This mentality needs to die

Hussar

Legend
Pig Champion makes a pretty good point. Videotape your next gaming session. Stuff it up on Youtube and make it available to everyone at En World to critique. I'm pretty sure ALL of us would have at least one cringeworthy moment. At the very, very least.

DMing is a lot like driving. People vastly overestimate their abilities. I know when I drive I always notice how it's always everyone else who is a moron on the road. :D

Arksorn

First Post
Oh, re Darkfire, I think the correct RB GM's response is:

"OK, you outline the door with an eldritch glow. It's still frozen shut. Next!" :)

This is good for an experienced player. To give him the benefit of the doubt, he was trying to help a new player save his power, he just did not do it well.

Also "At the DM's discretion, a power tha targets a creature can also target an object, whether or not the power identifies an object as a potential target" 4th Edition Rules Updates January 19, 2010 to page 57 of PHB under "Target"

Gilwen

Explorer
I watched this and the most of the other videos. I don't find them horrible or a slight to DMing. His style is different but seemed to deliver a good time to the ppl he was running for and that's what counts in the end. I would have made the call differently behind my screen but it is what it is.

I did find it funny that the DnD Creative Brand Manager had to read the card to know what DarkFire was all about :D

I wish there were more videos like this for me to mine for info for my games. I'm particularly interested in combat because even subtracting out or screwing around and frequently horribly unfortunate a comical dice rolls it takes a while sometimes!

gil

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Yeah, I definitely noticed that when I was watching it. Is there anything in the rules that allows you to use something intended for "One Creature" on objects? I was looking the DMG but I didn't see anything.
In explaining targeting, the PHB does give examples of powers that target objects, presumably in contrast to creatures. The following bit in the DMG addresses a technically distinct but related issue.
DMG page 40 said:
When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting a target--or reducing a target to 0 hit points--the power functions only when the target in questions in a meaningful threat. Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes o healing their allies by hitting the rats.
If you let the drow use Darkfire on a door outside of combat, can you still tell the cleric that Sacred Flame against the same door doesn't grant his ally a saving throw? This scenario is logically distinct from the one in question, but it does demonstrate that the DM should exercise some discretion.

That said, I agree that I would want to exercise my discretion differently. I would try to find an in-game explanation for why the power doesn't work as the player expects. Perhaps Chris Perkins would also do things differently given another chance. Or perhaps he felt it was more important to teach the player the basics of how powers work.

Honestly, if a player had Scorching Burst in that situation, or some other power that actually does create fire (at least as described in the flavor text), I probably would make it at least as effective as using a torch or an existing fire source. Honestly, I would only apply the restriction I quoted from the DMG for game mechanical effects. Darkfire on a door doesn't give you combat advantage against it, but a drow can help his friends who don't have low-light vision find the door in a darkened room.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Videotape your next gaming session. Stuff it up on Youtube and make it available to everyone at En World to critique. I'm pretty sure ALL of us would have at least one cringeworthy moment. At the very, very least.
Good lord. Only one? I'd have a lot more than that!

Hussar

Legend
Heh, one thing I've noticed, having transcripts of all my games since I play using either OpenRPG or Maptools, is that there are LOADS of mistakes and cringeworthy events upon rereading. Things I totally did not see the first time around. Going back and rereading old transcripts has really helped me, I think, find areas that I need to work on.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I know people would love to see a Piratecat gaming session tho! :D
Yeah, 'cause 15 minutes of "are those yoinkable fries? Gimme!" is simply riveting.

One of the things these podcasts illustrate is that games have a rhythm you want to keep going. If the pacing slows down in the wrong place, you lose people. The question is how to identify where those spots are, and how to keep people focused?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
One of the things these podcasts illustrate is that games have a rhythm you want to keep going. If the pacing slows down in the wrong place, you lose people. The question is how to identify where those spots are, and how to keep people focused?

Good question. Part of what I love about these videos is that they can showcase some great "table habits," and can point out some more subtle habits that can be corrected. They really help the self-examination part of becoming a better DM, highlighting the moments when the players were all really there, showing you where they weren't, stuff like that.

Kinda wish I could videotape my sessions, see where I'm screwing up, and see what really works.

Remove ads