D&D 5E Tired of doing WotC's job

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
This isn't a terrible complaint. WoTC (or at least the DM's Guild) could make some serious money off little nitpick things like this. A massive item list with sane prices for 5E, more detailed curse/affliction/detect magic style rules.

Add to that, more detailed tactical options. All of these things were left out to make the game far easier to play, and understand, and that's fantastic - it's 5E's biggest standpoint. But adding OPTIONAL content source material for people who want more out of the core system, is never a terrible idea.

Northern Phoenix

Adventurer
This isn't a terrible complaint. WoTC (or at least the DM's Guild) could make some serious money off little nitpick things like this. A massive item list with sane prices for 5E, more detailed curse/affliction/detect magic style rules.

Add to that, more detailed tactical options. All of these things were left out to make the game far easier to play, and understand, and that's fantastic - it's 5E's biggest standpoint. But adding OPTIONAL content source material for people who want more out of the core system, is never a terrible idea.

I'm pretty sure the DM's Guild has a number of options like this, some of them being best sellers.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I'm pretty sure the DM's Guild has a number of options like this, some of them being best sellers.

There's a few of them, most of them are more about adding character options (the Talent options, for example). I'm talking more about adding rules for different ways to approach tactical combat in this particular thread. Then again, I've not been to the DM's guild in many months, so I suppose you could be right about them having delved into those options as well. At my table, we gutted and overhauled 5E so much it is barely recognizable anymore, so we don't quite pay much attention to DM's guild often. Much like the OP, we grew quite tired of a "barebones" system and went all out in its redesign.

We tend to do this. We're crunch-monkies around here.

Oofta

Legend
There's a few of them, most of them are more about adding character options (the Talent options, for example). I'm talking more about adding rules for different ways to approach tactical combat in this particular thread. Then again, I've not been to the DM's guild in many months, so I suppose you could be right about them having delved into those options as well. At my table, we gutted and overhauled 5E so much it is barely recognizable anymore, so we don't quite pay much attention to DM's guild often. Much like the OP, we grew quite tired of a "barebones" system and went all out in its redesign.

We tend to do this. We're crunch-monkies around here.

Why play 5E if you have to rewrite it? There are plenty of other systems out there. Iron Kingdoms, Shadow of The Demon Lord, or even just older editions or Pathfinder.

While 5E works for me since I prefer more of a rules light, if I needed more than a few twists here and there along with a couple of minor rules tweaks I'd probably go shopping.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Why play 5E if you have to rewrite it? There are plenty of other systems out there. Iron Kingdoms, Shadow of The Demon Lord, or even just older editions or Pathfinder.

While 5E works for me since I prefer more of a rules light, if I needed more than a few twists here and there along with a couple of minor rules tweaks I'd probably go shopping.

The core mechanic works well, and the rules light allows it to be very modular based on the setting we're playing in at any given point in time. We rewrite any given section to suit our needs of the moment.

Example; Science Fiction setting, we use Skill Point distribution to a wider list of skills (using proficiency doubled representing expertise) as a cap. It simply works better to illustrate the characters we create in our science fiction setting.

The core mechanic, and the underlying freedom it provides, aren't broken. We create what we want, because we're allowed to, and it is easier than fixing other, more complex systems that are broken in other ways that would take far more time and effort to customize to our ever-changing needs. The beauty of having a group that can meticulously change what we want, when we want, regardless of the intent of the designer, is that we owe nothing to anyone but ourselves - and it is fairly cost efficient to boot.

Remove ads