• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

thoughts on Everquest D20

Griswold

First Post
Fenes 2 said:

OMG! I Hope you mean the background, not the flavor that develops in play - "That is our monster, find your own!" "Let's camp guards!" "sowplz" etc.

Well, yes the background and the game mechanics. I think Norrath is a pretty cool place toi explore. Though is you look at the Boards over @ eqrpg.com that sort of flavor could very well develop.

Gris

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Silverthrone said:
My main problem with it is that if what was said on WOTC is true, the book is missing pages, and they are in the middle, so consumers should be careful and check their book.

I heard one person mention this, so I checked before I bought mine. All the pages are there. I'd wager it was just a one time error. And for the record, S&SS sent the guy who had the problem a free copy.

My personal problem with it is that it will either

A: Bring more vidkiddies into the hobby.

B: Bring even more table top video game mentality into the hobby.

or

C: Both A and B.

Seriously, I don't understand. What is your problem? You've displayed this same elitest attitude on every thread I've seen you on. Do you just come here to piss people off, or what?

Dragongirl

First Post
Silverthrone said:
........My personal problem with it is that it will either

A: Bring more vidkiddies into the hobby.......

Personally I would rather deal with some new players than deal with some air-in-the-nose snobbish.......must not use word I want to.........people that are around.

Last edited:

Silverthrone

Banned
Banned
I come here to post my opinions on any topics I believe I have one worth posting on.

Personally I would rather deal with some new players than deal with some air-in-the-nose snobbish.......must not use word I want to.........people that are around.

I believe the phrase is nose in the air. I don't like those types either. That is why I am against vidkiddies playing real RPGs. :)

Breakdaddy

First Post
HellHound said:

And we all know, the last thing we want is to let anyone ELSE play our games, right? Better not try to recruit new gamers, heck, the ones we have now still haven't been all used up yet!

hehe, nice one mate, and agreed! ;)

Corinth

First Post
What's the target audience for this game? All of the EQ addicts I know took one look at the game and said the following:
  • Why bother? If I want D&D, I'd play D&D.
  • Why bother? If I want EQ, I play EQ online.
  • Why bother? I can't freely transfer my character to and from the tabletop, so tabletopping is a waste of time.
  • No one gives a :):):):) about the background. It's all about XPs, and this doesn't give me XPs.
So who plays this game? Hell, I can't see the point in buying or playing such a blatant D&D clone; there is nothing here that isn't better off redesigned for 100% D&D compatibility and sold using both the OGL and the D20STL.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Silverthrone said:

My personal problem with it is that it will either

B: Bring even more table top video game mentality into the hobby.

or

C: Both A and B.

OR D: (I feel a bit attacked, but I know it wasn't meant) It could always be that when the video game generation (people who were born in 1985-1995, the ages of nintendo and sega-Before PS1) will find a totally new hobby from the game, and learn to be excellent cross-breed gamers, with a variety of "styles" of play already taught to them, and innumerable workable variations on written storylines at thier disposal: and be pretty fricken good at it.

Don't under-appreciate an entire generation. I know the "situations" you refer too... the kill monster for experience gamers, but not all of the people my age are hack-monsters.

ced1106

Explorer
Only generating characters for a low-level con game (20 chars so far!), but here's my impression:

* Evil races (dark elves, trolls, ogres) and classes (necromancers, shadow knights). Boohahahah. Actually, it's interesting converting these "goody two shoes" adventures from good to eeevil.

* Bards have their own spells, and the duration is as long as they can perform. Bards can "twist" songs, and play more than one spell (typically two) at once. As the GM, it's gonna be fun requiring bard players to actually sing two songs at once while combat occurs. ("Brave, brave, Sir Robin!")

* Abusive character race stats (+4 and +6). A first-level Barbarian Warrior I created has 20 STR and can do 2d6 + 7 with a two-handed greatsword. That's four dice of damage, folks. At +6 to hit, including the Weapon Focus feat.

* Mana Pool. But that's okay, since this first-level Dark Elf Wizard has a mana pool of 10, so can chuck five 1d8 Frost Bolts (or ten 1d6 Shock of Frosts) in one combat.

* Iterative attacks: These take place at higher levels. The Warrior won't get a second attack (like he needs one) until 6th level.

* Detect and Identify spells: Identify isn't until 5th level. AFAIK,
EQ RPG has **no** detect spells. Now I can actually have an investigative adventure withough having the players say, "HE'S EVIL! HE MUST HAVE DONE IT! KILL HIM!"

I picked it up b/c I hadn't bought the 3e PHB yet. The book is complete AFAIK.

I actually don't mind powerful first-level characters. They can actually **do** stuff, yet one good hit will take them down, just like the movies. If I wanted to play without over-powered characters, I wouldn't be playing d20.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
ced1106 said:
Only generating characters for a low-level con game (20 chars so far!), but here's my impression:

* Evil races (dark elves, trolls, ogres) and classes (necromancers, shadow knights). Boohahahah. Actually, it's interesting converting these "goody two shoes" adventures from good to eeevil.

* Bards have their own spells, and the duration is as long as they can perform. Bards can "twist" songs, and play more than one spell (typically two) at once. As the GM, it's gonna be fun requiring bard players to actually sing two songs at once while combat occurs. ("Brave, brave, Sir Robin!")

* Abusive character race stats (+4 and +6). A first-level Barbarian Warrior I created has 20 STR and can do 2d6 + 7 with a two-handed greatsword. That's four dice of damage, folks. At +6 to hit, including the Weapon Focus feat.

* Mana Pool. But that's okay, since this first-level Dark Elf Wizard has a mana pool of 10, so can chuck five 1d8 Frost Bolts (or ten 1d6 Shock of Frosts) in one combat.

* Iterative attacks: These take place at higher levels. The Warrior won't get a second attack (like he needs one) until 6th level.

* Detect and Identify spells: Identify isn't until 5th level. AFAIK,
EQ RPG has **no** detect spells. Now I can actually have an investigative adventure withough having the players say, "HE'S EVIL! HE MUST HAVE DONE IT! KILL HIM!"

I picked it up b/c I hadn't bought the 3e PHB yet. The book is complete AFAIK.

I actually don't mind powerful first-level characters. They can actually **do** stuff, yet one good hit will take them down, just like the movies. If I wanted to play without over-powered characters, I wouldn't be playing d20.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

None of those things seem like they'd be enough to overpower the PC's, when you consider the 300 HP kobolds ;)

Spenser

First Post
What's the target audience for this game? All of the EQ addicts I know took one look at the game and said the following...
Yeah, my EQ addict friends said pretty much the same thing. So, let's consider the other half of the equation: D&D players playing the EQ RPG.

Much of the activities in EQ-the-computer-game revolve around:
- killing lots, and I mean lots of monsters over and over in order to grind through levels.
- "camping" a particular creature for hours (or days... or even weeks...) in order to get a particular item.
Any DM who implements those aspects of EQ is not likely to last long.

So the only remaining aspect of EQ to implement is the campaign setting itself. I suppose this issue is endlessly debatable, but in my opinion, the Norrath campaign world is... ehhhh. Many of the campaign settings that people posted to these boards are a lot more interesting, not to mention the myriad published settings that are out there. So other than stealing a game mechanic here or there, I'm not sure what this book adds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads