• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

to-hit for powers - wizard vs fighter

Relbanan

First Post
after rolling up a couple characters, I have a question regarding to-hit bonuses. It looks like the proficiency bonus gives an advantage to weapon users over spellcasters - perhaps I've missed something.

When you set up a character, and you have for example, Weapon Proficiencies of Simple Melee, do you get the bonus from the Prof column if you're using any of the Simple Melee weapons? Or only if you have specific weapon proficiency, ie. Longsword Proficiency?

ie. fighter with a strength of 16, gets +3 mod. +3 for proficiency (maybe you need to have specific weapon proficiency for this?) so +6 to-hit bonus.

wizard with int of 16, gets +3 mod, is there a feat or something else I've missed that would give you additional modifiers to your to-hit for a given spell?

Sorry if I'm a little hazy with my question, first time I've played D&D in 20 years, jumping from vaguely remembered 2e to 4e :)

Kordeth

First Post
Fighters and weapon-users have an edge in to-hit bonuses because most of their attacks target AC. Wizards generally hit the other defenses, which tend to be lower.

Relbanan

First Post
Ok, that makes sense. What about the proficiency question? I understand that you have to take a specific Weapon Proficiency in order to use Superior weapons, but do you get the Proficiency bonus for any weapon in the group (Simple Melee) if you get the category as proficient in the character class?

DreamChaser

Explorer
Relbanan said:
Ok, that makes sense. What about the proficiency question? I understand that you have to take a specific Weapon Proficiency in order to use Superior weapons, but do you get the Proficiency bonus for any weapon in the group (Simple Melee) if you get the category as proficient in the character class?

If you are proficient with simple melee weapons, you are proficient with each and every simple melee weapon. The category is a short hand to avoid having a list of weapons for each character class when a grouping works better. When using a weapon with which you are proficient, you gain the listed bonus. Thus, a cleric gains the bonus when using a mace because she is proficient with simple weapons and a mace is a simple weapon.

DC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads