D&D 5E Time for Non Forgotten Realms Adventure Paths?

Hello All!
With Icewind Dale on the horizon, I for one, am ready for an end to the Adventure Path/Gazetteer focus solely resting on the Forgotten Realms.
I am a monogamist in regards to relationships, but polyamorous in regards to D&D settings....how about an adventure set in Eberron, or a brand new setting, or even a setting neutral option?

I have great fondness for the Forgotten Realms. The 1987 Grey Box release is one of my favorite pieces of D&D goodness ever.
It made a huge impact on the game....indeed Ed Greenwood could arguably had more impact on modern D&D via the Forgotten Realms, then Gary G.

That said, to paraphrase The Clash:
" I'm so bored of the Forgotten Realms"

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'd like to see Dragonlance come back. Dark Sun would be a welcome change of flavor as well. Or were you thinking of an adventure with no campaign setting, or an implied one like 4e's Points of Light?

Curse of Strahd is the only gazetteer/big plot adventure. The rest are modernized reprints of old adventures. That is not knocking them, stand alone adventures means stand alone moments, that can be remembered. More of those please.

That is my largest issue with the 5e FR gazetteer/ adventure...the guide book gets in the way of crafting memorable moments. Instead of set piece Act ends, we get general advice.

jgsugden

Legend
Being bored of the Forgotten Realms is like being bored of food. There are always different varieties and options for you within the setting. You can run drastically different games in the setting.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with an adventure path set up in Exandria, Kyrnn, Oerth, Athas, Eberron or someplace else. You just need the support for the setting to give the adventure context. I'm currentlywriting an adventure path that involves extraplanar travel that will take the PCs across planes to discover the hidden location of the pieces of the Rod of 7 Parts.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Being bored of the Forgotten Realms is like being bored of food. There are always different varieties and options for you within the setting. You can run drastically different games in the setting.

It's being bored of X-American food. There's plenty of variation, Italian-American food, or Chinese-American food, or Tex-Mex, plus a bunch of somewhat uniquely American type dishes. But that doesn't mean that there isn't different and exotic tastes out there you'd like to experience.

(Disclaimer: I'm from the US. We have lots of "international" food types that have really been Americanized to fit our tastes.)

I'm sick of the Sword Coast. I get that WOTC want to leverage the SCAG book as well as interact with well-known places and characters, and I do like the Sword Coast, but I've been there for decades (all the Intinity Engine computer games, including Siege of Dragonspear, two Icewind Dale Games, lots of Neverwinter Nights games and PWs).

I want to go somewhere else in the Realms.

For example, The Great Glacier: Rime of the Frostmaiden, set in the north of Vaasa, or Icerim Mountains: Rime of the Frostmaiden, set far to the north of Thay.

I have a couple of FR maps hung on the wall of my dining room, where I run a POTA game. Joe, one of my players saw it and asked where the current game was. Another player said "We are here, in this tiny bit in the corner." Joe answered, "Wow, so when to we get to explore the rest of the map?"

To give a comparison, the Forgotten Realms is bigger than the continental USA. 9 of the 11 hardcover APs have been set in Washington (four of those in Seattle).

Last edited:

To give a comparison, the Forgotten Realms is bigger than the continental USA. 9 of the 11 hardcover APs have been set in Washington (four of those in Seattle).

In general (and with the obligatory nod to the fact that ToA was in Chult) I'll give a big 'Hell Yeah!' on that.

Give us something in the Old Empires, or in Rashemen/Thay/Aglarond, or Amn/Tethyr/Calimshan, or the Shaar and Var the Golden. Give us Lantan or Nimbral or Halruaa. Or even in Cormyr or around Cormanthor/Thar/Anauroch, which aren't all that far away from the Sword Coast, geographically or thematically. Just leave poor Triboar alone for a while, there's about two dozen buildings in the place but two separate hardback adventures have made a mess of it already. The FR is huge - USE some of it.

(the whole Tiamat plotline should have happened in Chessenta anyway)

edit: i should mention, I'm playing in an SKT campaign and am remaining resolutely unspoiled, so if this campaign actually goes to any of those places, please don't correct me here!

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I should mention, I'm playing in an SKT campaign and am remaining resolutely unspoiled, so if this campaign actually goes to any of those places, please don't correct me here!
You're stuck in / around / near Washington State, unless your DM decides to introduce the optional "Goodyear Blimp" (which is provided to make trip times across The North shorter, really) and decides to put some important McGuffin a ways further out.

Oh you do get to take an ocean cruise (like the visit to Arauthator's lair in Tiamat) as part of SKT, to provide scenic variety.

Remove ads