• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To the Noble Born. (finished)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Jack of Tales said:
It looks like your party has but four players and hasn't gotten too deep yet. Is there perchance a place for a fifth? I was thinking of coming from a noble house located alongside a river known for some minor trade in lumber, coal and crystal. If Warshrike doesn't mind I'd like to have the matron of the house a descendant from his house.

Jack - I notice your new to enworld, so welcome to the boards. Have you played in a PbP elsewhere before? It looks like we are posting at least every other day, excluding weekends and I want to make sure you are ready for it.

about the character
House Anuvien I believe is a recent house created after the civil wars. Your family could have married the Aunt of your PC into his house, Otherwise you matron could have been common born before marrying into the family.

What class were you considering? and do the new skill rules make sense to you?

Jack of Tales

First Post
I'm currently in a pbp game on these forums and on another at PBP house (D&D and Iron heroes respectively). I know this isn't too much experience (only two games) but I hope it's sufficient. I've played D&D since first addition, albeit only face to face. I'm glad I can use another of the character's houses! I like making connections between characters in this way. I also have one other question before I finish making my character.

Have you ever seen the Shapeshifter variant druid from UA? I don't know if its stronger or weaker then the normal version but it lets you get a version of wildshape (kinda nerfed but..) you can get it from first and it evolves from there. I thought it looked like a cool idea (Cos I love druids mainly for the shapeshifting) but of course the final say is up to you! It replaces Wild Shape and Animal Companion while letting you 'shift' to any animal you want but the stats are always the same (+4 str, +4 armor, Bite (1d6), and land speed 50'). The advantage is you get this starting at 1st and from what I see there is no limit however you can't speak or cast spells (natural spell does not work) and I for one can name a number of animals that are alot better then that since it's based on your own stats not on just the animals.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
All right Jack, go ahead and make a character. I have been wanting to try the shapeshifter variant. Five was also the original party size. (although I did love the speed of 3 only posters)

You will have to wait for the scene to change before joining in. Likely at the edge of civilization or trailing the group into the wild afterward.

Jack of Tales

First Post
Name: Cait
Class: Shapeshift Druid
Race:Human
Alignment:Neutral Good
Deity:Ehlonna
Stats[sblock]
Height: 5' 5"
Weight:130
Eyes: Green
Hair: Red

Str: 14(18)+2(+4) (06p.) Level: 2 XP: 1,000/ 3,000
Dex: 14 +2 (06p.) BAB: +1 HP: 16 (2d8+4)
Con: 14 +2 (06p.) Grapple: +3 Dmg Red: 0/-
Int: 10 +0 (02p.) Speed: 30'/50' Spell Res: 0
Wis: 15 +2 (08p.) Init: +2
Cha: 08 -1 (00p.) ACP: -

Base Armor Shld Dex Size Nat Misc Total
Armor Class: 10 +4 +0 +2 +0 +1 +0 17
Armor(Shifted) 10 +0 +0 +2 +0 +4 +0 16
Touch: 12 Flatfooted: 10
Armor: AC: Weight: Penalty:
Studded leather+1 +4 20lb -0
Amulet of Natural Armor +1

Base Mod Misc Total
Fort: +3 +2 +0 +0
Ref: +0 +2 +0 +0
Will: +3 +2 +0 +0

Weapon Attack Damage Critical
Sickle +3 1d6+2 x2 Note: Ritual item; used for sacrificing animals
Bite +5 1d6+4 x2
Javelin +3 1d6+2 x2 Range:

Languages:
Druidic
Reintish

Feats:
Empower Spell
Combat Reflexes

Skills: 5 trained skills
Skill: Total: Trained: Mod: Misc:*Level*
Persuasion: +5 yes -1(Cha) +1
Athletics: +8 Yes +2(str) +1
Horsemanship: +7 Yes -1(Cha) +3 (Nature's Sense)
Heal: +8 Yes +2(Wis) +1
Knowledge(Nature):+8 Yes +0(Int) +2 (Nature's Sense)
Wild Empathy +1 --- -1(Cha) +2*Level*

Spells: [Per Day] 0:4; 1:3
Spells Prepared:
0: Cure Minor wounds (2), Mending, Create Water
1: Cure Light wounds, Entangle, Produce Flame

Special Qualities:
Shapeshift(Predator Form): Swift action; +4 Str, +4 Natural armor, Speed: 50', Bite: 1d8
Wild Empathy
Nature Sense
Woodland Stride
[/sblock]
Equipment:[sblock] Cost Weight
studded Leather+1 1,175gp 20lb
Sickle 6gp 2lb
Amulet of Natural Armor 2,000gp -lb
Pearl of Power, 1st 1,000gp
Backpack 4gp 2lb
--Scrollx2 (Bull's Strength) 300gp -
--Scrollx2 (Cat's Grace) 300gp
--Bedroll 1sp 5lb
--Tent 10gp 20lb
--White Candle (x2)
--Small Mirror 10gp
Light Warhorse 150gp
Riding Saddle 10gp 25lb

Total Weight: 22lb Money: 34 gp, 8sp
Horse Weight: 52lb

[/sblock]
Background: [sblock]Cait Vahanil of the noble family Vahanil is a third generation noble. Her mother, Ciara Vahanil, is the third daughter to Aidan and Caitrin Vahanil. Cait is the fifth child of the family (three brothers, one sister) and it was difficult for the already busy parents to pay sufficient attention to all their children. The family’s home within the city of Vahanian (renamed from Brode since the Vahanil’s took over) is located near to the river. The city itself has been a location of trade for lumber, coal and bronze. The family has some renown for their trading capabilities although they are still building a strong company. The city’s close location to several sacred groves has always made it have a tight connection to the priests and priestesses of Obad-Hai and Ehlonna. In an attempt to garner favor from the religious districts Cait was ‘sacrificed’ (as she sees it) to the church. However, upon arriving to the church she was immediately sent away to a nearby druid grove to train there. The church was already overflowing with new noble acolytes due to other families performing similar rites. Cait was dismayed by this at first, she was only fourteen and still loved the luxury that life as a noble had given her. Being sent to a forest enclave where running water was scarce seemed like a death sentence.
Cait’s first year at the grove taught her many things. She was taught in the ways of religion and of the forest and she learned many of the sacred rites of the druids. When she turned fifteen she went on her right of passage where she was sent into the woods with several javelins, a simple tunic and a belt knife for a week. She was to return on the seventh day carrying a female doe back to the grove. Cait barely managed to succeed in this endeavor and a bad encounter with a wild boar cost her dearly. She spent several months recovering from rite only to return to her studies with more determination then ever. When she turned sixteen she met her first Lusgard druid, a member of a small sect of druids who were said to be so connected to nature that they could shift into an animal form at will. Cait was intrigued by the rumors and managed to secure herself an acolyte position with the sect. Four years later she has learned the special arts of the Lusgard sect and become an honor to her family.
Her family learned of the ‘noble’ adventuring party and decided that it would be an excellent way to secure relationships with other noble families. Cait’s aunt, Cecily Vahanil, had been married to a member of the Anuvien family in an effort to create a lasting tie to the powerful trading family. Ciara had heard that a member of that family would be in the party and wished to cement family ties by encouraging Cait to become friends with him, or her. The chance to secure further friendships and perhaps trade with the other families was not left out either. [/sblock]
Appearance: [sblock] Cait typically dresses in white robes with golden hems. She wears the robe’s hood up over her long red hair which she ties into a French braid. Her eyes are a deep green said to be like those of Ehlonna’s chosen. She carries a quiver of javelins upon her back over a backpack carrying her prized possessions. Her mount, Cavalon, is a red-haired mare from the north whom Cait’s family purchased for the journey. Cait is finely muscled from her hard work at the druid grove and is very agile. She stands at only 5’ 5” and is very small for her family. While she is quite beautiful, she can often come off as very shy and not commanding of much presence. She can easily disappear into a corner at many of the major parties that her family has taken her too. When Cait shapeshifts she takes the form of a large leopard with golden fur and silver spots. These are the colors of her house and she likes to represent them at all times.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Jack, nice background. I have a few rule concerns-
the bracers of armor don't stack with physical armor.
sickles don't do d8
the improved natural attack feat has a +4 BAB requirement, it would be fine for 6th level feat.
Im not sure that changing shape is a swift action, but ill check my phb2 when I get home.

With second wind you should be able to go lighter on the healing spells, but thats really up to you.

Jack of Tales

First Post
Wow..that's alot more mistakes then I usually make >< Going back and fixing it now

EDIT: Since bracers of armor add a deflection bonus I'm pretty sure they stack with a normal armor bonus. But you're DM so your rules
EDIT: Checked the rules again. I'm an idiot :X. When I go back to the States I'm going to have to beat my friends for convincing me that bracers of armor stack with regular armor -_- damn evil players

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Bother:

Class skills for a fighters, warriors and commoners
Athletics
Ride
Craft
Now what did I think a human with a +1 or better Int mod was going to do?

knight_isa

First Post
Multiple craft skills, to maintain all of their equipment.

Really, from a game perspective it's only a bother for human fighters who are going the Combat Expertise route, especially with point-buy characters. The other fighters will just use Int as a dump stat, just like they do now IME.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads