportunities to reference the D&D 3.Xe rules or quirky play experience in the fiction, sort of like Easter eggs (e.g. a kobold named Pun-Pun).
I'm not looking for any big changes to the rules at all, just minor little add-ons or variations to remind people who may have played D&D 3.Xe of the Before Times.

What else would you play up to make a D&D 5e game reference D&D 3.Xe in small ways?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
What else would you play up to make a D&D 5e game reference D&D 3.Xe in small ways?
Not a small way, sorry, but I'd be tempted to make some sort of prestige classes, or perhaps tweak multiclassing so it worked a little bit more like prestige classes. ie: put some kind of additional prerequisite on it, but give it special flavor and maybe a little mechanical bump as well.

Celebrim

Legend
Gotta have spiked chains (maybe mechanically a whip that does piercing damage.)

Allow buying and selling magic items if you don’t already.

Wands of Cure Wounds. Wands of Cure Wounds everywhere.
Three things that weren't and aren't a feature of my 3.X game, albeit because of house rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm putting together an upcoming campaign that will based on some D&D 3.Xe adventure materials. So I'm thinking what I might do is implement some house rules and other things to make it feel slightly more like D&D 3.Xe than a regular D&D 5e game. I certainly don't want it to play like D&D 3.Xe, but some small adjustments here and there would be nice to fit in with the feeling I'm going for and perhaps offer a sense of nostalgia for some players.

I came up with the following things so far:
  • Races: Only the ones from the D&D 3.Xe PHB (human, dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, half-orc, halfling).
  • Deities: Greyhawk deities as presented in D&D 3.Xe PHB.
  • Alignment: Replacing Ideal with a statement regarding alignment pulled from the Basic Rules (e.g. "Neutral Good. I do the best I can to help others according to their needs..."). Clerics and paladins must match their deity's alignment - not technically a rule in D&D 3.Xe, but I want to play up mechanical aspect of alignment in certain ways. In social interaction challenges, characters with diametrically opposed alignment to the NPC have disadvantage on ability checks. Add more alignment requirements or benefits for magic items.
  • Favored Weapons: Clerics and paladins get proficiency with their deity's favored weapons if they don't already have it.
  • The Odd Reference: Look for opportunities to reference the D&D 3.Xe rules or quirky play experience in the fiction, sort of like Easter eggs (e.g. a kobold named Pun-Pun).
I'm not looking for any big changes to the rules at all, just minor little add-ons or variations to remind people who may have played D&D 3.Xe of the Before Times.

Tweak spells and class abilities to interact with alignment. Detect Evil, detects alignment evil, etc.

Remove ads