• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time and distance at constant C: A sieries of questions for Umbran or other physicists.

MarkB

Legend
It can get really messy if you try and put it to the gaming world.

Especially if not everyone is on the same page. I've played some Traveller games at cons, and several players (including, in one notable case, the GM) had trouble just grasping basic orbital dynamics. I dread to think what it would've been like if relativity had been a major plot point.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Two places where relativistic effects matter, but that can be absorbed in tables, is effects on projectile energies (say, what damage would be done by a 1KG projectile which is at 0.99 C), and on reaction times. Assuming near instantaneous acceleration and deceleration, an incoming ship might be just behind its wavefront, meaning, there is less time to react to the arrival of the ship than if the ship approached at a lower speed.

Also, energy costs and time taken to accelerate increases would become more and more severe and would have to be taken into account. Getting from the earth to mars at 0.99 C would cost a lot more than at 0.5 C. You could make cost tables that factored in the relativistic effects and ignore time dilation effects.

Thx!

TomB

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Especially if not everyone is on the same page. I've played some Traveller games at cons, and several players (including, in one notable case, the GM) had trouble just grasping basic orbital dynamics. I dread to think what it would've been like if relativity had been a major plot point.

***gets 'messy head'***​

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads