• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This qualifies as art?

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Hmm, next time we´ll need to get a thread on:

hundertwasserhaus.jpg

"Is this art? I know 5-year-olds that build better houses than this!"

Phaezen

Adventurer
Personaly, I like the art style, but can understand why some people might not.

Which is all good.

It's kind of like RPG systems, different people have different tastes, but in the end its all RPGs.

Some of the humerous touches are quite funny as well - the Gray Dragon, Zombie Hulk, and Death Giant stand out here. And the Sorrowsworn Reaper? That is just metal.

Dire Bare

Legend
Before bowing out of this thread entirely, I'd just like to say that I never in my life expected such a reaction. This is one of those very rare times when I was expressing an honest opinion and not trying to troll the boards.

Oh please. No one has a problem that the artwork in question isn't to your tastes. In fact, I'd go as far to say no one cares.

It's the fact that you have decided to be nasty and insulting about it that has people riled up.

I like how you state this is one of the few times you weren't trying to troll the boards . . . maybe you troll too much because the OP reads like a troll.

If you don't like the stuff, fine. If you want to post that you don't like the stuff, that's fine too. It's your insulting tone and self-righteousness that pissed me off as well as a pile of other folks.

My advice, grow up.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I must admit that his art is well done considering the style he was aiming for, but my initial reaction was one of shock and the art does seem very out of place. But if thats what the young folks like nowadays then I'll just follow the old proverb "keep your nose outa trouble, and no trouble'll come to you" I prefer Rebecca Guay's work myself, It has a much more modest, graceful, elvish feel as opposed to the macho ripped guys and scantily clad women in most of the new stuff and the comic lampoon of the art that you are adressing. At least the figurines are'nt cartoons! :p
Seconded on all fronts, including Rebecca Guay (probably my overall favourite M:tG artist).

As for the art being discussed here: meh, does nothing for me.

But if WotC (or someone) could just come out with a whole book of scenes and landscapes like those in "Worlds and Monsters", that would rock!

Lanefan

But if WotC (or someone) could just come out with a whole book of scenes and landscapes like those in "Worlds and Monsters", that would rock!

And posters. There must be posters. I would actually consider buying multiple copies of Worlds and Monsters if doing so would net me some of those landscapes (especially some of the planar ones) as posters.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
It is reminiscent of what children draw and I see no skill in it.

It actually reminds me a lot of the art-style in the Nightmare Before Christmas. The character have the same oddly skewed proportions and exaggerated features.

It's pretty clear (both in the art and in the movie) that this is done intentionally to evoke a certain childish, fantastical feeling. It doesn't represent a lack of talent; it represents a conscious artistic decision. There is more to artistic talent than the ability to create photo-realistic images.

Anyway, "de gustibus non est disputandum." You'll get much more civil responses if you don't disparage others as talentless and undeserving.

I think he was doing a comparison, not showing you *what else* the artist has done.

By in large XKCD is filled with awesome and is even more rudimentary than Order of the Stick.

More explicitly stated, Order of the Stick (and XKCD for that matter) are NOT drawn by the artist the OP didn't like.

As for the OP, I hate this artwork. But I still call it art. I can see the artistry in how it is composed and drawn but the style does nothing for me. It does evoke motion very well and would probably be better served as an animated video. But even then I would not watch a cartoon in this art style unless the dialog/plot was amazing.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
I think this thread is headed for closedville, so I'll get in my thoughts quickly.

The artwork isn't to my tastes. But it and this thread remind me of Shelly Mazzanoble's columns and book: They reflect a different way of looking at our hobby and game. They push out beyond the boundaries of what we expect. They show us there are more ways to appreciate the game than the our own, and in so doing maybe add a little extra dimension to our own appreciation.

Personally, I get a big kick out of Shelly's writings. I don't like this art. But that's the nature of such things: For most people, only a minority of such excursions are likely to appeal. No problem. If you don't like it, stick to the 99% of D&D content that doesn't stray into such tangencies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads