D&D 5E TIAMAT! It's that gargantuan mini we've all been waiting to see!

NewJeffCT

First Post
Darn.

I was hoping for Colossal size, not gargantuan.

Also, with WizKids poor track record with these things, I sadly expect that those bases will separate from the dragons painfully often. (I have several Pathfinder minis like that where they've arrived in a broken condition.) I wish they would have been attached directly to the base.

Buyer beware.

Edit - actually, those look like they could be "Huge" size. Hopefully I'm incorrect.

That would be my fear as well. I've had several Pathfinder miniatures that broke off at the base despite me very carefully removing them from the packaging. And, it's not me being clumsy, as I probably have a few thousand miniatures - many of them Warhammer or Confrontation plastics - and, with the exception of a few lances, none ever broke upon removal from the package.

gweinel

Explorer
Am I the only one that Tiamat seems to me ...cheap? I have all the other big dragons and this sculp and color combination doesn't fit to my tastes very well. Bahamut on the other hand is more beautiful dragon, although as many have noted it doesn't seem like a platinum dragon... :p

Dausuul

Legend
Am I the only one that Tiamat seems to me ...cheap? I have all the other big dragons and this sculp and color combination doesn't fit to my tastes very well. Bahamut on the other hand is more beautiful dragon, although as many have noted it doesn't seem like a platinum dragon... :p
The problem is that, like a lot of portrayals of Tiamat in D&D, it's just a red dragon's body with the heads of the five chromatic dragon types jammed on its shoulders. IMO, it would look a lot better with some effort to integrate them all. Just a better paint job (so the non-red heads don't look so out of place) would go a long way.

Hmm... maybe it's time to dust off my miniature painting skills.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
So, is that dragon on the art behind the giant supposed to be the promo figure? I guess I'll find out in a few weeks when my case arrives, but I'm curious what that promo is supposed to be.

The Brass Dragon is the incentive piece. The mini is sitting on top of the box.

wizkids21.jpg

Warren LaFrance

First Post
Yum! Unfortunately, the nephew is into Minecraft... :)
My kids are into Minecraft big time also, but I took them to my local game shop and dropped them off with everything they needed to get into the D&D Encounters. I even printed out a basic combat flow chart, provided dice in the colors they wanted and pre-generated characters for them to have ready to play with
so they could get into any game with no issue.

They had a blast and after one season of playing, we managed to get two of their friends to join them at the store.

With the new edition we are starting our own game up at the game shop and we will have five kids ages 14 to 16... It should be a blast.

I'm sorta unimpressed. Size-wise how are these gonna compare to my old D&D Miniatures Icons: Gargantuan Black, Gargantuan Blue, Colossal Red, and Gargantuan White? These dragon-gods look smaller.

This is part of WOTC's REAL secret plan........to return the world of minis back to TRUE 25mm scale as Gygax intended. :D

1st I am a miniatures snob - not the intended market. That caveat out of the way - I'm not impressed. They should have given the license for these to McFarlane. The poses are OK, but the paint jobs are bad for the price.

The problem is that, like a lot of portrayals of Tiamat in D&D, it's just a red dragon's body with the heads of the five chromatic dragon types jammed on its shoulders. IMO, it would look a lot better with some effort to integrate them all. Just a better paint job (so the non-red heads don't look so out of place) would go a long way.

Hmm... maybe it's time to dust off my miniature painting skills.

I would be more inclined to buy these at that price if they came unpainted. How difficult would it be for them to offer unpainted versions at the same price? Less production cost, more profit. It's WIN WIN.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
This alone has convinced me to try to run Tyranny of Dragons.
I think you'll really like Tyranny of Dragons. My playtest group does. Plenty of excellent stuff in there.

I feel the same way. Most of those dragons look really bland and cheap, and only Bahamut looks like any sort of impressive. And I actually thought it was a blue dragon until I came to read the comments...

Remove ads