Threads being marked as read

darjr

I crit!
We've just had a rash of bizare behavior here at work suspiciously like this. It involved firefox 8 and the only way to clear it up was to delete everything out of history. Cookies and forms and all.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I hope we can fix this. I logged on to ENworld and took a phone call. When I got off the phone and checked a forum it had marked everything as read, and updated my last visit to 5 minutes ago.

Which naturally means I missed all the threads from yesterday to today....bummer.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We've just had a rash of bizare behavior here at work suspiciously like this. It involved firefox 8 and the only way to clear it up was to delete everything out of history. Cookies and forms and all.
Interesting. I'm using firefox 3.6 at home, and I'm not sure if this problem happens when I log out from home. Will have to check what version I'm using at work...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm. Strange. I have the opposite problem - threads I know I have read are not getting marked as such. I'll do the "clear cache dance" later, and see if that helps.

Dice4Hire

First Post
\I use Chrome and have cleared the cache, and Meta is permanently marked read. Other forums are fine, I think, but not sure as they show much smaller numbers of threads unread than I am used to. Are people posting less these days?

IronWolf

blank
Hm. Strange. I have the opposite problem - threads I know I have read are not getting marked as such. I'll do the "clear cache dance" later, and see if that helps.

I am seeing this more often than threads marked read. Using Chrome.

EDIT: HHmmm, I just had all my threads get marked read again it seems. I just checked the Story Hour forum which I never go into and all threads before 11:30pm Eastern tonight were marked read. I also see my Subscribed threads (via the Settings menu) go from showing me only unread threads to showing me read and unread threads).

This all started happening when the News forum was moved to the top of the forum list. No clue if it is related, but that is about the time this started to happen.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Still problems for me.

Everything time stamped after my "You last visited" is marked read. Regardless of whether I read it or not. It didn't used to do this.

I like reading a thread or two then doing other stuff, returning later. This appears to be updating my last visit (good) and marking everything before it read (bad).

Now I cant tell what I haven't read.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Digging into the user settings and reading the help page I found this:

"The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower."

The first paragraph is how it used to work for me.

Did we turn this logging off in order to speed up the forum?

IronWolf

blank
Everything time stamped after my "You last visited" is marked read. Regardless of whether I read it or not. It didn't used to do this.

I need to watch closer, but I think this matches what I am seeing when all the threads are marked read. I will pay attention and see. It does match at the moment, all threads marked read prior to my last visit time.

"The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower."

Glad you saw this as well. After a bit of googling I saw that there was a time limit option being mentioned for vBulletin installs as well. I agree, it used to work like the first paragraph for me, now it seems more like a variation of the second.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Did we turn this logging off in order to speed up the forum?

Damn good catch! Well spotted - I just checked and that's exactly what it is. I'll try switching it back on and we'll see what happens.

Remove ads