D&D 5E Thoughts on Dreams of the Red Wizards: Scourge of the Sword Coast

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
http://www.dndclassics.com/product/...Wizards-Scourge-of-the-Sword-Coast-(D&D-Next)

85 pages, full color.

62 pages of module, 21 pages of Bestiary.

Front cover, credits and Encounters info, adventure and background info, bestiary, and no back cover.

The introduction sets it up as the first part of the "Dreams of the Red Wizards" campaign continuing with "Dead in Thay" listed on the Wizards Play Network as releasing in May.

The module maintains the "Sundering - Forgotten Realms" branding and would be Sundering adventure 3.

Considering this is a PDF-only product which many will want to print out, the choice of full-page full color background images is disappointing. The text is difficult to read in the corners and top where the background is darkest. It will use a lot of ink or toner, and some inkjets may cause the pages to ripple with the amount of 'color' per page.

The art and layout is similar to the first two Sundering modules but this seems harder to read.

Value-wise, this feels like less than Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle at the same price. Compared to a Pathfinder AP with more art and a slightly higher page count it comes up short.

I'd rate the $5 Encounters seasons with roughly the same page count plus full color maps as a better value as well.

The adventure itself looks fine at first glance. I'd would have preferred a 3rd to 5th adventure given the tier system in Next with 1st and 2nd as Apprentice levels. The characters start at 2nd and at the conclusion can hit 5th (which may be the starting level for Dead in Thay.)

There is a lot of content and getting the full adventure in over 13 Encounter sessions may be iffy. I count 175 numbered locations not including the town, but many are just description. In addition, Daggerford gets more detail with longer NPC write-ups and more building details than Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle.

The maps of the Vale and town are more detailed as well listing locations from both adventures.

Sidenote: there is a puzzle with the solution marked but no un-marked puzzle. That's not very useful.

Overall it looks like a decent mix of roleplay, exploration, and combat. The pacing may not flow well given the large number of locations at each adventure site and there look to be a few areas where a less cautious group might "pull the whole dungeon".

The building and dungeon maps are at 10' per square and will end up larger than they look on the battle map (for those not doing TotM). Setting then up with dungeon tiles may be quite a task as well.

An unmarked map pack would be a nice addition to the download.

Overall, I'm hoping maybe they revise the layout with easier to read backgrounds (or no background) but otherwise I expect we'll have a lot of fun with the adventure. The price seems high but is in line with similar page count from Paizo for 64 page adventures.

For stores running Encounters there should be some sort of code for the sanctioning store to get a free copy.

Sonny

Adventurer
Haven't got much of a chance to read it yet. So far it looks good, seems that they're still experimenting with the look of D&D Next. The art and maps are nice. Will read more fully later. I don't personally find the layout hard to read, but I see how others could. Hopefully they'll do as you suggest and put out a no background version.

One thing I noticed was that the dwarf on the cover is an Ironfist - part of the same clan as Khelgar from Neverwinter Nights 2. I like the fact that they're still integrating lore from computer games into the setting. Never understood why they didn't considered games "cannon" before. Especially since many poorly written novels set in the Realms were.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Right now I'm running Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle for my group. This appears to be a direct sequel to it. I kind of wish they hadn't sent out e-mails to everyone in existence announcing this adventure and then post spoilers of Dragonspear Castle in the description of the adventure.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if the Sundering adventures can actually be run as sequels of one another. Legacy of the Crystal Shard says it can be continued from the end of Murder in Baldur's Gate, but I haven't looked at the XP given out. One would assume that the PCs would be too high level to play Legacy after finishing Murder. If you run all 3 together, I would think the PCs would be higher than level 2 when they started Scourge.

What's frustrating for me, is if you wanted to run Legacy of the Crystal Shard as a sequel to Murder in Baldur's Gate;
They don't give you rules on how a DM could level up the threats. One little L&L article would help immensely. Even a rule of thumb would be awesome. Like in 4E, add +1 damage, +1 to attack, +1 defenses, and 8 hit points every time you level up a monster.

Hey Chris Perkins, come to our rescue, tell us your secrets on how you use shortcuts to run D&D Next! Please!

A sheet like this would be awesome http://slyflourish.com/master_dm_sheet.pdf

Blackwarder

Adventurer
What's frustrating for me, is if you wanted to run Legacy of the Crystal Shard as a sequel to Murder in Baldur's Gate;
They don't give you rules on how a DM could level up the threats. One little L&L article would help immensely. Even a rule of thumb would be awesome. Like in 4E, add +1 damage, +1 to attack, +1 defenses, and 8 hit points every time you level up a monster.

Hey Chris Perkins, come to our rescue, tell us your secrets on how you use shortcuts to run D&D Next! Please!

A sheet like this would be awesome http://slyflourish.com/master_dm_sheet.pdf

I'm pretty sure that you got some guidelines in the DM document in the playtest packets... And even if you don't, just add a couple of monsters to each encounter.

Warder

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
The Good

• This is a great little sandbox, especially when combined with Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. Sure, you need to mess around with the story and the levels but the potential is certainly there.
  • There's a lot of adventure material here despite what seems to be a relatively low page count.
  • The designers have put real effort into making interesting NPCs... and some complicated NPCs at that. I will leave it at that to avoid giving away any spoilers.
  • I really like the regional map... and not just because I am a Mike Schley fanboy. (And I am a Mike Schley fanboy.)
  • WotC is learning: this isn't Keep on the Shadowfell or Pyramid of Shadows. While I thought Murder in Baldur's Gate was self-indulgent rubbish - but which I also acknowledge a lot of other people liked - I've been otherwise really impressed with WotC's Next adventures: Ghosts, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, and now this.

The Bad

• This is not suitable for D&D Encounters. Again. (It's still a rather good adventure.)

The Ugly

• It would take about one minute to email Ed Greenwood to ask for some names that don't suck to replace the names that do suck. Real world names belong in d20 Modern or Savage Worlds, not in the Forgotten Realms. I don't want to see Anise, Belinda, Glenys, Jon etc.... Ed's pretty much established a certain sense when it comes to names in the Realms and I would rather see an extra minute's effort expended to make the names sound Realmsian.

(And, yes, I realise most people disagree with this opinion which is why it's under UGLY. ;) )

I have absolutely no interest in Next/Previous/Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition/Fifth Edition/Whatever Diaglo Is Going To Call It but if they keep publishing adventures as interesting and meaty as this and the other two I mentioned, I will remain a WotC customer.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I have absolutely no interest in Next/Previous/Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition/Fifth Edition/Whatever Diaglo Is Going To Call It but if they keep publishing adventures as interesting and meaty as this and the other two I mentioned, I will remain a WotC customer.
Well, this endorsement is the push I needed to go out and drop 17 bucks on one of those adventures to see for myself. First non-reprint rpg product I've bought from wotc in about 10 years. So wish me luck!

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
For those who are interested in turning the Delimbiyr Vale into a sandbox using bits of Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Scourge of the Red Wizards, I would also recommend reading Eric L Boyd's updated background information for N5 Under Illefarn that he has posted at Candlekeep.

If you go to the last post on this page you will find his write-up of a black dragon who would make an interesting BBEG for the region. And if you like that write-up, just keep reading that same thread as he includes details of a number of NPCs, magic items, and even an elven portal network. All good stuff if you want to really make this map come alive:

SotSC_Page_10_Image_0003.jpg

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
PDF updated with HiRes maps and 2nd level pre-gens

The DNDClassics file has been updated 2014-02-13 with a PDF of the Launch event map plus 2nd level pre-gens for the adventure.

Remove ads