D&D 3E/3.5 Thoughts on 3e Revised?

IceBear

Explorer
This sounds too good to be true. It almost sounds like everything we've asked for, we're going to get. That never happens :)

And here I was thinking I could give my wallet a break and stop buying books :)

The cynic in me is thinking that this is just someone taking a wishlist of ideas from the various forums and saying that WotC is going to do it. I never used to be such a cynic *sigh*

IceBear

Last edited:

bret

First Post
There is a thread over in the General section that already has quite a bit of discussion about this going on.

It really depends on exactly what the changes are. I'll with hold judgement until I see the specific changes made.

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, I just saw that thread. I honestly don't think there's going to be THAT big of a change. Just some clarifications on some rules and spells (shield, harm, polymorph, haste, etc), but nothing that none of us probably haven't been made aware of in the past.

As I have the 1st printing of all the books, I wouldn't mind having a revised set of books if it helps clear up some of the more confusing areas (magic item creation seems to generate a lot of questions, grappling, etc).

I know me, and I know I'll be buying them on the day they are released (I'm so easily parted from my money)

IceBear

The Souljourner

First Post
I'm with IceBear here. I have 1st printing copies of all the core books, and I'd love to have revisions that clarifies all the wonkiness we've all found in the books over the past couple years. I also think some people are way over-reacting. They make it relatively clear in that comment that it's not going to be 4th edition with completely new rules, just clarifications and errata included in the book.

And besides, any changes you don't like, you can just rule 0.

Also like IceBear, I'll buy them the first day they come out, because I, too, am so easily parted from my money.

-The Souljourner

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah, and from further reading those other threads, it really looks like the "new" stuff (feats, etc) might just be the "best" stuff from the splatbooks.

This would lower the value of the books for me, somewhat, but I think the value of having the three corebooks containing clarifications, errata and "splatbook stuff" is worth more.

IceBear

The Souljourner

First Post
From further reading on that thread, I've come to the conclusion that posters on the general boards are a bunch of annoying whiney brats. "They better post it on the web for free or I'm switching systems." "No way am I buying a whole new set of books!" blah blah b1tch b1tch whine whine. I guess my decision not to read threads on the general forum was a good one.

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Yeah :)

I get the impression that many of them are inspiring authors of their own sourcebooks so they see this as WotC trying to screw them.

What's funny is that I remember a lot of people feeling the same way about 3E when we were still playing 2E (many of them were in my group, but they all had the 3E PHB in a month :p)

I really think that most of the stuff in there will be things we already know about - ie the "unoffical" version of shield in the FAQ, the ruling on monks and shields (which, btw, the latest NWN patch just changed so that shields = armor to monks :p), etc

So, if you feel that you don't need them, don't buy them. Me, I'm just a sucker for shiny, new books and as my old ones are getting ragged and I tire of carrying around my sheets of errata and clarifications, I think I can get some use out of them :)

IceBear

Last edited:

officeronin

First Post
The Souljourner said:
From further reading on that thread, I've come to the conclusion that posters on the general boards are a bunch of annoying whiney brats. "They better post it on the web for free or I'm switching systems." "No way am I buying a whole new set of books!" blah blah b1tch b1tch whine whine. I guess my decision not to read threads on the general forum was a good one.

-The Souljourner

Wait a minute -- they fire half their design staff, freelance all their top people, and we expect this version 3.1 to be better, clearer, and with fewer rules problems? I don't think it's whiney to be more than a little suspicious. While I'm not planning to change systems over this, I'd definitely be doing some on-line or in-store reading (or, more likely, reading the ones that the suckers in my group have purchased) before I shell out that much more cash...

OfficeRonin

kreynolds

First Post
officeronin said:
Wait a minute -- they fire half their design staff, freelance all their top people, and we expect this version 3.1 to be better, clearer, and with fewer rules problems?

American Airlines has layed off tens of thousands of their people througout this year. You'll note that flying is not yet a defunct mode of transportation.

Last edited:

Remove ads