• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tieflings

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I've always liked the concept of tieflings, but something has always bugged me. I've just realized that its the actual name that I don't like. Tiefling. Blah. Nothing in the name demonstrates a demonic background. It sounds like a guy who lives in a tree and makes cookies.

I think I could get behind the race a bit more if they were called something like Demonkin or Devilborn. Something, anything a bit more ominous.

Saitou

First Post
Seeing as how Tiefling is derived from Tyrfing, the cursed sword, I find the name fitting.

Diff'rent strokes and all that.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Saitou said:
Seeing as how Tiefling is derived from Tyrfing, the cursed sword, I find the name fitting.

Diff'rent strokes and all that.

I'm not sure where you got that information. Wikipedia says this:

The name "tiefling" was coined by Wolfgang Baur, when original Planescape designer David "Zeb" Cook asked for a Germanic-sounding word for humans with fiendish blood. Baur derived the name from teufel, or "Devil" in German. The direct translation of tiefling, however, would be "deepling," since tief means "deep." A closer derivation from teufel would be teufling

Still, Wikipedia has certainly been wrong before.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Devilborn huh? We already have dragonborn, I suppose elves could be forestborn, dwarves rockborn, eladrin feyborn, halflings shortborn and humans would just be born. We could play dungeonborn and dragonborn!

I guess I prefer tiefling.

Last edited:

Saitou

First Post
Ebon Shar said:
I'm not sure where you got that information. Wikipedia says this:

The name "tiefling" was coined by Wolfgang Baur, when original Planescape designer David "Zeb" Cook asked for a Germanic-sounding word for humans with fiendish blood. Baur derived the name from teufel, or "Devil" in German. The direct translation of tiefling, however, would be "deepling," since tief means "deep." A closer derivation from teufel would be teufling

Still, Wikipedia has certainly been wrong before.
First I've heard of it.
I prefer my version, honestly :(

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

DandD

First Post
For me, it's quite near to the german word 'Teufel', as a minimisation becoming 'Teufeling', and then made english, therefore the name 'Tiefling'.

Of course, the race still looks totally silly, with their giant cow-horns and that impractical tail, but oh well, you can't have everything, I guess...

Flynn

First Post
For that Old School feel, use "Cambion" instead.

Personally, I suggest "Hellspawn" as a good alternate.

With Regards,
Flynn

Ebon Shar

Explorer
jaelis said:
Devilborn huh? We already have dragonborn, I suppose elves could be forestborn, dwarves rockborn, eladrin feyborn, halflings shortborn and humans would just be born. We could play dungeonborn and dragonborn!

I guess I prefer tiefling.

Sorry, I reacted improperly to an unnecessarily caustic post. It wont happen again.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Flynn said:
For that Old School feel, use "Cambion" instead.

Personally, I suggest "Hellspawn" as a good alternate.
Both fine choices and utterly superior.

I guess it's the "-ling" at the end that annoys me. And the "Tief-" part.

Remove ads