D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation - how's it going so far?! **spoilers**

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
First off, don't want to start whole sandbox / railroad discussion, really want to get into using book.

I've had time to skim & consider ToA, and I think it's top notch. The book is chock full of fantastic stuff, and I can't wait to get rolling with it.

The content is pretty overwhelming, and it can be tough for GM's new and old to put all that data into something that can actually be run at the table. Like many of you, there's no way I can have huge chunks of the adventure ready all the time, and allow the players free reign over where they go and when. I'll be limiting the player choices to a few options so I know what to prep ahead of time, and there are locations / encounters in the book I think are a fantastic fit for my gang. There are others I think are silly and likely won't use.

I've known for months about book coming out, so already had seeds planted and had an NPC ally fall victim to the death curse. The party just completed the Cellar of Death (from dmsguild) and learned about it and the fact they need to travel to the jungles of Chult. Syndra is going to take them as detailed in the adventure, and I know the 'big rocks' are they need to hire a guide and hear some gossip and rumors in Port Nyanzaru.

There's tons of stuff that can happen in PN, and several important NPC's that can be met. I really like the Spa Day encounter (from the Encounters in Port Nyanzaru supplement -dmsguild again) and want to use it.

So, how did you kick things off and get things rolling?

Last edited:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I'm surprised people are running it already. I don't know how they could've read through the entire book and taken it all in before running it. You'd have to spend at least a solid 2-3 days doing nothing but reading it. It's not so much the word count as it is the flipping between references like maps, NPC descriptions, etc. to get an understanding of how it all connects that takes the time. And I'd highly recommend anyone running it to read through it in its entirety. A lot of thought has been given to how everything interacts within this campaign so there is a lot of potential to miss those tie-ins if you haven't read everything. It's also necessary to do a lot of foreshadowing and plant clues and hints that pay-off later. Without having that depth of understanding of how things will play out, they could be easily missed as a DM, which means the players lose out on that sense of foreboding and mysteries revealed.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
I'm surprised people are running it already. I don't know how they could've read through the entire book and taken it all in before running it. You'd have to spend at least a solid 2-3 days doing nothing but reading it. It's not so much the word count as it is the flipping between references like maps, NPC descriptions, etc. to get an understanding of how it all connects that takes the time. And I'd highly recommend anyone running it to read through it in its entirety. A lot of thought has been given to how everything interacts within this campaign so there is a lot of potential to miss those tie-ins if you haven't read everything. It's also necessary to do a lot of foreshadowing and plant clues and hints that pay-off later. Without having that depth of understanding of how things will play out, they could be easily missed as a DM, which means the players lose out on that sense of foreboding and mysteries revealed.

Err... It's been out for over 2 weeks already, read through already. Same could be said for reviews ;)

In any case, doesn't seem like many are rolling on it yet so I'm sure we'll see more feedback on gameplay in the days and weeks ahead.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Err... It's been out for over 2 weeks already, read through already. Same could be said for reviews ;)

In any case, doesn't seem like many are rolling on it yet so I'm sure we'll see more feedback on gameplay in the days and weeks ahead.

Two weeks isn't very long when you've got a full time job. 2-3 days of dense reading, plus preparation time, spread out over a full working week, means that if anyone is currently running it, they are either unemployed, incredibly fast readers, or are running it without having read through it fully or spent much time preparing for it. And that's not even taking into account having a group ready and willing to go on this particular campaign book, right when it comes out.

So sure, people might've started running it by now, but it's not like they're going to have in-depth knowledge and experience of it 2-weeks out from launch.

Nebulous

Legend

I don't agree that it ALL needs to be read. I didn't read all of Princes when I ran it and that turned out fine. Frankly, details of the Tomb of the Nine Gods can be left for later. I do think the adventure needs to be front loaded with plot hooks and NPCs though, and a few foreshadowings, but in our short 2 to 3 hour sessions, there's only so much that can be crammed in. I could spend three sessions in Port Nyanzaru if I wanted, and that may happen still, I don't know yet, we have not started.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I don't agree that it ALL needs to be read. I didn't read all of Princes when I ran it and that turned out fine.

PotA is an entirely different campaign with a much different structure. In fact, it barely had any structure at all other than, "this is an adventure location," and "this is another adventure location." It was about as modular as you can get.

You could do the same with SKT since it barely has a plot at all and what plot exists doesn't even make sense. But you couldn't do the same with OotA or CoS. They really require the DM knowing what's coming and the overall plot and structure in order to do it justice. Otherwise, the players will be just as confused and misinformed as the DM. ToA is the same.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
So anyway . . . back to OP.

There's lots to do in Port N, exploring the city at least for a session or two is a must, and at least finding out about guides and (likely) hiring one of them. Picking up a few special items like the rain catcher and bug dope seem pretty important, as well as learning about throat leeches!

I'm not sure I'm going to use dinosaur race rules unless the players seems really into it. It might be something they see as they are exploring the city. I'd really like my gang to bump into a few of the red wizards and maybe have a bit of a chase, as well as hear lots of rumors around town.

I'd like to get them out exploring pretty quick, and will have at least the first few areas right around PN generally prepped (Fort Beluarian, Port Castigliar, Camp Righteous).

Nebulous

Legend
So anyway . . . back to OP.

There's lots to do in Port N, exploring the city at least for a session or two is a must, and at least finding out about guides and (likely) hiring one of them. Picking up a few special items like the rain catcher and bug dope seem pretty important, as well as learning about throat leeches!

I'm not sure I'm going to use dinosaur race rules unless the players seems really into it. It might be something they see as they are exploring the city. I'd really like my gang to bump into a few of the red wizards and maybe have a bit of a chase, as well as hear lots of rumors around town.

I'd like to get them out exploring pretty quick, and will have at least the first few areas right around PN generally prepped (Fort Beluarian, Port Castigliar, Camp Righteous).

That's pretty much what i expect from our whole first session. IF they stay a second session, I doubt it will happen, they'll level up to 2nd after the first game and probably be ready to check out the jungle.

So, question, how much information are you allowing Guides to have? PCs might expect an encyclopedic memory of any and every location, but of course, the guides still have limited knowledge.

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
So, question, how much information are you allowing Guides to have? PCs might expect an encyclopedic memory of any and every location, but of course, the guides still have limited knowledge.

Several of the guides have explored before, and want to go back to certain areas so they would know what's around those. I think most would know about leeches, diseases, etc but maybe not. . . I think Faroul & Gondolo are the two nitwits who would know the least.

Remove ads