D&D 3E/3.5 Thoughts on 3e Revised?

IceBear

Explorer
I'm sure that most of it is just reprinting of what's in the revised SW, CoC, and d20 Modern books as those tended to be clearer than the D&D stuff. That, and the FAQ is probably the source for most of this. You only need designers for MAJOR rule changes. Most of the stuff (except maybe the classes) sounds like minor things (give harm a save, etc) so I don't think it needs much in the way of designer input. Also, it could be that there were rules around from the design phase that weren't implemented (class variants fit that bill) because they didn't think that people would go for them. If, however, they see a lot of people complaining about the ranger and they see they have a draft version of the ranger that fits these complaints, maybe that's what they do. I also notice that Monte has commented that if he had it back he would like to change the magic item creation system, and this is one of the things that is being revised. Maybe Monte actually worked on that?

I'm sure that some people will have problems with the changed rules (that's human nature) but then they could continue to use the old rules.

Anyway, I don't feel that WotC has screwed me yet (except for Alternity, but that was a fair business decision) so I remain faithful they won't now.

IceBear

I don't know why they can't just make one book, instead of copying what's already there.

Call it the "Big Book of Non-Broken Stuff" with playtested and balanced rules for Haste, Mord's Disjunction, maybe beef up the ranger :) and those new feats that they're talking about.

I don't know if I want a MM3 if 85% of the stuff was in MM1.

IceBear

Explorer
I have a feeling those "new" feats aren't new, but from other sources.

It would be nice to have a book with all the rule clarifications, but then that just becomes an extra book to lug around. Since my original copies are starting to show wear I don't mind updating them.

Yeah, the monster manual is probably the one out of the three that will be the least appealing to me, but I know me - I'll still end up buying it :p

IceBear

KnowTheToe

First Post
I believe that WoTC expects to get a large boon from repurchases of current customers from the PHB. From what I read on the other threads, 80-90% of the people say they were going to get at least the RPHB.

The GM's guide and Monster manual I believe are for fixes and reorganization that really should take place, and if you have to reprint, why not fix it. After all, you will make all of the new customers a little happier and will get 10-15% of current customers to buy new books. It is a win win. I still don't understand people's griping.

Last edited:

zorlag

First Post
Revisions

I'm going to get PHB and probably the other 2 books as well. DMG should have correct pricing for magic items and clarified item creation rules (good thing). And Monster Manual could use some CR checking and general errata so... As long as they don't do this every year I won't complain too much.

Z.

kreynolds

First Post
Anybody wanna place bets as to whether or not the Solar will still have 5 attacks per round with a two-handed weapon? I still don't know how that managed to slip through the errata. :D

I actually plan on getting all three, primarily because my core books are really wearing thin. The binding on my DMG is falling apart, and my MM is well on the way.

Last edited:

dkilgo

First Post
I will get all the revised books that they come out with. I am tired of looking through so many documents to find any answers. It would just be easier to look into one or two books to find the info that I need.

I still think that the Solar will have those attacks. They can't get everything right.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
cool, and doubly cool that they are all coming out the same month. I have problems with patience.

Heck I was going to have to buy new books eventually anyways, and new books tat are somewhat revised is a better option. Since I haven't memorized the faq or errata I wonder how shocked I'll be at the changes since my 1st print books.

The thing that makes me happy is that this MIGHT just MIGHT mean a revised Psionics handbook in the future. PLEASE by the great god Gygax let it be so.

Otherwise, I agree with the Toe. My PHB's are wearing out so the next one having fixes is just icing on the cake.

Remove ads