Three new spells (including two utility spell)

billking

First Post
Dim Vision
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Standard touch spell (in terms of casting time, targets, etc.)
Duration: Permanent
Save: Fort; SR: Yes

The subject's vision is mostly ruined, but it can make out vague shapes. Treat this as having everything else be in near total darkness (darkvision doesn't help). Near total darkness provides nine-tenths cover (40% miss chance to attacks).
Any spell which removes blindness removes dim vision.

Page
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: Instantaneous

As sending, except no message is sent, and the subject is sent a mental description of the location from which the page is sent. The description is from the point of view of the caster and formed from his or her thoughts, not an actual image of the location.

Conversation
Illusion (Phantasm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Unlimited
Target: Personal
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Conversation establishes a link between two creatures, after which visual and auditory representations appear before both, allowing them to converse as if in the same room.
The spell is initiated by the character sending a special message revealing his* identity and a telepathic message informing the subject of his intent to speak and instructing him to concentrate to initiate the illusion. If the subject does not immediately answer this message, the character can continue sending this message, once per round, by maintaining concentration.
Once the subject answers the call, a phantasmal duplicate of the character appears in front of the subject and vice versa. The phantasms mimic the actions of the creature they represent, including visual, auditory, olfactory, thermal and even tactile elements, allowing each illusion to push, pull, or possibly even injure the other creature. After the phanstasms appear, concentration is no longer required to maintain the spell. Either creature may will to break this link at any time, ending the spell; this is a nonaction action.
Across planes, conversation has a 1% cumulative chance to fail each round, ending the spell. (A roll of 1 first round, a roll of 1 or 2 second round, 1-3 third round, etc.)
*actually his/her, but this description gets too wordy if I write it out that way. :p

Last edited:

Larcen

Explorer
Dim Vision is neat but I think a permanent duration is kinda powerful for a 1st level spell. Not sure.

Since Page doesn't give you a direction/distance sense, it seems to only be good for Teleport type spells, right? Seems a bit limited in it's usefulness then. Most of the time what you will get is a vision of woods, a cave, or something, with no idea how to get there. Am I missing something?

Converstaion is way cool. Too bad it's so high level. :(

billking

First Post
I think Page might be a half-baked idea. I'll probably not use it.

I'll change dim vision's duration to 1 day/level. Since 1st-level characters don't have access to remove blindness/deafness, a permanent duration is, as you said, too harsh; although 1 day/level is also pretty nasty.

If you think conversation is too high in level, I'd like to remind you how flexible the spell is. Nothing is stopping the character casting the spell from, say, contacting his lover and engaging in a romantic encounter, provided that both have some privacy. (Should this be in the "carnal knowledge" thread?) Conversation is almost as good as being there.

Larcen

Explorer
billking said:
If you think conversation is too high in level...
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it's not the appropriate level. Just that it's beyond us low-level spellcasters.

Kinda like: "Meteor Swarm is way cool. Too bad it's so high level." ;)

Last edited:

knight_isa

First Post
I think I'd change Dim Vision to 1 hour/level.

I really don't see the point of Page.

Conversation is great! It's well balanced, and it's darn cool. It's good to see a useful, non-combat, high-level illusion spell. Good work!

billking

First Post
Which name do you think is better, conversation or phantasmal conversation?
One sounds more like a proper illusion spell; but the other is simpler and carries that sweet irony of having conversation be a high-level spell for a D&D player. :p

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
Conversation (slightly modified)

I like Conversation. I'll be using a slightly modified version (edited mostly for style):

Conversation
Illusion Phantasm
Mind-Affecting
Sor/Wiz 8
Components V, S
Duration 1 minute/level (D)
Casting Time 10 minutes
Saving Throw
Will negates (harmless)
Range Unlimited
Spell Resistance Yes (harmless)
Target/Effect/Are One creature

You establish a link with another creature with whom you are familiar, after which visual and auditory representations appear before you and it, allowing you to converse as if in the same room.

You initiate this spell by sending a special message revealing your identity and a telepathic message informing the target of your intent to speak and instructing it to concentrate to initiate the illusion. If the target does not immediately answer this message, you may attempt to establish the link prior to the expiration of this spell, however you may only attempt to establish the link a number of times equal to your caster level.

Once the target accepts the link, phantasmal duplicates of you and it appear before the other. The phantasms perfectly mimic the actions of the creature they represent, including visual, auditory, olfactory, thermal and even minor tactile elements.

Either you or the target can dismiss this spell at any time.

If the conversation spell is cast across it has a 1% cumulative chance to fail each round, ending the spell. (A roll of 1 first round, a roll of 1 or 2 second round, 1-3 third round, etc.)

Last edited:

Darklone

Real nice spells

I like Dim vision and 1 hour per level or 1 day per level does not really matter... keep in mind it's a touch spell...

Really like them. There are so few nice spells like this in the official books.

Remove ads