Thoughts on new weapon ability

Urbanmech

Explorer
What does anyone think about this:

Enhanced (I can't really think of a better description of this ability)
This weapon when in the hands of a size Small or smaller user increases the damage die by 1 step as per the table in the DMG. For example a halfling using a short sword with this enchantment would deal 1d8 instead of 1d6.

Caster level: 5th; Prerequisite: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be size: Small or smaller; Market Price: +1

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• tumblr_nekupe418x1tyj78go1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nekupe418x1tyj78go1_1280.jpg
    707.5 KB · Views: 24,070

Wolf72

Explorer
first thing: you slowpoke! ... Slow? you haven't seen slow until you've seen an UrbanMech trying to go up hill! :)

2nd: and name for enchancement, dude go for old school. "LongTooth" when wielded by a small or smaller character the damage die is increased by one step.

being that this is only used by small(er) characters no weapons above medium size will ever be used.

(ps use the scaleing rule in the DMG?) [edit: speaking of slow, I just read that part of your post! :)]

ej

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
It seems weak. For the same cost adjustment, they could add an enhancement bonus or an elemental attack. The enhancement bonus will add about the same to damage and provides to-hit benefits, defeats DR, harder to break, etc.

graydoom

First Post
Seems pretty weak to me, too. Going from 1d6 to 1d8 has the same average effect as +1 damage does, and a +1 enhancement also gives +1 to hit and a couple other benefits.
IMO, the basic idea of the ability needs to be rethought, as the function is already fulfilled.

Urbanmech

Explorer
Maybe instead make it a feature that can be added to a weapon for a straight cost, like the weapons that grant a strenght bonus from Magic of Faerun. Maybe a flat 1000-1500 gp extra cost to the weapon to have the ability?

Wolf72

Explorer
you could always make it more like the original Longtooth ... let it cut thru stone, wood, and iron with equal ease.

as in it might ignore hardness or hardness is only half as effective.

[hill giant] aww luck da widdle 1/2wing gonna try to chop my smooshing stick

two rounds later the hill giants club is a bunch of tooth picks ...

milo

First Post
Make it a feat
Weapon Mastery
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus,BAB +2
Increase the damage dice of a single weapon that you have focus in by one step.

Dimenhydrinate

First Post
milo said:
Make it a feat
Weapon Mastery

SWEET!!!!!!! now if my human fighter can only get this one past the DM. Mercurial Gsword here I come!!!:D :D

edit for spelling mercurial w/o the extra r

Last edited:

graydoom

First Post
milo said:
Make it a feat
Weapon Mastery

We already have Weapon Specialization. IMO, that fulfills this function well enough.

Remove ads