• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Today is "Our Birthday"

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Today is September 22, Bilbo and Frodo's Birthday, "Our Birthday" . . !

Each year on this date, I begin rereading The Lord of the Rings.

Does anyone else reread LOTR on a regular basis? Let's share our love of this fantastic story!

shilsen

Adventurer
I used to read it annually (along with the Silmarillion), but haven't done so since 2000. But considering I read it about a dozen times by then, I think I've fulfilled my quota.

Wombat

First Post
I've read LotR five times through, but very far from annually. ;)

The book that I do read annually is Ray Bradbury's The October Country -- but I won't start that for about another week. ;)

I have a friend, the most amazing speed reader I have ever met (both speed and retention are in the OMG! category) who rereads T.H. White's The Once & Future King every Christmas Eve...

replicant2

First Post
I don't re-read it annually, but I've read it 3-4 times, and last year I got the unabridged recordings on CD for a song. So it may be time to "read" LOTR again on my hour commute to and from work.

I've read a good deal of fantasy over the years and LOTR remains my favorite. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire seemed to be rivaling it after a Storm of Swords, but A Feast for Crows was a letdown for me and I fear even that great series may be headed towards bloat territory.

It's funny how LOTR used to be regarded as an overly-long trilogy whose completion was a chore; now by the current standards of fantasy it seems positively short.

Glyfair

Explorer
Gentlegamer said:
Today is September 22, Bilbo and Frodo's Birthday, "Our Birthday" . . !

Each year on this date, I begin rereading The Lord of the Rings.

Does anyone else reread LOTR on a regular basis? Let's share our love of this fantastic story!

My local game store has a regular celebration of Bilbo's Birthday and have since the store opened in 1981. They make a big deal of it with riddle contests, medieval feasts, trivia contests, LotR readings, etc.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I am celebrating by having seven meals today: breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, tea, dinner and supper. This does not include snacks.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I had luncheon today at the Hobbit Cafe in Houston for Our Birthday. I had the Frodo Sandwich (Turkey with Green Chile). Tonight I will open my copy of the Red Book of Westmarch and begin my yearly read of The Lord of the Rings. Cheers!

Aus_Snow

First Post
That is a most excellent er, habit, might I just say. :)

Only 4 or 5 times, me. I think that's accurate. Hm. I'll have to read it again, just to make sure! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads