• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TIMELINE

tensen

First Post
Timeline

I was very hestiant about trying out that system based on their online support. It seemed to be the point of the package, but I'm not really into those massive online roleplaying things like Everquest. I was glad I didn't attempt to try out their d20 product.

Does the product at least follow the d20 license?

crunchy_d20_bits, I missed your original post. If you have any complaints about Timeline let us know.

Timeline really isn't an "Everquest". It's more like Civilization or Age of Empires. Right now the online area doesn't support all of the functionality that's in the rulebook, but then again online area is more of a "bonus" to buying the PDF game. It still gives you an idea of how to play the P&P game and also gives you a method of creating a character sheet.

The only complaint we've received so far is from Jason Parent, author of a competing product (Librum Equitis). We understand his concern for the reputation of the online d20 business and we're trying our best to satisfy him. We really like the work he did and we're honored that he criticizes us at all.

We're releasing something new to our existing customers every week and we're updating our online area constantly. We have had a few problems with our web hosting service but we're moving on to another host. I'm proud of the state of Vacuum Elemental Games and its current direction.

As far as Timeline's attempt to adhere to d20 standards, here's a bit about the game:

Timeline is a d20 fantasy civilization combat game. In a nutshell players take the role of nations instead of characters. The game tries to follow the d20 model as much as possible. Race is replaced with Denizen points affecting abilities. Classes are replaced with governments, skills with technologies and feats with wonders. Instead of a WP/VP system, we use PP/MP (Population Points/Military Points). Land and resource control is also a major factor in the game. Experience is obtained through a research skill and vicarious doling from other civilizations. Government levels are categorized into various "Timeline Eras" (TE), similar to the Progress Levels in Alternity. "Weapons" and "Armor" are created from military units (obtained through resources & TE requirements).

If anyone purchased Timeline and does not understand the rulebook, they are welcome to send us an email or come to our forum and we'll be happy to provide answers and update our sourcebook.

Kris
Vacuum Elemental Games
http://www.vacuumelemental.com
http://www.d20timeline.com

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Gotta say, version 1.4 is a drastic improvement over previous versions. I wouldn't yet recommend it to anyone as it still feels half-complete, but at the current rate of improvement, it's going to be "complete" soon.

BTW, I don't see myself as a "competitor" but instead as another publisher. The D20 companies are in this boat together, no point in treating each other as anything but friends.

I'm sorry I got as loud as I did about the product in question, but I feel all my comments aimed at version 1.0 of TIMELINE were 100% legit. I'm just really glad to see it improving.

Last edited:

Remove ads