Tolkien fanfic writer sues Tolkien estate over copyright

MarkB

Legend
There are a ton of ways that a sequel to Lord of the Rings could work. It could be about the generation after Aragorn stuggling to keep the peace - and succeeding. It could be about a small band of characters uncovering a lost Elven relic. There are endless possibilities. Now, if Tolkien just didn't feel like writing those stories, that's fine. It's his perogative to write the stories he wants to. But there's no reason the sequel would have to escalate, and there's no reason a competent writer like Tolkien couldn't write a story that maintained the ending of LotR if he wanted to.
A thousand years after the defeat of Sauron, a terrible new threat stirs in the unlikeliest of places. A new dark lord has emerged, leading a people more indomitable than any in the world. The lands of Men will tremble at the rise of those who had been beneath their notice, as they face The Fury of The Shire.

Ryujin

Legend
A thousand years after the defeat of Sauron, a terrible new threat stirs in the unlikeliest of places. A new dark lord has emerged, leading a people more indomitable than any in the world. The lands of Men will tremble at the rise of those who had been beneath their notice, as they face The Fury of The Shire.
I'm picturing a bunch of Hobbit Assassins having free reign of the Kingdoms of Men, because the Men refuse to drop their gaze below the level of the horizon. Little furry footed Assassins just walking by, right in front of them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm picturing a bunch of Hobbit Assassins having free rein of the Kingdoms of Men, because the Men refuse to drop their gaze below the level of the horizon. Little furry footed Assassins just walking by, right in front of them.
Sooooo…a reboot of Fineous Fingers?

Clint_L

Hero
So, I don't like his purple prose, but this guy's basic story idea is interesting. The Blue Wizards really did just kind of wander off into the East, never to be mentioned again, and the notion that there could be other ancient magics (maybe not more rings of power but other artifacts) tied to followers of Morgoth, and part of a plan to bring Morgoth himself back...that's a fine D&D campaign. And I like that it is built around Sam's eldest daughter. Bringing in a few other characters that we barely got to meet in LotR is a solid idea, too.

Don't get me wrong; the quality of the writing looks terrible. But as far as fan fiction goes, this is a solid premise.

Remove ads