Three Questions

Kirowan

First Post
I'm thinking about not requiring sorcerers to use any spell components. Has anyone tried this? If so, how do you describe spells that require a somatic component? For example, when casting a fireball, the caster must point at his target area and then a bead of fire flies from his hand. How would you describe this from a sorcerer's point of view? (In my game, sorcerers represent advanced wizards that do not require "props" any longer.)

Also, does anyone let their wizards and clerics trade higher level spell slots for lower level spells when preparing? If so, how does that work for you? If not, what do you think?

Does anyone know why WOTC uses dodge bonuses for certain defenses and not others? It seems random. For example, an off-hand parry provides a +2 dodge bonus, but a master of chain's deflect attacks ability provides a +4 deflection bonus. They are both "deflecting" attacks. I don't get it. BTW, deflection bonuses don't stack, do they?

Thanks!

Kirowan said:
I'm thinking about not requiring sorcerers to use any spell components. Has anyone tried this?

I've gotten rid of material components entirely, only requiring them when the item is integral, like a gem for Trap the Soul. I keep verbal components, though, because I'm a fan of anime, in which people typically shout out their attacks. Instead of chanting an incantation, a sorcerer might just shout, "FIRE-BALL!" As for somatic components, again, I require these only slightly. Sorcerers have to gesture somehow, as it directs the magic, but they don't have to make bizarre gestures. You could hurl out your hand for a fireball, or lay a palm across your heart for a spell that targets yourself.

It's worked fine, and makes the game a little more fun. It also differentiates sorcerers and wizards, with sorcerers being more flamboyant.

Also, does anyone let their wizards and clerics trade higher level spell slots for lower level spells when preparing? If so, how does that work for you? If not, what do you think?

You mean this isn't already a core rule? Why not? I don't see how this is at all a necessary balancing factor. I doubt it would be unbalancing to use a 9th level spell slot to cast a cantrip, if you really wanted to.

Does anyone know why WOTC uses dodge bonuses for certain defenses and not others? It seems random. For example, an off-hand parry provides a +2 dodge bonus, but a master of chain's deflect attacks ability provides a +4 deflection bonus. They are both "deflecting" attacks. I don't get it. BTW, deflection bonuses don't stack, do they?

Thanks!

I don't get it either. Are you sure the 'deflection' bonus from Master of Chains isn't just errata? Deflection bonuses are typically from magic that repels attacks, like Rings of Protection. I'd just run the Master of Chains' ability as a Dodge bonus instead of Deflection.

Kirowan

First Post
Re: Re: Three Questions

RangerWickett said:

I don't get it either. Are you sure the 'deflection' bonus from Master of Chains isn't just errata? Deflection bonuses are typically from magic that repels attacks, like Rings of Protection. I'd just run the Master of Chains' ability as a Dodge bonus instead of Deflection.

It's not errata. I already checked.

Romotre

First Post
Kirowan said:

This is useful not only when you need the specfic spell at a lower level, but when your ability score is high than your lvl. That is, at 1st lvl, a sorc with 18 cha get a bonus 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lvl spell. But since he only has access to 1st lvl spells, you could use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th lvl slots as 1st lvl spells (or meta-magic enhanced spells). This is the rule i play by anyway.

Tyrion

First Post
Like you said, deflection bonuses don't stack while dodge bonuses do...making dodge bonuses much more valuable.

That's why I think WoTC made the Master of Chains' ability deflection for balance reasons. If their ability was a dodge bonus, they could put on, say, a Ring of Protection (which provides a deflection bonus) and boost their AC more easily. And I know many would take the class simply for a permanent +4 AC boost.

Akunin

First Post
Re: Re: Three Questions

Romotre said:
But since he only has access to 1st lvl spells, you could use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th lvl slots as 1st lvl spells (or meta-magic enhanced spells). This is the rule i play by anyway.

That works as a good house rule, and I don't see it being THAT abusive, unless your character had a really high CHA (and if so, who only take a few levels in Sorcerer?) but by the book, you don't get bonus slots of a specific spell level until you "spells per day" entry for that level of spells has a 0 or greater listed.

coyote6

Adventurer
Three Answers

1) Monte Cook's alternate sorcerer does away with material components (focuses, too, IIRC) for sorcerers, too. So it has been done. :)

Note that some spells are balanced by having expensive components; you might want to carefully consider whether those spells will get out of hand without the restraint of the components' cost. Monte's sorcerer charges 1/5th the gp value in XP, FWIW.

Me, I've considered giving all sorcerers the Eschew Materials feat for free.

2) Yes, that's allowed. It's in the PHB, p. 148: "You always have the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with a lower-level spell."

3) Balance, basically. Dodge bonuses stack with other dodge bonuses, and do so freely. (They also are lost when you lose your Dex bonus to AC, which differentiates them from unnamed bonuses.) Deflection bonuses don't stack with other deflection bonuses. So, they didn't want the master of chain's ability to stack with other deflection effects; they also wanted it to always work (IIRC), even when the master of chains is flatfooted (or even helpless). Ergo, it's a deflection bonus (as for arcanobabble: the chains knock attacks away, thus it's a deflection bonus).

Remove ads