This is my new all-time favorite monster book (13th Age Bestiary)

Dungeoneer

First Post
I can attest to the quality of the Bestiary. I've been using the creatures from the playtest and they've added lots of spice to my 4e-turned-13th Age game - A mushroom kingdom where a tywyzog princess needs the adventurers to overthrow her demon-possessed mother; a band of backstabbing bugbear mercenaries with cool ninja, commander and berserker variants; a horrific jorogumo mistress who uses orphans as human shields; a disturbing number of villains who are being manipulated by a conspiracy of prophetic "time golems" (reskinned zorigami); the Saved reskinned as Torog cultists; a Wendigo cult seeking to bring back an ancient Wendigo King icon; a Warbanner in a running vertical fight along the side of a castle wall; blind Cave Orcs as the perfect minions for a medusa; a gelatinous tetrahedron JUST BECAUSE.

I also really, really want to have a bergship full of frost giants and their pets come crashing into the campaign one of these days, when the PCs reach higher levels.

WHAAAAAT. I want to play in your game!!!

Yes, here's the thread about the preview, from about one year ago.

The book doesn't tell you who worked on what monsters*. On the one hand I want to know, but on the other hand it helps make the book feel more consistent. I knew [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] was involved in working on this book, but did not know he wrote the redcap entry! Very, very cool.

* Except for the sidebar where Rob Heinsoo explains how he shot down ASH LAW's idea for an entire campaigns worth of fungaloid enemies. :p

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm so glad you love this book as much as I do! My monsters were ridiculously fun to write. My beasties included:

- The hoardsong red dragon
- Whispering Prophets (which started as a "not a mind flayer")
- Redcaps
- Bugbears
- Llamasu

Dungeoneer

First Post
I'm so glad you love this book as much as I do! My monsters were ridiculously fun to write. My beasties included:

- The hoardsong red dragon
- Whispering Prophets (which started as a "not a mind flayer")
- Redcaps
- Bugbears
- Llamasu
I really liked the Whispering Prophets. Super creepy and flavorful, just the way I like my monsters. Are they an original creation?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I really liked the Whispering Prophets. Super creepy and flavorful, just the way I like my monsters. Are they an original creation?

They are. They're a cross between a civilized mind flayer and a trillith, a creature I created for my last big campaign. I wanted something that wasn't particularly a badass in combat, but which could legitimately be a great plot hook and a good reoccurring minor villain.

They are. They're a cross between a civilized mind flayer and a trillith, a creature I created for my last big campaign. I wanted something that wasn't particularly a badass in combat, but which could legitimately be a great plot hook and a good reoccurring minor villain.

Much kudos for great work!

Remove ads