• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This is my new all-time favorite monster book (13th Age Bestiary)

Dungeoneer

First Post
I can attest to the quality of the Bestiary. I've been using the creatures from the playtest and they've added lots of spice to my 4e-turned-13th Age game - A mushroom kingdom where a tywyzog princess needs the adventurers to overthrow her demon-possessed mother; a band of backstabbing bugbear mercenaries with cool ninja, commander and berserker variants; a horrific jorogumo mistress who uses orphans as human shields; a disturbing number of villains who are being manipulated by a conspiracy of prophetic "time golems" (reskinned zorigami); the Saved reskinned as Torog cultists; a Wendigo cult seeking to bring back an ancient Wendigo King icon; a Warbanner in a running vertical fight along the side of a castle wall; blind Cave Orcs as the perfect minions for a medusa; a gelatinous tetrahedron JUST BECAUSE.

I also really, really want to have a bergship full of frost giants and their pets come crashing into the campaign one of these days, when the PCs reach higher levels.

WHAAAAAT. I want to play in your game!!!

Yes, here's the thread about the preview, from about one year ago.

The book doesn't tell you who worked on what monsters*. On the one hand I want to know, but on the other hand it helps make the book feel more consistent. I knew [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] was involved in working on this book, but did not know he wrote the redcap entry! Very, very cool.

* Except for the sidebar where Rob Heinsoo explains how he shot down ASH LAW's idea for an entire campaigns worth of fungaloid enemies. :p

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm so glad you love this book as much as I do! My monsters were ridiculously fun to write. My beasties included:

- The hoardsong red dragon
- Whispering Prophets (which started as a "not a mind flayer")
- Redcaps
- Bugbears
- Llamasu

Dungeoneer

First Post
I'm so glad you love this book as much as I do! My monsters were ridiculously fun to write. My beasties included:

- The hoardsong red dragon
- Whispering Prophets (which started as a "not a mind flayer")
- Redcaps
- Bugbears
- Llamasu
I really liked the Whispering Prophets. Super creepy and flavorful, just the way I like my monsters. Are they an original creation?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I really liked the Whispering Prophets. Super creepy and flavorful, just the way I like my monsters. Are they an original creation?

They are. They're a cross between a civilized mind flayer and a trillith, a creature I created for my last big campaign. I wanted something that wasn't particularly a badass in combat, but which could legitimately be a great plot hook and a good reoccurring minor villain.

They are. They're a cross between a civilized mind flayer and a trillith, a creature I created for my last big campaign. I wanted something that wasn't particularly a badass in combat, but which could legitimately be a great plot hook and a good reoccurring minor villain.

Much kudos for great work!

Remove ads