Three new Star Wars movies

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah some sort of spirit and new clone body or outright clone.

Not the best idea but better than what we got.
I dont think they even needed a clone body or anything physical. His ghost would warp Ben Solo and then eventually want to take over Rey and come back to life. Boom, done.

Zardnaar

Legend
I dont think they even needed a clone body or anything physical. His ghost would warp Ben Solo and then eventually want to take over Rey and come back to life. Boom, done.

That works to. Dumb thing is Palps could gave another clone body out there.

Clint_L

Hero
I was fine with Palpatine returning just not the execution of it.

And do it earlier in the trilogy.
I am not. This franchise needs to start coming up with more fresh ideas.

Andor works because it actively avoids Star Wars cliches and is instead real science fiction - what would it be like if the Empire was an actual thing rather than just a bunch of stock villains? How does an attempt to use technology to create a perfectly ordered society actually manifest? Why do some people with understandable, sometimes even positive motivations wind up do horrible things? Why do other people, sometimes with lousy motivations, wind up doing great things? How does "the tighter you clench your fist, the more systems slip through your fingers" actually manifest (it turns out, not without a lot of effort and violence).

And I was so happy that Easter eggs were kept to a minimum, and only there in service of the story.

The Emperor is just a cartoon supervillain, cackle and all. He was fine in the first trilogy where Lucas was working with archetypes, but at this point I need something more.

Andor would have been good - if it had been a Blake's 7 reboot rather than Star Wars.

Star Wars was never intended to be "real science fiction", it was intended to be mythic fantasy with a sci-fi reskin.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
It honestly didn't bother me. It fits with the whole pulpy action/adventure vibe, of which the opening crawl is a big part. It's that whole "Here's a bit of context, now let's jump right in!"
I agree. I actually really enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, to tell you the truth. The map on the dagger makes little-to-no sense, and there were some missed opportunities (e.g. to have the First Order under the direction of Ben Skywalker take on Palatine's fleet would have mirrored the Republic becoming the Empire), but the core drama of Rey and Ben around which the film (and episodes 7-9) revolved is strong. The themes are relevant and much (though not all) of the threads over the years are tied up. I was surprised to see the promise from Palpatine to Anakin in Revenge of the Sith that there is a way to keep Padme from dying fulfilled in Ben's sacrificial resuscitation of Rey. In short, Rise of Skywalker was good enough to help me appreciate the fulfilled potential of the Prequels by tying up the entire 9-10 episode (I include Rogue One) series.

Yora

Legend
The emperor coming back as a clone on a hidden planet where he stockpiled a massive fleet for his return is a straight ripoff of Dark Empire, the dumbest and most notorious of all EU storylines.
They decided they don't want the EU because they strive for higher quality and then they just adapt the worst of the EU for their main line movies?

Remove ads