D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

Im guessing your aren't a big fan of psionics because a sorcerer is not the same as a psionicist.
A sorcerer is someone who gets their powers from unusual sources. A psionicist is someone who gets their power from an unusual source. And I'd call out a specific difference between psionics fans and D&D Psionics fans. I've liked Psionics, but long spell lists have always struck me as anti-psionics (possibly because I played GURPS before D&D). And 1e psionics were IMO a mistake.
You don't even have to pick that subclass to replicate that list of "psionlike things" except the ignore component part . Every sorcerer can have spelllpoints and use the spells-that-once-were-psionic-powers.
The sorcerer is not a spellpoint class; you can't treat the whole thing as a spell point pool because conversion from spell slots to arcana points is lossy if you're not an arcanist. Also Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Sending, and Rary's Telepathic Bond are all on the bard list but not the sorcerer list, but are very much psionic spells. They are on the aberrant mind list of course.
Not going to argue that old chestnut, but it's rare to find a fan of psionics who thinks 5e has psionics in it.
It's rare to find someone complaining about the lack of historical D&D psionics who thinks 5e has psionics in it. To me, other than the terribly made Soulknife e.g. 3.5 didn't have psionics; it had wizards with the serial numbers filed off. But when I've asked why the Aberrant Mind isn't a psion I've only been told "It's not its own class" and "It has tentacles sometimes".

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
A sorcerer is someone who gets their powers from unusual sources. A psionicist is someone who gets their power from an unusual source. And I'd call out a specific difference between psionics fans and D&D Psionics fans. I've liked Psionics, but long spell lists have always struck me as anti-psionics (possibly because I played GURPS before D&D). And 1e psionics were IMO a mistake.

The sorcerer is not a spellpoint class; you can't treat the whole thing as a spell point pool because conversion from spell slots to arcana points is lossy if you're not an arcanist. Also Dissonant Whispers, Calm Emotions, Sending, and Rary's Telepathic Bond are all on the bard list but not the sorcerer list, but are very much psionic spells. They are on the aberrant mind list of course.

It's rare to find someone complaining about the lack of historical D&D psionics who thinks 5e has psionics in it. To me, other than the terribly made Soulknife e.g. 3.5 didn't have psionics; it had wizards with the serial numbers filed off. But when I've asked why the Aberrant Mind isn't a psion I've only been told "It's not its own class" and "It has tentacles sometimes".
If the psionics you like isn't just a different list of spells then how exactly does the 5e psionics (which is very literally a list of spells that existing arcane casters can take) in any way an improvement over 1/2/3/4e? At the very least, in those older systems psionics had effects not accessible by other characters.

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
I have bought more D&D books for 5e than any edition (I started back with 1e & BECMI). I've really enjoyed it and I just picked up MOoT. However, I think I am about done. There is already way more content than my group can get through and I just don't know that I want anything more. To clarify, I am not burned out or anything like that. We still have stories to tell and will keep playing 5e for many, many moons. However, I just don't see my buying much more 5e stuff. I have more content than I need. Is anyone else in the same boat?

EDIT: Someone asked for some hard data, so here are some of the player options available. Please note I made this list in novemeber of last year. So it doesn't include Wildemount or Theros. I don't believe it includes anything from AI either. If I get a chance I will update it.

PC Classes
Artificer (Eberron)
  • Alchemist
  • Armorer (TCoE)
  • Artillerist
  • Battle Smith
Barbarian
  • Path of the Beast (TCoE)
  • Path of the Berserker (PHB)
  • Path of the Totem Warrior(PHB)
  • Path of the Battlerager (SCAG)
  • Path of the Ancestral Guardian (XGtE)
  • Path of the Storm Herald (XGtE)
  • Path of Wild Magic (TCoE)
  • Path of the Zealot (XGtE)
Bard
  • College of Creation (TCoE)
  • College of Lore (PHB)
  • College of Valor (PHB)
  • College of Glamor (XGtE)
  • College of Swords (XGtE)
  • College of Whispers (XGtE)
  • College of Eloquence (XGtE)
Cleric
  • Ambition (Plane Shift - Amonkhet)
  • Arcana (SCAG)
  • Death (DMG)
  • Forge (XGtE)
  • Grave (XGtE)
  • Knowledge (PHB)
  • Life (PHB)
  • Light (PHB)
  • Nature (PHB)
  • Order (TCoE)
  • Peace (TCoE)
  • Solidarity (Plane Shift - Amonkhet)
  • Strength (Plane Shift - Amonkhet)
  • Tempest (PHB)
  • Trickery (PHB)
  • Twilight (TCoE)
  • War (PHB)
  • Zeal (Plane Shift - Amonkhet)
Druid
  • Circle of the Land (PHB)
  • Circle of the Moon (PHB)
  • Circle of Spores (UA)
  • Circle of Dreams (XGtE)
  • Circle of the Shepherd (XGtE)
  • Circle of Stars (TCoE)
  • Circle of Wildfire (TCoE)
Fighter
  • Champion (PHB)
  • Battle Master (PHB)
  • Brute (UA)
  • Echo Knight (EGtW)
  • Eldritch Knight (PHB)
  • Purple Dragon Knight (SCAG)
  • Arcane Archer (XGtE)
  • Cavalier (XGtE)
  • Samurai (XGtE)
  • Psi Warrior (TCoE)
  • Rune Knight (TCoE)
Monk
  • Way of the Astral Self (TCoE)
  • Way of the Open Hand (PHB)
  • Way of the Shadow (PHB)
  • Way of the Four Elements (PHB)
  • Way of the Long Death (SCAG)
  • Way of Mercy (TCoE)
  • Way of the Sun Soul (XGtE)
  • Way of the Drunken Master (XGtE)
  • Way of the Kensei (XGtE)
Mystic (UA)
  • Order of the Avatar
  • Order of the Awakened
  • Order of the Immortal
  • Order of the Nomad
  • Order of the Soul knife
  • Order of the Wu Jen
Paladin
  • Oath of Devotion (PHB)
  • Oath of Heroism (UA)
  • Oath of the Ancients (PHB)
  • Oath of the Crown (SCAG)
  • Oath of Vengeance (PHB)
  • Oath of Conquest (XGtE)
  • Oath of Redemption (XGtE)
  • Oath of Glory (Theros)
  • Oath of the Watchers (TCoE)
Ranger
  • Hunter (PHB)
  • Beast Master (PHB)
  • Fey Wanderer (TCoE)
  • Gloom Stalker (XGtE)
  • Horizon Walker (XGtE)
  • Monster Slayer (XGtE)
  • Swarm Keeper (TCoE)
Rogue
  • Thief (PHB)
  • Arcane Trickster (PHB)
  • Assassin (PHB)
  • Mastermind (XGtE)
  • Phantom (TCoE)
  • Swashbuckler (XGtE)
  • Inquisitive (XGtE)
  • Scout (XGtE)
  • Soulknife (TCoE)
  • The Revived (UA)

Sorcerer
  • Aberrant Mind (TCoE)
  • Clockwork Soul (TCoE)
  • Draconic Bloodline (PHB)
  • Wild Magic (PHB)
  • Storm Bloodline (XGtE)
  • Divine Soul (XGtE)
  • Pyromancer (Plane Shift - Kaladesh)
  • Shadow Magic (XGtE)

Warlock
  • Archfey (PHB)
  • Archfiend (PHB)
  • Celestial (XGtE)
  • Fathomless (TCoE)
  • Genie (TCoE)
  • Great Old One (PHB)
  • Hexblade (XGtE)
  • Pact of the Chain
  • Pact of the Blade
  • Pact of the Tome
  • Undying (SCAG)

Wizard
  • Abjuration (PHB)
  • Conjuration (PHB)
  • Chronurgy (EGtW)
  • Divination (PHB)
  • Enchantment (PHB)
  • Evocation (PHB)
  • Graviturgy (EGtW)
  • Illusion (PHB)
  • Necromancy (PHB)
  • Transmutation (PHB)
  • Bladesinger (SCAG)
  • War Magic (XGtE)
  • Onomancy (UA)
  • Psion (UA)
  • Scribes (TCoE)

PC Races
Dwarf
  • Hill Dwarf
  • Mountain Dwarf
Duergar
Elf
  • High
  • Wood
  • Drow
Eladrin
  • Winter Eladrin
  • Summer Eladrin
  • Autumn Eadrin
  • Spring Eladrin
Sea Elf
Shadar-Kai
Halfling
  • Light Foot Halfling
  • Stout Halfling
  • Ghostwise Halfling
Human
  • Variant Human
Dragonborn
Gnome
  • Rock
  • Forest
  • Deep
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Tiefling
  • Asmodean
  • Glaysan
  • Fiernan
  • Mephicilian
  • Levistusian
  • Zarielian
  • Beleezbubian
  • Dispaterian
  • Mammonian
Loxodon
Minotaur
Simic Hybrid
Vedalken
Orc
Goliaths
Aarokaa
Genasi
  • Air
  • Earth
  • Fire
  • Water
Tabaxi
Aasimar
  • Protector Aasimar
  • Scourge Aasimar
  • Fallen Aasimar
Firbolg
Kenku
Triton
Hobgoblin
Goblin
Bugbear
Kobolds
Yuan Ti Pureblood
Lizardfolk
Tortles
Githzerai
Githyanki
Tabaxi
Tortle (EGtW)
Satyr
Shifters
Changelings
Kalashtar
Verdan (AI)
Warforged

PC Backgrounds
Acolyte
Agent (Eberron)
Anthropologist
Archaeologist
Azorius Functionary
Boros Legionnaire
Celebrity Adventurer's Scion (AI)
Charlatan
Criminal
Dimir Operative
Entertainer
Excoriate (Eberron)
Faceless
Failed Merchant (AI)
Fisher
Folk Hero
Foundling (Eberron)
Gambler (AI)
Golgari Agent
Gruuul Anarch
Guild Artisan
Haunted One
Hermit
Independent Scion (Eberron)
Izzet Engineer
Marine
Noble
Orzhov Representative
Outlander
Plantiff (AI)
Rakdos Cultist (GGtR)
Rival Intern (AI)
Sage
Sailor
Selesnya Initiate
Shipwright
Simic Scientist
Smuggler
Soldier
Urchin

For me this is very much a positive and I waited for years for 5E to become more like 3e.

If the psionics you like isn't just a different list of spells then how exactly does the 5e psionics (which is very literally a list of spells that existing arcane casters can take) in any way an improvement over 1/2/3/4e? At the very least, in those older systems psionics had effects not accessible by other characters.
The Aberrant Mind isn't the only psionic subclass and there's no spells to be seen for the Soulknife or the Psi Warrior which is a part of what makes them more than just spellpoint wizards. The Aberrant Mind covers just about everything the classical psion does, but my first psionic character was a Great Old One Warlock - with telepathy (not a spell), invocations (not spells), and some spells with telepathy as the warlock spells.

What the aberrant mind is isn't psionics, but an implementation of the D&D specific Psion.

HammerMan

Legend
On thinking about it part of the reason 5e isn't producing gish is that it's going for closer integration for magic or supernatural abilities with fighters. Look, for example, at the Rune Knight, the Psi Warrior, and the Echo Knight. To me we've already got multiple gish and although none are perfect I'd rather see more of what 5e is doing.
I have not seen or played a rune knight but both Psi and Echo are cool for what they do. I still think a dedicated gish is needed not just subclassses I DON'T think that 5e went the right way
I'm of the opinion that an adequate Warlord can be done with a battlemaster chassis, using Direct the Strike for a fighting style - and with a "Spend a superiority dice and your target may spend a hit dice. If they do they recover combined hp, if not they recover a single hp" as a battlemaster maneuver. (And a "Duck" maneuver).
this must be a joke. battlemaster as a warlord is like saying a way of shadow monk is a rogue...

Vaalingrade

Legend
No, just different people wanting different things. Not everyone wants/needs the full 4e implementation of the warlord class.
Or, apparently one near enough to the concept that the light from one would take less then ten million years to reach the other as the Battlemaster is absolutely nothing like the Warlord. It's the hollowed out shell of the Next core fighter after the wizard fans in the playtest got done with it.

dave2008

Legend
Or, apparently one near enough to the concept that the light from one would take less then ten million years to reach the other as the Battlemaster is absolutely nothing like the Warlord. It's the hollowed out shell of the Next core fighter after the wizard fans in the playtest got done with it.
To each their own.

I'm on board with the OP. When I look at what I use (the stuff in the bag I take to game) and the stuff I just "have" sitting on the shelf....the latter is, like, a metric ton of stuff. Back in 2015-2016 I remember lamenting the slow trickle of content, but not anymore; its a firehose on the loose now.

All I really use is: the core three, Mordenkainen's, Tasha's, Xanthar's, Volo's (and two of those will be replaced shortly by the Multiverse book), the new dragon book (love it), the 2 Tome of Beasts, Creature Collection, Tome of Horrors (two books), and...um, I like the AAW Spelunking Guide. Probably Ravenloft should be on the list, too. For modules, I think there are maybe 4-5 that I hypothetically will run one day but then I have 50-60 other books on the shelf that are apparently purely ornamental.

Oddly my 3.5 collection looks more useful these days, though; I didn't think that way back when it was all new, but now with years of time passed, and the 3.5 edition effectively a retired legacy product, I have gotten more utility out of all those splatbooks than I ever thought possible. It started looking manageable....but only once the churn had stopped and I had time in subsequent years to absorb and appreciate what I could do with it all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases