• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Thoughts on spears...

Draxo

First Post
Slapzilla said:
Maybe add;
Just a thought bubble that popped up. As far as being the 'go-to' weapon, I wonder if it was as simple as you needed less metal for a spearhead than a sword. Hmm.

A multitude of reasons.

At its most basic level, the spear was simple to make, quick to make and cheap. However it was also very effective on the battlefield due to a combination of its reach, and the fact that it required less room to operate, very effective when fighting alongside other soldiers.

It could also be thrown, and required less training.

Wilphe

Adventurer
It is cheap (it's a bit of metal on the end of a long bit of wood).
&
It is used by people fighting in formation (In Europe anyway)

Neither is really true of PCs, therefore I don't expect them to use spears

Dannyalcatraz said:
Their final analysis showed that while thrusts were in a real sense deadlier individually, they didn't kill quickly- a mortally wounded opponent could still be a dangerous opponent for some minutes. A solid blow from a slashing or bludgeoning weapon, on the other hand, could reduce an opponent to helplessness without being immediately fatal, ending the fight quickly.
Good points. I had forgotten about the multiple fatal wound syndrome. I'm reminded of the claim that most fencers died from infection of the wounds rather than the wounds themselves.

Previously I had only considered hydrostatic shock from ballistic wounds. Using this logic, bludgeoning weapons would inflict the most damage given the greater surface area.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Griffith Dragonlake said:
Good points. I had forgotten about the multiple fatal wound syndrome. I'm reminded of the claim that most fencers died from infection of the wounds rather than the wounds themselves.

Previously I had only considered hydrostatic shock from ballistic wounds. Using this logic, bludgeoning weapons would inflict the most damage given the greater surface area.
Mostly, bludgeoning weapons are used for caving in armor and causing trauma to the person inside it. That sword might just skitter off an arm plate, but a hammer could dent it, and/or numb the arm inside it just enough to give you an advantage. You're essentially hitting it with the same tool someone used to beat it into that snazzy armor.

gothmaugCC

First Post
Shortspears are a relic of 3.0, before they "upgraded" to small and medium damage for every weapon. They were intended for use by small character races.

Also in our homegames we allow any polearm, including spears, to be used as a double weapon. For simplicities sake, the business end does 1d8 and the shaft end does 1d6 when dual wielding.

personally i hate the addition of small damage for every weapon, but thats a whole different ball of wax. I mean come on..how does a halfling swing a spiked chain..I dont care if its "small", its a damn reach weapon. I just cant see a 2'5" halfling swinging a 10' long chain. But perhaps its just me.

Anyhow back to spears. Mongoose publishing's Conan RPG has a prestige class (in teh Aquilonia sourcebook) called Gunderman pikemen. The class gives you the ability to use a spear in one hand and a shield in the other. Its real nice for formation fighting.

Felnar

First Post
Quartz said:
Dont you remember that scene in The Mask of Zorro? Alejandro Murrieta thought much the same before Don Diego de la Vega put him right.
or maybe Don Diego de la Vega just had higher BAB and hitpoints?

and as a fencer, i thought the swordplay in that movie was laughable (i.e. all popcorn movie flash)

Remove ads