D&D 5E "Tiefling" as a feat?

Buck_

Explorer
How would you do the tiefling 'race' as a feat? I mean, instead of choosing a tiefling character, you go for any other race you want and then add the tiefling/ infernal blood/ devil heritage feat. So you can be a halfling, elf or maybe a goliath with demon blood if you want to.

I was thinking maybe a half-feat with fire resistance, or a full feat with fire resistance and tiefling spellcasting perhaps?

Buck_

Explorer
I might make it a subrace "package" instead of a feat, personally...

Yeah, I thought about that. But I have 15+ races in my homebrew and no subraces so it would be a lot of work. A feat would make it easier in the end, even if I have to let non-humans get the 4th level feat earlier...

Hmm... Not sure I would handle it as a feat.
How would you handle a lycanthrope or a vampire or an angel?

I would approach it like some sort of racial half template. Maybe it would modify abilities, and would probably add both benefits and detractors.

But whatever, I don't think it would be something a player could chose after initial character creation.

It is possible to trade the +1 for a half feat, or the +2 for a full feat.

Lycanthrope is mostly a half feat to gain an alternate beast form, plus a midway form between beast and humanoid.

Vampire is a full class, so many powerful abilities to develop.

Tiefling, it depends what about it one cares about. Is it the horns? Is it the fire? If it is just being infernal, that can be a Background without special abilities.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
A little discordant to suddenly discover at, say, level 12 that you're part Tiefling.

Why? It would fit in to a number of established story tropes that have a seemingly normal people discover that they are Spawn of Hell and have a number of supernatural powers with which they will bring about the Apocalypse.

Its probably just a variant human though

The Heritage feats where in 3.5/NWN 2, but they used a tree structure which would be against 5e design paradigms.

Using that as a model Fiendish Heritage would look like this.

Fiendish:
Heritage) Poison Resistance, advantage on poison saves.
Power) +1 Save DCs for your evocation spells.
Presence) Can cast Cause Fear once per long rest, using Charisma as your spellcasting ability.
Resistance) Resistance to Fire and Acid.

Remove ads