Three Dragon Ante

ourchair

First Post
Has anybody played Three Dragon Ante? I'm interested in incorporating it into my games but I have no idea how it's played or even if it's any good.

Oh and I must direct the same query to Inn Fighting.

Last edited:

Mort_Q

First Post
There are now two Three Dragon Ante decks, and although I have the new one, Emperors Gambit iirc, I haven't played with it yet.

I enjoy it, and my non-RPG friends play it gladly.

I am also interested in reading about Inn Fighting.

King Nate

First Post
The game is fun. I played with a couple people from my campaign outside our campaign game and we played in character. Since I'm the DM I was playing a NPC. Another player who is not part of the campaign also played a NPC. Later in our actual campaign game I brought in the NPC I played in as an easter egg for those players that played in the TDA game. It was neat. We have wanted to do it again in character but we have not had the downtime in the campaign game to allow us to play in character again. But we play out of character all the time.

Nytmare

David Jose
I've played both, though I've played more Inn Fighting than Three Dragon Ante. I haven't played either as an in-game, game.

If I were going to incorporate one of them into a game, I'd choose Three Dragon Ante. Although Inn Fighting has (at least if I'm remembering correctly) rules that allow you to use your character stats to influence the game, Three Dragon Ante would feel less anachronistic in the kinds of games I run.

Another game that lives in the same genre as Inn Fighting is Red Dragon Inn (The Red Dragon Inn | Board Game | BoardGameGeek) Between the three of them, the one I like best is Red Dragon Inn.

Tony Vargas

Legend
We have the newer one, Emperor's Gambit, but I've also gotten to play the original a few times. It's a fun game. My DM hasn't incorporated it into her game yet, but she keeps saying she intends to. It would likely be as some sort of plot hook - a mysterious NPC loses some significant item to a PC, that leads them into the next scenario. That kinda thing.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
The game itself is great fun, but I would never incorperate it into an actual rpg session. It would seem too commercially-cheesy, like having to play with WotC brand dice or something. I'd be more inclined to have characters gambling using dice, lots, or betting on the outcomes of various competitions.

Remove ads