D&D 5E Time for Non Forgotten Realms Adventure Paths?

TheSword

Legend
Descent into Avernus is only circumstantially set in the sword Coast and could set in any city.

Dragonheist could be set in any city with minimum fuss.

SKT is set no where near the coast but if you want to include everything west of Anauroch then I guess you might consider it so. It could easily be set in any sparely populated frontier land.

Curse of Strahd
Yawning Portal
Salt Marsh - already discussed

Out of the Abyss is the underdark - as different from the sword Coast setting as you can get.

Tomb of Annihilation - Chult or any tropical jungle setting.

Even the Tiamat books could be set anywhere with the locations only barely connected to the sword Coast. It would be a minimum of effort to change some names.

Even the Tiamat books could be set anywhere with the locations only barely connected to the sword Coast. It would be a minimum of effort to change some names.

People see what they want to see.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Id settle for a short 32 pg generic adventure.

I just had a random thought and I may be totally wrong because I never really thought about it to check whose actually writing the adventures these days. I wonder if theyre setting most things on the Sword Coast to keep the amount of lore the staff has to manage to a minimum? How many people from the old TSR/WotC staff who wrote most of the old FR modules/supplements and novels are still employed there? Then again the current year is 1490 DR right so maybe it doesnt even matter anymore?

Id settle for a short 32 pg generic adventure.

I just had a random thought and I may be totally wrong because I never really thought about it to check whose actually writing the adventures these days. I wonder if theyre setting most things on the Sword Coast to keep the amount of lore the staff has to manage to a minimum? How many people from the old TSR/WotC staff who wrote most of the old FR modules/supplements and novels are still employed there? Then again the current year is 1490 DR right so maybe it doesnt even matter anymore?

The great majority of Faerun has had at best a couple of paragraphs of lore update in the past hundred years of Realms time, which included the Second Sundering which turned the whole world inside out (again). A huge amount of the old lore simply doesn't apply any more. Ironically, the Sword Coast has the MOST density of lore to keep straight as it's been focused on so heavily in both the video games and the recent modules (possible exception: Myth Drannor)

If there's ever been a safe time to write in a non-Sword-Coast region of the realms without having to have an army of lore fact-checkers at your elbow, it's now.

R_J_K75

Legend
The great majority of Faerun has had at best a couple of paragraphs of lore update in the past hundred years of Realms time, which included the Second Sundering which turned the whole world inside out (again). A huge amount of the old lore simply doesn't apply any more. Ironically, the Sword Coast has the MOST density of lore to keep straight as it's been focused on so heavily in both the video games and the recent modules (possible exception: Myth Drannor)

If there's ever been a safe time to write in a non-Sword-Coast region of the realms without having to have an army of lore fact-checkers at your elbow, it's now.

I havent kept up on the lore much after 3E. Shows you how much I know. So Sunderings 1 & 2 = WotC managing their salary cap?

I havent kept up on the lore much after 3E. Shows you how much I know. So Sunderings 1 & 2 = WotC managing their salary cap?

Hah! Sundering 1 was 'Let's 4e-ify the Realms and clear out all the overpowering NPCs by advancing the timeline a hundred years, killing off most of the gods, and arbitrarily trashing 2/3 of the continent (except the Sword Coast) with random magical disasters, everyone will love it!'

Sundering 2 was 'Oops, everyone hated it, let's try to put back to how it was before...'

R_J_K75

Legend
Hah! Sundering 1 was 'Let's 4e-ify the Realms and clear out all the overpowering NPCs by advancing the timeline a hundred years, killing off most of the gods, and arbitrarily trashing 2/3 of the continent (except the Sword Coast) with random magical disasters, everyone will love it!'

Sundering 2 was 'Oops, everyone hated it, let's try to put back to how it was before...'

Yeah I briefly read very little of the 4E setting and put it on the shelf. It was ridiculous. I just kept the timeline of my campaign around 1372 DR. Sounds like killing off all the powerful NPCs was WotC taking a page out of Eberrons playbook.

FR never was my favorite line. I miss others. I'm sure Ravenloft will come back throught the front door, because it's a multimedia franchise easier to sell to young adult market. It allows different styles from kid-friendly (a sadic darklord suffers the curse when it tries to hurt an innocent victim this only is teletransported to other place, and he can ejoy no gore scene) or darker tones.

Dragonlance will not be in this phase, but it is a potential cash-cow. The franchise in hands by Disney could produce a CGI serie to becomes a true smashing-hit, but the scriptters could ask some retcons, and I doubt Paramount wanted it while this had got the exclusive rights.

Hasbro can allow itself higher risks to media adaptation of lesser famous lines, for example Jakandor, or Mystara (+ Hollow World + Red Steel/Savage Coast).

Spelljammer is on the way, and even we could discover other creatures from Hasbroverse as "guest artists", for example the dire wraiths, the archenemies of Rom the spaceknight. If there is a reboot of "Beast Wars" I could bet we will see a d20 version of maximal and predacons as PC races, at least as April's Fool.

After the videogame Baldruc's Gate the next title coud be Dark Sun. Sometimes I try to imagine a Jakandor-Dark Sun crossover.

Birthright is perfect for an action-life production for fandom who miss "Game of Thrones", but here the key is a really good story, and this is a true challenge for the scripters.

In the past I suggested several times the idea of recovering the concept of time spheres from AD&D chronomancer, parallel worlds where the players are totally free to alter the canon metaplot (for example Dragonlance where Raistlin's daughter tries to avoid her father to cause the apocalypse when he becomes a deity).

Hasbro and Paramount has got a five-years deal. Maybe later Hasbro could allows licencing distributed with different companies, for example FR for Paramount, other with Disney, and a third with a videogame developer.

R_J_K75

Legend
Spelljammer is on the way, and even we could discover other creatures from Hasbroverse as "guest artists", for example the dire wraiths, the archenemies of Rom the spaceknight. If there is a reboot of "Beast Wars" I could bet we will see a d20 version of maximal and predacons as PC races, at least as April's Fool.

This would be an awesome Spelljammer Crossover.

Attachments

• s532803941102529920_p40_i7_w640.jpeg
    s532803941102529920_p40_i7_w640.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 93

Remove ads