Thor: The Dark World (SPOILERS)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Since 3d got big, Avatar and Gravity are the only two true-3d films that I am aware of that were designed, planned and shot for 3d. I was happy with both.

The Hobbit films are also designed, planned, and shot in 3D.

Janx

Hero
Yeah, when 3D is tacked on it feels, well, tacked on. It's an obvious afterthought and that makes it more distracting than anything else. There is one form of 3D I hate even more, though: 3D that does things for the sake of 3D. You know, every axe has to come flying out of the screen, every weapon ever is pointed at the audience, etc. So, so lame. Give me tacked on over that crap any day.

The gimicky stuff flying at audience is a variation of "tacked on" to me. It's a case of the director remembering, "oh yeah, this is supposed to be in 3d, let's throw in something to make it obvious."

I've not seen Gravity but I have seen Avatar. Avatar did 3D right. It was ... natural. Though the plot, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired the 3D was a real achievement. It set the bar and I've not seen anything come close to it since.

Gravity was nicely shot, decently acted. had a few plot holes, but was a good film worthy of an award for something.

My eyballometric for what size screen to view a movie on is (aka how much to pay to see it for first time):

lots of talking, probably going to have awards for best acting: TV screen
lots of car chases, shooting, explosions, fighting: regular movie screen
Huge sweeping vistas or space battles: huge movie screen
Actually shot as a proper 3d movie like Avatar/Gravity: 3d movie screen

Thor rated a regular movie screen and I enjoyed it.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
The gimicky stuff flying at audience is a variation of "tacked on" to me. It's a case of the director remembering, "oh yeah, this is supposed to be in 3d, let's throw in something to make it obvious."

True - though I think Piranha 3D was an example of the 3D on purpose stuff I was talking about. The whole point of that piece of garbage was to be 3D - a sorry excuse for a ... a ... well, anything about a movie, I guess. For the record, no, I didn't see it. Saw a preview before something else and immediately said 'hells to the noes'.

Gravity was nicely shot, decently acted. had a few plot holes, but was a good film worthy of an award for something.

I only hear good things about it for the most part. That doesn't always mean anything but I think it might in this case. I just don't see a lot of movies in the theater anymore.

My eyballometric for what size screen to view a movie on is (aka how much to pay to see it for first time):

lots of talking, probably going to have awards for best acting: TV screen
lots of car chases, shooting, explosions, fighting: regular movie screen
Huge sweeping vistas or space battles: huge movie screen
Actually shot as a proper 3d movie like Avatar/Gravity: 3d movie screen

Thor rated a regular movie screen and I enjoyed it.

That sounds a lot like the way I look at movies, too. I never saw the first Thor but if I saw it or the second I'd probably opt for 2D unless everyone else wanted to see it in 3D. Luckily my wife and friends feel pretty much the same way you and I do about 3D. If it ain't shot that way from go it ain't worth seein'.

Jhaelen

First Post
Since 3d got big, Avatar and Gravity are the only two true-3d films that I am aware of that were designed, planned and shot for 3d. I was happy with both.
I also seem to recall Martin Scorsese's 'Hugo' and Wim Wender's 'Pina' were filmed in (and making good use of) 3d.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Just saw this last night with my family, (wife, son 12, son 9). I and my boys liked it, but the wife thought it was too violent for the 9 year old. I agree in that I wouldn't have taken him had I known the extensive war scenes, but he seems to have handled it just fine.

I didn't like the first Thor movie too much. Didn't hate it, just didn't like it. But I liked this one better.

We discussed the movie and plot and characters on the drive home, and my 12 year old made me laugh when he commented about Thor "trolling" his hammer during the portal-jumping fight.

Has Thor ever been shown in a car in the comics? That two second scene cracked me up, and it wasn't played as an obvious gag.

Bullgrit

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Has Thor ever been shown in a car in the comics? That two second scene cracked me up, and it wasn't played as an obvious gag.

Bullgrit

I don't know about a car, but the Avengers (including Thor) once commandeered a city bus.

Remove ads