Throwing your buddy with Mighty Throw [Bo9S]

Patlin

Explorer
Warning: This whole idea is 1) silly and 2) easilly considered an abuse of a rule. Still, I'm interested in how it works.

Here's the idea: I've got a very weak but dexterous swordsage who is taking the maneuver "Mighty Throw" at 1st level. Mighty Throw is pretty cool for this character as it allows you to use your dexterity for a trip attempt, and to throw your target a significant distance based on how much you win the trip attempt by. It occurs to me that the distance is significant enough that it could easilly outperform using the Jump skill. Conveniently, unlike higher level versions of the maneuver, it doesn't deal any damage as a result of the throw... it just repositions the target and renders them prone.

Consider a first level party confronted by a chasm, which they decide to cross. The above character decides to assist the less athletic by actually throwing them over the chasm, using this maneuver. Here's the rules question: since the distance they can throw the character is reduced by the trip check of the character being thrown, how low can a cooperating target get his trip check?

For comparison, you can definitely intentionally flub a saving throw, but I do not believe their is such a rule for allowing yourself to be tripped. Conceivably, the thrown character could do the following:

1) Take a 1 on the roll
2) Treat their strength/dex as 0, for a -5
3) Aid another, potentially granting the throwing character a +2

Which if any of the above 3 should be allowed, and is there any other way to increase the disparity between the throwing and thrown characters trip score?

I believe the distance thrown is 10' + 5' per 5 points by which the trip score is beaten. I don't have the book in front of me, but that's the general set up.

sukael

First Post
Mighty Throw throws the target a flat 10 feet (or less, if the swordsage feels like decreasing it), so the amount by which the Trip check is beaten doesn't have any real bearing on things.

I'd say (2) seems quite reasonable as a general rule. It makes sense that a completely cooperating character would count as "otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy". The swordsage would get an extra +4 on the attempt, too.

But that PC had better be sure the swordsage doesn't get any ill intentions towards him before the next time they try this trick!

EDIT: Incidentally, Devastating Throw (swordsage 3rd) has the extra-5-feet-per-5-points-you-beat-the-trip-attempt, as do all the other higher-level throw maneuvers. But not Mighty Throw.

Last edited:

Slaved

First Post
This makes me think that each of the throws should do some amount of damage and that they can be reduced by successful Tumble checks if the character being thrown is not willing and by successful Jump and Tumble checks if the character being thrown is willing along with a willing subject being able to add their Jump check result to the throwers check.

That would resemble real life in a way that makes me happy based on my own Martial Arts experience in throwing people! More experience in falling means an easier fall and more experience in being thrown means that you can put the proper energy into the throw to maximize the distance and final orientation.

Patlin

Explorer
sukael said:
Incidentally, Devastating Throw (swordsage 3rd) has the extra-5-feet-per-5-points-you-beat-the-trip-attempt, as do all the other higher-level throw maneuvers. But not Mighty Throw.

Ah, I hadn't picked up on that difference!

sukael

First Post
Slaved said:
This makes me think that each of the throws should do some amount of damage and that they can be reduced by successful Tumble checks if the character being thrown is not willing and by successful Jump and Tumble checks if the character being thrown is willing along with a willing subject being able to add their Jump check result to the throwers check.

That would resemble real life in a way that makes me happy based on my own Martial Arts experience in throwing people! More experience in falling means an easier fall and more experience in being thrown means that you can put the proper energy into the throw to maximize the distance and final orientation.

It would add some complexity, but something like that would probably add a good chunk of verisimilitude, too.

I'd say, have the thrown characters take falling damage for 10 feet (1d6), with the normal DC 15 Tumble check to ignore that initial d6.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Since it does not specify what direction you have to throw someone (or any limit to as what direction you can throw someone)... With Mighty Throw, as well as the higher level throws you can pick up later, you can toss them straight up and they will take falling damage. So Mighty Throw *can* deal damage since you throw them 10 feet (up) and they fall 10 feet back down (which deals 1d6/10 feet fallen).

Just a thought.

Slaved

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Since it does not specify what direction you have to throw someone (or any limit to as what direction you can throw someone)... With Mighty Throw, as well as the higher level throws you can pick up later, you can toss them straight up and they will take falling damage. So Mighty Throw *can* deal damage since you throw them 10 feet (up) and they fall 10 feet back down (which deals 1d6/10 feet fallen).

Just a thought.

You would then have to worry about whether or not falling through an enemies Threatened Area provokes Attacks of Opportunity or not! :D

Remove ads