• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

This qualifies as art?

Mad Mac

First Post
It's not hyperbole; the art is, IMO, childish and unprofessional. It is reminiscent of what children draw and I see no skill in it.

If you see no skill in it, then I don't know what to tell you. That's just patently untrue. You do realize these are all paintings, right?

In any case I like the art a great deal, and obviously wizards does as well.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
You have gone out of your way now, on multiple occasions, to insult this artist's work as childish and unprofessional while further doing your best to insult anybody who expresses a like for his art. It sounds to me that you're personally jealous of this guy's success and can't find any other way to cope with those feelings than by acting as nasty as humanly possible on public forums. Well, this should really drive you up a wall then:

The first run of Goblin Stomper shoes sold out. And, of course, I mean "sold out" as in "The casual footwear designed by Jared Hindman is already more successful than anything Kzach has ever done in his entire life." And that only pertains to his shoe line. Add in any commission for his WotC published artwork and I suspect he's already more successful than you ever will be. How 'bout them apples? Doesn't feel so good when somebody uses your own methods and turns them back at you does it?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Yahda, yahda, yahda.

Actually I didn't realise they were the same person until you just mentioned it here which, if anything, proves I don't have an agenda and that this is simply my natural reaction to his work.

I am allowed to have an opinion, aren't I? And I have expressed my views as my opinion, and asked others if they share this opinion or if there is some other opinion to be had.

And yet, you've gone and taken it all very personally.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
And yet, you've gone and taken it all very personally.

I'm afraid you misread me. I don't take anything you said as a personal insult. I simply made a (correct) observation that you've now attacked the artist here multiple times (using almost the exact same words each time, no less). Then I noted how that makes you look petty and vindictive. Admittedly, pointing out that Hindman is more successful than you are (or probably ever will be) was likely unnecessary. But it was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Rawion

First Post
I must admit that his art is well done considering the style he was aiming for, but my initial reaction was one of shock and the art does seem very out of place. But if thats what the young folks like nowadays then I'll just follow the old proverb "keep your nose outa trouble, and no trouble'll come to you" I prefer Rebecca Guay's work myself, It has a much more modest, graceful, elvish feel as opposed to the macho ripped guys and scantily clad women in most of the new stuff and the comic lampoon of the art that you are adressing. At least the figurines are'nt cartoons! :p

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Before bowing out of this thread entirely, I'd just like to say that I never in my life expected such a reaction. This is one of those very rare times when I was expressing an honest opinion and not trying to troll the boards.

Obviously I have struck a nerve and it seems there are people more sensitive to this issue than I could've conceived possible. To me, there is nothing offensive about stating an opinion about something in the public purview that is considered art. It's not a personal statement about anyone's education or intelligence. It's simply a subjective statement of preference.

The purpose of this thread was to ask the question, "Is this art?" Obviously, the overwhelming response would indicate that it is, no matter what my personal preferences may be.

If anyone has taken this as a personal slight against their preferences, then I apologise. There honestly was no intent to do so and in hindsight, I can now see how it may be taken in such a way.

For what it's worth, I have a great deal of respect for artists because I perceive it to take a great deal of skill, talent and perseverance to produce art. It was my opinion that this person's work was not of that grade, but it seems I am wrong.

And on that count, I leave this thread, whatever the outcome of future posts shall be.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
WOTC has access to incredible artists and in my opinion this is not one of them... I love some of the art on their site. I wont be including any of the cartoons on my list.
even if the Gnome toon videos are fun as hell... that has as much to do with voice acting and writing as anything. (close my eyes yup just as good).

I am completely bamboozled at what people like or dont.

Yes I have seen 12 year olds producing cool D&D art that seemed more impressive than this in terms of skill. But ... Picassos realism was mediocre.. so he made up his own style... and I have no clue why people like that either.

Shrug...
WOTC liked the art and apparently figured some of us would too..and from
some of the posts here-in they are right, that doesn't mean I will agree.

Remove ads