D&D 5E Thought experiment: Awesome Critical

Hypothetically speaking, what do you think would happen to the game if the Champion's 3rd level ability were the ability to score crits on any roll of 17-20, and his 15th level ability was to score crits on 13-20?

Would (Half-Orc?) Champions suddenly become all the rage?

The "autohit" effect of criticals probably doesn't matter at low levels, since a 17 is almost always a hit already even if you're using GWM. At 15th level, the autohit on a 13+ could be significant, especially against high-level foes like Tiamat and the Tarrasque. I think that would make the 15th level ability exciting, which is good.

In terms of raw damage, at 3rd level you're adding a constant (weapon dice * 0.15) to the expected damage of every attack, or up to double that for a half-orc using a one-die weapon. For a 5th level Str 18 Champion using a greatsword, you'd be adding 1.05 to the 9.35 damage per attack you'd do to an AC 13 T-Rex (10.4, an 11% increase in damage), and you'd be adding that same 1.05 to the 5.15 damage per attack you'd do to an AC 20 Helmed Horror (6.2, a 20% increase in damage).

That doesn't seem ridiculous to me. There's some synergy potential there for half-orc Champions with the Great Weapon Master feat exploiting the bonus attack on a crit, but it's still not an outlier in terms of potential. Compare to a human with the Polearm Master/Great Weapon Master combo: the half-orc is in the same ball park, occasionally weaker, and neither of them is particularly strong compared to other builds and tactics. (I tweaked my Death Slaad simulation to use these rules and it doesn't even show up as a blip in terms of the fighters' abilities to survive the Death Slaad cage match--you'd have to use high-powered statistics tests to even spot the difference.)

The point of this thought experiment is that even if you triple or quadruple the effect of the Champion's 3rd level ability, it still doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Does it seem unreasonable to you? It confirms my opinion that the PHB's rules for Champions are unreasonably stingy; I think in my next campaign I may adopt this thought experiment as a rule.

marcelvdpol

Explorer
A crit doubles ALL damage dice, not just the ones from your weapon. So a multiclass combo with additional damage dice from Sneak Attack, Hex, Hunters Mark, Divine Smite etc would add a LOT more to it. Extending the critical range makes these combos more powerful compared to others.

I would agree with your original assesment that extending the Critical range for a pure Champion is not that broken; a 1 point damage increase in the expected damage of an attack isnt enormous or hugely broken (imho).

Can you think of a multiclass combo that would wind up unreasonably strong as a result? E.g. would it become attractive to multiclass Champion 3/Swashbuckler 9/Paladin 5/Hunter 3? My instincts tell me "No." What do yours say?

IMO, Action Surge and (Improved) Improved Critical is not an unreasonably-large return for an investment of three levels. Even with the variant rule in play, I think a Fighter/Rogue would be as likely to pick Battlemaster 3/Rogue 9 or Eldritch Knight 3/Rogue 9 as Champion 3/Rogue 9. I don't think it becomes a dominant choice. Champion would add (d8+5d6) * 0.15 = +3.3 DPR. That's still not a huge effect.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Can you think of a multiclass combo that would wind up unreasonably strong as a result? E.g. would it become attractive to multiclass Champion 3/Swashbuckler 9/Paladin 5/Hunter 3? My instincts tell me "No." What do yours say?

IMO, Action Surge and (Improved) Improved Critical is not an unreasonably-large return for an investment of three levels. Even with the variant rule in play, I think a Fighter/Rogue would be as likely to pick Battlemaster 3/Rogue 9 or Eldritch Knight 3/Rogue 9 as Champion 3/Rogue 9. I don't think it becomes a dominant choice. Champion would add (d8+5d6) * 0.15 = +3.3 DPR. That's still not a huge effect.

I would roll up a Greataxe wielding Half-Orc Champion 3/Barbarian 17 with GWM, but I don't know if it would even do as much damage as any of the Multiclasses you listed. I'd just do it for fun. Heck, I would even doubt that the increased crit range is a bigger increase to DPR that GWM is on it's own.

Mostly I just love rolling a bunch of d12s and this seems to have great chance of doing that. 6d12s* on a crit, crit on a 17+, and Reckless Attack to help get that 17+ is a recipe for fun in my book.

*forgot to add 1d12 on a crit due to half-orc.

I would roll up a Greataxe wielding Half-Orc Champion 3/Barbarian 17 with GWM, but I don't know if it would even do as much damage as any of the Multiclasses you listed. I'd just do it for fun. Heck, I would even doubt that the increased crit range is a bigger increase to DPR that GWM is on it's own.

I view this as a pure positive and a reason in favor of adding this to my "house rule variants" document.

Remove ads