• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What makes an TTRPG a "Narrative Game" (Daggerheart Discussion)

thefutilist

Adventurer
I don’t think I’d use a resolution system that prioritised intent in that way. The only games I can think of off the top of my head that do it are The Shadow of Yesterday and The Burning Wheel (both debatably).

The issue is that the intent tends to drown out the immediate diegetic conflict and the framing inoculates a specific view of the fiction AND the creative relationship. And this view, well to put it mildly, I’m really really not a fan.

I come more from the school where you do kind of go ‘that was what the living world required of me.’ I mean there is no living world, just a conversation and certain procedures, but ‘what the living world required of me’ is a good short hand for what’s a fairly involved aesthetic process.

I think I’m fairly familiar with where you’re coming from though. A lot of people on the Story Games forum held similar views and I think a lot of PbtA players also have a similar approach.

pemerton

Legend
this isn't really about mechanics. It is about deciding the themes sticking to them while framing the fiction.
What's the process, in D&D, for a PC hoping to meet a friend or ally - and having a chance of doing so - but also having a chance of an enemy turning up instead to rain on their parade?

What's the process, in D&D, for having a king's guards turf a PC out of the castle into the moat that doesn't have a real chance, and likelihood, of escalating into a deadly conflict?

What's the process, in D&D, for a PC attempting to shame a NPC into taking some action, and having the redound upon them, so that they are the one who has to carry the weight of embarrassment?

What's the process, in D&D, for a PC to persuade a skeleton lord to give up their guardianship of their forlorn forest, and instead convert from heathenism and have the bones of them and their followers placed in the PCs reliquary?

What's the process, in D&D, for two characters to argue about whether or not one will mend the armour of the other, with the outcome of the argument not just being chosen by one or other controlling participant, and with the outcome being binding at the table?

I would just want people to articulate why they think it is these mechanics, instead of the fiction and themes they choose that produce this difference. Like that is the part I don't get.
The above examples are intended to provide some illustrations. If all that can be staked and resolved, without the outcome just being GM fiat, is PC death, then it is hard to address other thematic concerns.

If resolution processes are highly technical and mostly involve mathematical decision-making and optimisation without those decisions and processes generating thematically meaningful fiction - ie if they closely resemble AD&D hp-attrition combat - then it is hard to address other thematic concerns.

If the outcomes of declared actions will be decided by the GM primarily by reference to and extrapolation from their idea of the fiction, and if they main way for the players to learn what that is is via low-stakes action declarations that "poke" at the fiction to prompt the GM to reveal it in ways that don't hose the PCs, then it is hard to make high-stakes thematic concerns a regular focus of play.

Perhaps it is about the difference between principles and mechanics. Like I totally get why principles matter for this great deal, and I am way less convinced that the mechanics matter that much.
The two are intimately bound up. For instance, a principle that says "be a fan of the PCs" is not very useful if the main procedure actually available for scene-framing is for the players to declare that their PCs enter a building (or similar complex) mapped and keyed by the GM, to then declare that their PCs enter certain rooms or open certain doors, with the GM then telling the players what they see and who they encounter by reference to the key.

A GM move like "announce badness" is not very workable if there is no process that tells the GM when to do it or not do it, and if there is no process whereby the players can have their PCs reliably respond to the announced badness.

Here's a concrete example that Edwards gives:

The time to traverse town with super-running is deemed insufficient to arrive at the scene, with reference to distance and actions at the scene, such that the villain's bomb does blow up the city. (The rules for DC Heroes specifically dictate that this be the appropriate way to GM such a scene).​

He labels this "simulationism overriding narrativism". What he means by that is that a faithful application of the mechanics - where the goal of the mechanics is to model time and space and to permit extrapolation of events from that modelling, without any regard to emotional or thematic considerations - can and likely will result in outcomes that undermine a focus on premise and theme. If you're using this sort of resolution engine, then "announcing badness" does not contribute to rising action: it just taunts the players!

To elaborate further on the previous paragraph: I have more than once seen the complaint that, in a game like AW or BitD or BW, a player can make things worse off by declaring an action, because if the action fails then the GM doesn't just say "nothing happens" but rather narrates some adverse consequence. This orientation is precisely a response to the sort of example just given - ie the GM's announcing of badness is just taunting, because the resolution engine does not in any way guarantee the players an actual meaningful capacity to influence that badness or the threatened outcome - it all just depends on how the GM has made decisions about time and space, and how those all combine to deliver a yes or no answer.

Here's Vincent Baker's basic theory of how to get narrativist RPGing:

After setup, what a game's rules do is control how you resolve one situation into the next. If you're designing a Narrativist game, what you need are rules that create a) rising conflict b) across a moral line c) between fit characters d) according to the authorship of the players. Every new situation should be a step upward in that conflict, toward a climax and resolution. Your rules need to provoke the players, collaboratively, into escalating the conflict, until it can't escalate no more.

Character creation in a Narrativist game might work by creating characters who, in some key way, have nowhere else to go. Life o' Crime, the rpg: create a character who owes somebody more money than he can repay.

Setting in a Narrativist game might work by applying pressure to that key point in the characters. Life o' Crime: there's recession, few jobs, no way up or out, but worse class difference than ever before anywhere. You see wealth but no opportunity.

Situation in a Narrativist game works by increasing the pressure. Life o' Crime: Someone depends on your character to bring home groceries and pay rent. Someone else has just been evicted and is facing homelessness. Someone else asks you if you know where to get drugs. Someone else just got beaten by the authorities. Someone else just got beaten by the guy you owe money to. Someone else offers to cut you in on a job. Someone else wants the whole take for himself. Someone else knew you'd never amount to anything. Someone else can't be trusted. Someone else can be.

System in a Narrativist game works, again, by resolving one situation into the next. Life o' Crime: what do you do? How does it work out for you? Does it a) hurt? b) give you breathing room? c) piss someone else off? d) hurt someone else? and/or e) set you back? How does it increase the pressure? Remember the moral line defined by your Premise, and remember that the players are the authors!

And Color permeates a Narrativist game same as any other. Life o' Crime: is it Thatcher's England? Victoria's England? Shakespeare's England? Bush's US? Hoover's US? Colonial Massachussetts? Mars? The Kingdom of Thringbora? The details change, but the core of character situated in setting - the fit characters locked into conflict defined by a moral line - doesn't.​

Many D&D characters are not, by default, "fit". It's not a coincidence that the narrativist AD&D I was GMing in the second half othe 1980s involved thieves, and OA bushi and kensai: AD&D thieves are fit (not unlike Baker's own "Life o' Crime" example) and so are the OA characters, with their family loyalties and tensions and martial arts masters and rivals.

D&D does not make it easy to create pressure via setting and situation, in part because the default setting is one in which the PCs are wanderers or strangers, and in part because the GM often presents the setting or situation with an answer already in mind - the players will have their PCs choose the plothook and take up the quest. The narrativist AD&D I was running eschewed plot hooks and adventures, and used the hooks built into the PCs to create situations out of the setting that allowed the players to choose "across the moral line" (in OA, very roughly, honour vs glory; in the thief game, again pretty roughly, good-hearted roguishness vs genuine villainy).

And perhaps most significantly, the system in D&D doesn't easily establish how things work out, other than hit points lost and gear or spells expended. It is hard to get binding results of breathing room, or social or emotional set-backs, for instance, because (i) the process of action declaration in D&D doesn't make it easy for a player to put this sort of thing at stake, and (ii) a GM in D&D has a lot of liberty to decide how things happen more-or-less independently of how the actions resolve.

As I've posted already, and reiterated in this thread, I've GMed narrativist AD&D. And also narrativist RM. But I wouldn't go back to either system now, because better systems are available. For me, that's Torchbearer and Prince Valiant rather than AD&D (some might opt for Dungeon World instead), and Burning Wheel rather than Rolemaster (The Riddle of Steel would be another option in this general space, I guess).

pemerton

Legend
If players are not part of the assemblage, then we should not expect that they contribute/rearrange/change any signifiers. On surface that contradicts what you have argued in this and other threads so I wondered what reconciliation you have in mind between those positions?
An assemblage is a collection of things - of "signifiers" to use your jargon.

The creator of the assemblage is not part of the assemblage, except perhaps in some special cases (like some happenings or other artist-participant artworks).

Players can "change signifiers" - that is, they can imagine stuff and invite their fellow game participants to imagine the same things - without themselves being elements of what is imagined, nor without themselves being cues to what is imagined.

innerdude

Legend
I don’t think I’d use a resolution system that prioritised intent in that way. The only games I can think of off the top of my head that do it are The Shadow of Yesterday and The Burning Wheel (both debatably).

I can definitely confirm that Ironsworn and Ironsworn: Starforged have mechanics that either explicitly or implicitly ask players and GM to prioritize intent over "hidden backstory." That once agreed-upon stakes and fictional positioning align with the result of invoking the mechanics, that the player can and should expect to receive the benefit outlined in the intent of his/her action.

But it isn't a free-for-all. Without valid fictional positioning, as agreed between GM and player(s), and giving the system its say via mechanical resolution, considerations of the character's intent and stakes are null and void.

When you have the confluence of all three, then and only then is the GM expected to adhere to the intent.

The issue is that the intent tends to drown out the immediate diegetic conflict and the framing inoculates a specific view of the fiction AND the creative relationship. And this view, well to put it mildly, I’m really really not a fan.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the intent tends to drown out the immediate diegetic conflict." What exactly is this claim?

By the same token, how does altering the state of the fiction to account for player intent---by agreement of being bound by the rules of the game---"inoculate" (if I'm reading this right, you mean it in the sense of "preventing outside alteration or brooking argument") a specific view of the fiction and the creative relationship?

My initial reading is that it suggests that fiction-first/narrative style gaming, when enacted via rule, creates a contrariwise view of the fiction that the GM can no longer gainsay. And my response to that would be, "Well yes, because that's really rather the point," but I am very much curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Running roughshod over your players thematic intentions and stakes in regard to their character isn't something that happens in trad play because the GM is a jerk. It happens because the GM largely either doesn't know, or largely hasn't been enculturated to value those inputs into how (s)he runs the game.
It can also happen because the game rules tell you that's how it done. Not far upthread I quoted Edwards's illustration from DC Heroes. Rolemaster has a lot of this too, built into its resolution processes.

pemerton

Legend
I'm also very much encouraged by some things I read recently from Eero Tuovinen, which is that it's okay to embrace the GM role as "Story Hour" provider for trad play, as long as you as GM are doing the work to create a "story" structure worth playing through.

If it's agreed upon with you and your players that you're largely going to be playing through elements of a "structured story" together---and what else is module and/or adventure path play than this?---that you and your players are along for the ride together, and largely understand the structures and limits of what the entails.
Both @Manbearcat and I have, for many years, posted about CoC as a suitable vehicle for this sort of railroad play. From the player side, it's all about the colour and the emoting of the descent into insanity. The GM needs to do a good job of compellingly conveying the colour. They can't just phone it in.

(I've never tried to GM this sort of CoC. But I've enjoyed playing it.)

pemerton

Legend

@Campbell prefers AW to BW because AW's procedures increase the "diegetic" immediacy and don't include the BW-esque intent stuff.

(At least, I think that's so. @Campbell will tell me if I'm wrong!)

hawkeyefan

Legend
Both @Manbearcat and I have, for many years, posted about CoC as a suitable vehicle for this sort of railroad play. From the player side, it's all about the colour and the emoting of the descent into insanity. The GM needs to do a good job of compellingly conveying the colour. They can't just phone it in.

(I've never tried to GM this sort of CoC. But I've enjoyed playing it.)

I'm currently a player in a Delta Green game. The GM is running the Impossible Landscapes campaign. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. The GM is bringing his A-game, and 3 of the 4 players are as well.

thefutilist

Adventurer
" but I am very much curious to hear your thoughts on that.
I made a bit of a hash of that last post. I’ll try and explain more thoroughly but it’s a hard subject and to write diplomatically would take too long. So I’m going to have to attack a huge amount of Narrativist play.

Hidden backstory is stuff given fictional positioning that the players aren’t yet aware of.

This became an ‘apparent’ problem because of the important papers in the safe. There are some important papers in the safe and the character tries to pick the lock, is successful and opens the safe. Yet there are no papers to be found. (cue the tears)

Everybody who has ever had a problem with that has massively misdiagnosed why their play was dysfunctional. So they do the really silly thing and try and fix it at the mechanical level.

A common resolution system break down goes as follows. There is an intent (get the papers from the safe), there is an execution (use my lock picking tools to open the safe). And there is an effect (the safe is open and I can get the papers)

That seems to solve the problem because now we’re rolling for intent, not for execution. The GM can no longer welch us.

This basically leads to ‘solving’ the tyrant GM problem by ignoring the actual problem and then destroying the fundamentals of the medium. You’re ignoring fictional positioning and using the resolution system as a back story generator. Everybody is having great fun, lots of hi-jinx. The GM can even get in on the action. You failed a roll so goons kick down the door. The resolution system is at this point just giving narrative control. Everyone is rolling to force their version of events into being. You can see this most clearly by how people use ‘on a miss’ in PbtA games.

Or the other version. You roll for intent and it has be situationally binding. You have to meet the princess which means you have to skip straight to meeting her. It basically cuts the scene (stops escalation as well but that’s almost incidental at this point).

If you don’t immediately cut the scene you have to try and railroad each other towards a preset destination. Nothing of consequence can happen in case it messes up the stakes, that you’ve earned by rolling for them.

If you’re familiar with Apocalypse World you’ll see people who think intent is binding get really confused by the seize by force move. They’ve rolled for it and yet the GM can immediately take it away again.

Anyway on the creative level what starts to happen is that there’s just a push and pull over the course of the story. The fundamental dysfunction hasn’t been fixed and if you’re not 17 then you’ll almost inevitably have to change the role of the GM. Or in games without a GM everybody becomes the GM.

This new GM ends up being a facilitator of the players. They’re not actually answering premise because their job is to challenge the players characters. They have the same (or similar) relationship to the players as Brennan Lee-Mulligan or Matt Mercer has to their players.

So that’s my issue.

Now I’ll talk about what the original dysfunction was/is for anyone who finds my ranting at all compelling.

Yeah it is kind of the GM having story control but probably not in the way most people think.

The basic act of role-playing is that I say something, you listen to what I say and use that when you say something in return.

Creative agenda pay off is the shared social reward between two people. If there’s an agenda mismatch. Say you open the safe and there’s nothing there and the GM grins at you like you’re an idiot (which is rewarding for both people with a G agenda). Then if you’re playing for story you’ll be really confused as to what’s going on. There is no communal reward, you just do actually feel like an idiot. If the GM is exerting plot control as well. You’re already in the bad creative relationship I outline above, just a different version of it. The GM is still and always will be a tyrant but now you have system tools to wield against them.

So what should the relationship look like?

You’re both interested in where the fiction leads by fundamentally disinvesting your control of it. You shouldn't want to meet the princess (as author), it should simply not be a concern. As audience, yeah, you can want your character to meet her all you want. In fact play is a failure if you aren’t emotionally invested in certain things happening. That just has no impact at all (or very minimal) in how you utilise the fiction and system. That’s both of you. Even in a gmless game that should be the attitude. As author you do not care.

So what do you do as author? Well you make creative decisions in line with what has been established with no regard to the outcome. One common way of doing this is known colloquially as ‘Doing what my character does’ or as GM ‘doing what my character does (as NPC)’ (I'm dumbing this down but that’s the basic gist of it)

Then we’re both in this together, looking at how the game fictions internal logic and causality drive play.

So back to the safe. You open it and there’s nothing there. Your character might be annoyed, you might be annoyed on behalf of your character. But if you’re annoyed as a player, you’re doing it wrong.

Remove ads