• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

thoughts on Everquest D20

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
I saw it. It said Everquest, but strangely it was in a book store and not on the toliet paper isle of a Wal Mart where it belonged.

I also heard at the WOTC board some copies were missing entire chapters, so if you do lower yourself to this proverbial crap, beware you get a copy with all the contents.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
Silverthrone said:
I saw it. It said Everquest, but strangely it was in a book store and not on the toliet paper isle of a Wal Mart where it belonged.

I also heard at the WOTC board some copies were missing entire chapters, so if you do lower yourself to this proverbial crap, beware you get a copy with all the contents.

No offense, but your problem with it exactly is...?

Voadam

Legend
SemperJase said:
I just don't see this being a popular game. It will be interesting to see how this experiment works.

Plenty of games have been converted to computer, but this is the first MMRPG to table top. I just don't see a bunch of computer addicts wanting to go offline for their game. Too much prep time compared to the instant gratification of online play.

But, I may be wrong.

Diablo D&D came out much earlier, the 2nd edition product was excellent if a bit high powered, the 3rd edition one, well, it is a poor shadow of the 2nd edition material both flavor and mechanics wise.

reiella

Explorer
The mana system would be difficult, since it isn't level based, and all 'spells of a given level' are not created equal.

SemperJase is probably accurate to some extent, although the 'long prep time' would really be less of an issue for many of the 'end game' type players (after all, spending 100+ hours camping components to get into an area isn't by any means short term).

In all it's interesting, could have done with some more refinement (ie, using alot more named bonus types instead of depending on the spell line stacking to resolve those issues).

Although I doubt the intent is for it to create a long lasting game system to compete, but more so like most 'franchise' games. Especially seeing as how within 2 years, the basic framework of rules changes dramatically, and how in October, many 'rules' that are in place in the rpg books are changing in EQO.

For the price of the book, I am very tempted to pick it up. Regardless if you ever play the actual system, I am sure there is plenty of info that can be taken from the books.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I have to stress that we REALLY enjoyed our few games that we've plyaed using EQRPG.

But, we've put it on hold because we are at a level now where magic items would be nice, and I don't feel comfortable just popping in standard 3e magic items into this game world... so we are waiting until December and the (hopeful) release of the GMs book.

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
My main problem with it is that if what was said on WOTC is true, the book is missing pages, and they are in the middle, so consumers should be careful and check their book.

My personal problem with it is that it will either

A: Bring more vidkiddies into the hobby.

B: Bring even more table top video game mentality into the hobby.

or

C: Both A and B.

HellHound

A: Bring more vidkiddies into the hobby.

And we all know, the last thing we want is to let anyone ELSE play our games, right? Better not try to recruit new gamers, heck, the ones we have now still haven't been all used up yet!

Krash

First Post
Well, take it from me...if it is anything like the game, you will end up killing moss snakes end on end for 8 sessions on end and at the end of that you will be level 3.

Then you move onto another mind numbing process of xp gaining where you kill one monster per 1% of a point which can be used to buy skills, and most decent skills cost on a scale so level 1 is 3 points, level 2 is 6 points, and level 3 is 9 points.

Still, it looks like a very good translation of the game, you just have to take a different stance from the dnd game we all love so much.

HellHound

Krash - it's nothing like the description you gave. They purposefully changed the play environment and mechanics to be more like D&D. It's the flavour they have kept from EQ - the world, the classes, the races...

Remove ads