Token Casting

Croesus

Adventurer
GL and HSB: Thanks for the kind words. I apologize for pulling the post so quickly, but I finally got motivated to finish the rules for integrating Tokens with all the characters, and I’d really like some feedback on these. While my group has playtested the spellcasting changes fairly extensively (at least at lower levels), these other changes have barely been used.

Some quick background: These rules grew out of our frustration with the “x per day” spells and abilities paradigm of the current rules. We found our characters spending a significant amount of time resting, not adventuring. At the same time, we wanted a system that did not make spellcasters overpowered (an effect of many spell point systems), and did not create a lot of extra record keeping. After examining many ideas on these boards, our own version of an “encounter based” system was born.

Our house rules:
Three generic classes and simplified races.
No attacks of opportunity
No extra attacks (every character/creature gets one attack, adding its BAB to damage)
All characters and creatures gain a feat for every level and/or hit die

These house rules are not required to use this system. In fact, the rules I’ve posted to this thread include many elements my group doesn’t use (such as AoO’s).

Action Points (Tokens)
We use the terms action points and tokens interchangeably. Action points in this system refer to points that characters expend to perform certain actions – they are not the same as Hero Points and other such mechanisms. (Though many effects of those mechanisms are included in these rules.)

All character gain tokens based on character level. There is a feat to increase the number of tokens a character has available. Tokens default to recovering at one per full round action. There is a feat chain to decrease the recovery time to a free action.

Characters never have enough tokens. As you’ll see in the chart below, characters start with only four tokens at 1st level and max out at 28 tokens at 20th level. Even using Token Pool feats, a character can only add an average of one token per level (at the cost of ten feats).

Another key concept is the idea of Held tokens. Spending a token to cast magic missile is straightforward. However, if the same sorcerer cast mage armor, the token is Held so long as the spell is active, and Held tokens cannot be recovered. Thus every Held token reduces a character’s token pool. Keep too many buff spells or special abilities active at the same time, and you won’t have enough for other uses.

Characters are limited in the number of tokens which can be spent at any given time. The limit is 1/2 character level, rounded down, minimum one. This in effect matches the current spell progression for sorcerers. (A single level change in when spellcasters gain higher-level spells noticeable reduces the power of spellcasters, which helps keep them from overshadowing the other characters.)

The last limiting factor for tokens is actions. Most tokens are used with an immediate action, or as part of casting a spell (which has its own action cost). So even if a character has tokens available, he usually won’t be able to do everything he wants in the same round. One change we made (based on something I saw in a thread by Hong) is that immediate actions can still be taken when flat-footed. Otherwise, many uses would be negated just when they’re most needed – at the beginning of combat, when the enemy is going first.

Token Use
Tokens have three states: Free, Spent, Held.
Free tokens are available for use.
Spent tokens have been used and can be recovered.
Held tokens have been used, but cannot be recovered, as the effect they powered is still active.

We have found that using Pente stones or colored chips, such as in Axis and Allies, works very well. Free and Spent tokens are white, Held tokens are red. We use two containers, one for Free tokens, one for Spent and Held. When token is recovered, the player just moves a white token from the Spent pool to the Free pool. If a player casts a spell or uses an ability that Holds the token, he swaps white for red before moving it. When the token is no longer Held, the player swaps red for white.

Spellcasting
We use only one spellcasting class (sorcerer), a spontaneous caster that can learn spells from the cleric, druid, and wizard/sorcerer lists. If a spell is on more than one list, the sorcerer can learn it at the lowest spell level available. Characters get a lot of spells, but they also have to cover a lot of bases (blaster, healer, utility, diviner). We don’t find this to be unbalanced, as sorcerers still can only cast so many spells at any given time – it just affords them a lot more flexibility which, frankly, is more fun.

Spells cost a number of tokens equal to their spell level (cantrips are free). Adding metamagic adds to the spell level, so a 1st level sorcerer cannot cast a maximized magic missile spell.

As mentioned above, spells with a duration greater than instantaneous cause the tokens spent to be Held until the spell duration expires, it is dispelled or dismissed. Spells with a permanent duration are considered “problematic” and cause the tokens to Held until the caster rests for eight hours, which can be done only once per day. GM’s are free to designate any spells as problematic, so if you don’t want infinite healing or teleports, just make them “problematic”.

Feats
Most of the feats in the PHB are changed to require token use. Some are removed altogether, to be replaced by a more generic feat (for instance, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, and Lightning Reflexes became Resist, which uses tokens to directly affect a given save).

The intent is to allow characters to use their cool abilities, but not excessively. No more APAATT (All Power Attack All The Time). You can still grapple and trip, but not on every attack (at least, not for long). It also places limits on certain “really good” feats, like Whirlwind Attack, that now requires one token for each opponent attacked.

Some feats were changed to allow better scaling. For instance, the Skill Focus feat requires that tokens be spent when using the skill, but the character gains a +2 bonus for each token. Mid- and high-level characters will find these feats very useful, in specific situations – you might actually find people taking them now.

One strength of this system is that it relatively easy to add feats from other sources. For instance, we use the Divine feats from Complete Warrior. We just substitute tokens for turn attempts and use the feats as is. Similarly, many of the Draconic feats in Complete Arcane can be used in the same way.

Class Abilities
As we only use Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer classes, most class abilities (other than spellcasting) are not affected by tokens. The one exception is Sneak Attack, which requires a token to use in any given round. (I’m still not certain this is a good idea – rogues have enough problems using sneak attack effectively.) A rogue can spend more tokens to allow his sneak attack damage to affect creatures that are normally unaffected, but the cost is one + the number of dice to be added, which can use up a token pool in a hurry.

Other class abilities can easily be added. Rage, for instance, would require tokens, which would determine how much of a bonus the character receives. Similarly, most paladin and monk abilities would work well with tokens.

Turn/Rebuke Undead
Turn Undead has been thrown out. Instead characters with this ability (chosen as a feat) can channel positive or negative energy to damage or heal undead in a 40’ radius. The amount is equal to 1d6 per token spent, plus the character’s Cha Mod. Turn resistance subtracts directly from the damage taken (think of it as DR vs. turning damage). Improved Turning adds one to the character’s max spend rate for purposes of Turn/Rebuke only. The Sun domain (see below) increases the character’s max spend rate by 50%, only for purposes of Turn Undead.

Domains
Domains do not grant additional spells. Each domain grants one or more abilities related to the domain. Most such abilities require the expenditure of at least one token. Right now, only casters may take domains, but I’m not convinced this limitation is strictly necessary. Some interesting character concepts that don’t require spellcasting could make use of domains.

Token Pools
Level.....Token Pool.....Maximum Spend Rate

Sorcerer Spells Known
Level.....0.....1st.....2nd.....3rd.....4th.....5th.....6th.....7th.....8th.....9th

Last edited:

Croesus

Adventurer
All feedback is welcome, but there are some specific areas I’m interested in.

1. Are the token pools too small? Too much? Just right?
2. Do too many feats and abilities require an immediate action (only one of which can used each round)? We want to force players to make choices, but don’t want to frustrate them. It’s no fun having lots of abilities, and never using most because of a lack of actions.
3. If characters don’t get a feat at every level, how does the system need to change? One obvious area to look at would be the Token Pool feats.
4. Any obvious broken combos?
5. Any ideas on how to further streamline the system, making it easier to use?
6. Some groups who've tried encounter-based systems have had a problem with casters always leading off with the same spells (usually their most powerful). We haven't had this problem yet, but jsut in case, any ideas on how to avoid it?

I’m attaching a document with more complete rules. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 3E Mod ver 2-01.doc
    303.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

GreatLemur

Explorer
Ah, dang. I didn't get a chance to post before you edited to that "coming soon" message, but I did get to read the original post. Seriously, your group's whole system sounds extraordinarily awesome. I love flexible generic classes, and your token-based spellcasting could easily be my new favorite magic system. The held token mechanic is especially great. I'm looking forward to seeing your revisions.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Seriously, your group's whole system sounds extraordinarily awesome. I love flexible generic classes, and your token-based spellcasting could easily be my new favorite magic system. The held token mechanic is especially great. I'm looking forward to seeing your revisions.

Seconded.

This is significantly better than the spell-points system my group has been using. Would require some tailoring and modification to fit my setting but you can consider it yoinked.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Croesus said:
1. Are the token pools too small? Too much? Just right?
2. Do too many feats and abilities require an immediate action (only one of which can used each round)? We want to force players to make choices, but don’t want to frustrate them. It’s no fun having lots of abilities, and never using most because of a lack of actions.
3. If characters don’t get a feat at every level, how does the system need to change? One obvious area to look at would be the Token Pool feats.
4. Any obvious broken combos?
5. Any ideas on how to further streamline the system, making it easier to use?
6. Some groups who've tried encounter-based systems have had a problem with casters always leading off with the same spells (usually their most powerful). We haven't had this problem yet, but jsut in case, any ideas on how to avoid it?

1.) The base token pool seems just about right but I noticed it doesn't seem to give a bonus for high Int. I've been experimenting with that but haven't hit on a relatively simple equation to use that wasn't either too low or too high.
2.) I think that it might be a good idea to reduce the number of feats tied to immediate actions. After I read over it again closer this time I'll add more, but I think recovering tokens might require too many actions. Combats tend not to last more than about eight rounds under most circumstances and I'd prefer if a caster could get off more spells in that time but I need to do some more math before I go further.
3.) The Token pool feats are the obvious problem, but really otherwise your advancement seems good. If there were a mechanic to get bonus tokens from casting stat bonus they wouldn't be so necessary.
4.) Not that I could see but I really need to give it a more thorough examination.
5.) As above, another closer look should give me some better ideas.
6.) This is really up to the DM to handle, spells tend to be useful under specific types of circumstances. If you notice a caster leading off with a particular spell or combo all the time it's a clue-in to start changing the conditions of the encounter.

Croesus

Adventurer
HeavenShallBurn said:
1.) The base token pool seems just about right but I noticed it doesn't seem to give a bonus for high Int. I've been experimenting with that but haven't hit on a relatively simple equation to use that wasn't either too low or too high.
2.) I think that it might be a good idea to reduce the number of feats tied to immediate actions. After I read over it again closer this time I'll add more, but I think recovering tokens might require too many actions. Combats tend not to last more than about eight rounds under most circumstances and I'd prefer if a caster could get off more spells in that time but I need to do some more math before I go further.
3.) The Token pool feats are the obvious problem, but really otherwise your advancement seems good. If there were a mechanic to get bonus tokens from casting stat bonus they wouldn't be so necessary.
4.) Not that I could see but I really need to give it a more thorough examination.
5.) As above, another closer look should give me some better ideas.
6.) This is really up to the DM to handle, spells tend to be useful under specific types of circumstances. If you notice a caster leading off with a particular spell or combo all the time it's a clue-in to start changing the conditions of the encounter.

1. Yep, we avoided adding a stat bonus intentionally. Given how small the pools are, giving some characters a bonus will lead to imbalances. Also, what stat should be used? For spellcasters, we use Cha, which means an average of +3 to +6 to the pool, depending on how high the stat. But would we use a different stat for other classes? If we do, then how do we handle multiclassing? If not, other characters have to make Cha a good stat to stay even. In the end, we found it was easier to balance if we left out a stat mod.

3. Related to adding tokens based on a stat mod, if a group is using the normal feat rules (1 per 3 levels), I think kicking up the token pools by one at all levels would be good idea. We want characters to have to make choices when using tokens, but not be starved for them.

2. I have several problems with the current WOTC rules on actions: immediate actions are the only defined action type that can be taken during another's turn (AoO's aren't defined as swift, free, or immediate); yet immediate actions are considered swift, which means you only get one, and they carry over into your character's next turn (he loses his swift action for the upcoming round), so you have more record keeping and fewer swift actions (which this system uses heavily).

The more I think about it, I wonder if allowing characters one swift action (taken during their character's turn) and one immediate action (taken during another's turn) would be the solution. It - at most - doubles the number of actions a character can take, but only if the character is using tokens to react to what others are doing. It still places a limit on what a character can do in his round, so characters don't burn their entire token pool in the first round (which isn't a good idea anyway - a few in reserve can be a lifesaver). And we don't have to remember which characters used an immediate action earlier (which might be 10-15 minutes of real time in complex battles). Might be worth a try.

As for spellcasters, getting off lots of spells hasn't been a problem for us. The problem is that after a few (3-4) rounds, they tend to run out of tokens and begin spending actions recovering them. Kind of boring for the player, but it allows the other characters to shine, which is (IMO) a good thing. And - theoretically ;) - it should discourage casters from blowing their wad as quickly as possible when a combat starts.

5. The strongest resistance we've run into when testing these rules is that players are used to a bit of extra record keeping when playing spellcasters, but not other classes. So while tokens are seen as a simplification of the spellcasting rules, they're seen as a complication of the normal combat rules. Fighters just run up and hit things, they don't worry about balancing token pools, Spent vs. Held, immediate actions to boost their saves, etc. Tokens add considerable flexibility to all characters, but players have to get used to using them for non-spellcasters. Obviously, anything that can streamline their use for the fighters and rogues will help, but I'm not sure what. Ultimately, if a group doesn't like using tokens for non-spellcasters, then they should just use the spellcasting token rules and ignore the rest, but I'd really like to make them attractive for all players.

6. Yep, I think that's why my group hasn't had too many problems with this. All players tend to latch onto a handful of spells, that become their favorites. But a GM can set up situations where they have to think outside the box. In one encounter with an skeletal bombadier beetle the sorcerer led off with turn undead. He quickly realized that another creature was healing the beetle. The party switched tactics, using ranged weapons and magic missile spells to kill the supporting creature, then took out the beetle. In another encounter, the spellcaster couldn't use burning hands to good effect because the opponents spread out among the party members (of course, this helped the party, as it kept the opponents from ganging up on just one or two PC's, so just the threat of the spell helped). In yet another, the BBEG had shield up, so magic missile spells were useless. In every case, the player came up with other ways for his character to contribute.

Remove ads