Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

D&D Beyond is meant to make things easier as a tabletop replacement for flipping through books. The argument that it's "no more difficult" than flipping through a physical book is ridiculous and defeats the point of buying D&D Beyond in the first place.

But I feel that DDB is much easier. Even though having to go back to the index page isn't ideal, having multiple (including, for the moment until fixed, index) tabs open is a lot easier than sitcky bookmarks in your book and is much, much quicker when you want to look at a dozen things at once. Which is often at the table as DM. The links in the text make DDB so much better than books, linking to spells etc, just so useful. Being able to print high res DM and /or player maps and handouts is a world apart from photocopying books.

On DDB you also get a very useful character builder, and I enjoy making PCs for the hell of it as a permanent DM, and the ability to parse things suck as monsters by tags is vastly beyond what you get from books for prep. And unlike Fantasy Gournds (which is an awesome VTT, don;t get me wrong) I can sit down and read books with my iPad, which is a real pleasure on the move.

So I think, even as it stands, DDB is much better (and cheaper as long as you already have the right device) way to get your 5E books. And, as you've mentioned previously and I'm in the same boat, it's improving all the time and just out of BETA. I'm only saying this not for arguments sake but because those who have not used (no reason why though, wen a free account gives you everything in the basic rules) shouldn't be put off that it's not good. A laptop at the table with DDB is an awesome tool for the DM.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I like the tin and dice overall, not like the marble green in the ad- nice enough for me though. my group had no clue as to Acererak and him being in Chult until I had Jurassic World on the tv when they walked in, found an Acererak hidden in the room and the dice tin as well. Only 1 of the 4 players picked up since he did Tomb of horrors back in the day. 6 months ago I had the big fold out map of tomb of horrors on the wall in my house which caused some panic, took it down so out of sight out of mind. :)

Fildrigar

Explorer
This book must be selling like hot-cakes, both FLGS' near me have sold out; guess I have to wait for general release! Who knew 5th edition sold so incredibly well?!?

Huh. In spite of all the hate here for Forgotten Realms, Wizards must be doing something right. Almost like people who frequent forums aren't the center of the RPG world. Weird.

Fildrigar

Explorer
I do have one more thing to say (LOL)!

I own 1E's Waterdeep and the North, 2E's Free City of Greyhawk and City of Splendors box sets, and 3E's Waterdeep: City of Splendors book ..... and Green Ronin's Freeport book smokes them all in my opinion. Would love to see Green Ronin do a Free City of Greyhawk book!! It would be godly!

It's funny that you mentioned the 3.0 Ravenloft books and the 3.5 Dragonlance books. I have tons of those RL books and almost all of the DL 3.5 books. That is why I'd love to see WoTC outsource again, because in my opinion .... that outsourced material for 3.0/3.5 is golden!

At least we agree on the outsourcing.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Pramas ( one of the owners of Green Ronin ) is a huuuuuge Greyhawk fan. I'm sure he'd love to get the license for it from Wizards. Not sure if Wizards would give it to him though.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Pramas ( one of the owners of Green Ronin ) is a huuuuuge Greyhawk fan. I'm sure he'd love to get the license for it from Wizards. Not sure if Wizards would give it to him though.

There's no way WotC will license Greyhawk (or any setting for that matter IMO). They're mining and referencing that stuff all over the place.

Hmm. From what I can tell, the Great Modron March (the adventure) was about the March being about 190 years early. The current date in FR is about 130 years after the events of the adventure. Add a fudge factor on account of planar time dilation and FR being out of synch blah blah Spellplague/Sundering, and it could be time for the proper March.

So, just to follow up on this, someone on reddit is stating that there's a mundane item that's actually a Sigil gate-key to Arcadia near the end of the adventure (I'll confirm once I can get my hands on the book, or if someone else can confirm for me). That not only hints at an upcoming planar adventure, but since Arcadia would be the first plane (outside the Outlands) where the March would go, that also seems to point towards a Great Modron March adventure...

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
So, just to follow up on this, someone on reddit is stating that there's a mundane item that's actually a Sigil gate-key to Arcadia near the end of the adventure (I'll confirm once I can get my hands on the book, or if someone else can confirm for me). That not only hints at an upcoming planar adventure, but since Arcadia would be the first plane (outside the Outlands) where the March would go, that also seems to point towards a Great Modron March adventure...
[sblock]The spectacles are also a gate key that opens a portal in the planar city of Sigil. The portal is a two-way door to the plane of Arcadia.[/sblock]
From the book. That sentence seems as clear as mud though.

I think I might as well. The green tint is very light. I had expected a green powered coat, or something matte green in color which would allow for nice detail revealing shadows across the face.
This is what I feared. The preview was an obvious digital image and yet I couldn't get any information on what they actually looked like until they came out. Now that I've seen them, I've cancelled my order. These are not the premium dice in a nice green tin you were looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads