• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This PDF cover has to be seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Some links. Note that some of his images are not safe for work.
What? Are you serious?
If my boss caught me with those images on my screen, he'd just go "Aw that's cute, so your son is expressing puberty through drawings?"

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
Guys,

What began as a smile and lampoon of a cover on RPGNow has taken on an almost sadistic schoolyard bent.

You've tracked the other works of the man down, identified him by name and described who he is.

There is now enough information in this thread that, given that ENWorld forums is thoroughly spidered by Google, it is an absolute certainty that at some point, he's going to google his own name or book or art - and see this thread.

And he's going to be pretty hurt by it.

Yes, some skin toughening is expected as you grow older -- and yes -- some further flinty heartedness is required when you put your own products for sale on the Interwebs.

I get all that. Sure, I agree.

But he's still a human being, still a gamer, and if he reads this thread? Well...

How would you feel if it were you?

I think to be ridiculed like this -- and make no mistake, that is precisely what this piling on thread has become -- would be a pretty devastating kick in the nuts. We're going to hurt this guy - and I don't think that something I'd be very proud of.

I got to think that a website full of geeks and nerds must have had some moments in our childhood when we were each -- for some moment at least -- the brunt of the joke by our peers.

So. Now that we've had our fun - how about we not do this?

And if you linked to his stuff in the above messages or Myspace or whatever track backs you pointed to - how about you just delete what you linked to - and maybe he won't end up finding this. Cause this just isn't going to help anybody.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
In all fairness to the publisher, I will admit that artistically I certainly couldn't do better, and as a potential customer,
he already lost me at • Copy/paste disabled...

B-)

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Steel_Wind, I have to commending you for trying to be cool and actually empathizing with the artist as a fellow human being. I do have a certain degree of disagreement with you, however. I must also point out the futility of shielding people who engage in creative work from criticism.

When I write, I want proofreaders who are, well... Critical. I want them to point out every tiny flaw that I may or may not have considered, rake the work over the coals, and make me realize where the work has come up short. There is a big difference between saying that a given piece of work is horrible and making a personal attack. "That which would give off light must endure burning," after all. I have no problem with the criticism, as long as it's of the artwork and not a high-school style personal attack.

On that topic, incidentally, I feel that it's a legitimate criticism of his work to lambaste him for trying to sell this stuff. People who want to sell a product should certainly be held accountable for the quality of that product. I won't presume to speak to the artist's motivations or personality since I don't know him personally, but I can damn sure recognize something that's worth paying for and something that is not.

One final issue... Artists in all media and across all spectra of talent level deal with criticism. Constantly. One of the marks of a true professional is to recognize legitimate criticism and when it's so much noise. That's not even to mention all the absolute crap that gets put out in the entertainment industry because of contractual obligations. People who would endeavor to make a living in a creative field know how to deal with criticism... Or they go get a day job somewhere and give up on the whole thing.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Elton Robb

Explorer
Thank God for DAZ Studio, Poser, and all the other 3D Art Apps. Right everyone?

Athena_in_Regalia_by_Atlantean6.jpg

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I just want to echo what Steel Wind said - I got a good laugh out of the cover, but I don't want to go too far and hurt anyone's feelings.

I know that sounds hypocritical coming from the OP, but I have a thicker skin than a lot of people and tend to "call 'em as I see 'em", but I sometimes forget that isn't always the case for some of my fellow gamers.

Nebulous

Legend
World of difference....world of difference. The 1st ed book might have been bad art, but it's still worlds better.

I think the cover of the 1e monster manual is pure awesome, even all these years later. 4e should take that picture and update it with modern artists!

Wicht

Hero
I think the cover of the 1e monster manual is pure awesome, even all these years later. 4e should take that picture and update it with modern artists!

The 1e MM cover is excellent for what it was. There wasn't a lotta money in the industry back then for artists but that image, while appearing a bit simple at first, actually manages to convey quite a bit. Its a piece of art that has grown on me over time. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads