• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
I wasn't planning on getting this, but all buzz made me want to check it out. I did and decided to buy. I have only skimmed it so far, but here are a couple of quick thoughts:

1) Acererak is a lot tougher than a standard lich. I think he is closer to what people think of when they think of liches.

2) The atropal is interesting. I would have probably given it innate spellcasting, but it has some interesting abilities that could be troublesome.

3) Didn't realize we would be getting a statblock for Volo

4) The pull out map is nice, I didn't realize it came with one.

5) I don't like that all the monsters from VGtM that are in the adventure are reprinted here. I wish they had used that space differently. Personally, I think it is OK to assume you need to own VGtM and the MM, but I know others will disagree.

6) Glad to see the nine gods are "false gods," I was wondering how A could shackle nine gods.

Yeah, myself and many others on a budget disagree with your #5

;-)

ddaley

Explorer
I have the Volo Guide (in print), but do like that the creatures are reprinted. That would just be another book that I need to drag out (and purchase on D&D Beyond). I will eventually purchase Volo's Guide on D&D Beyond anyways, but don't want to do that now.

;-)

dave2008

Legend

;-)

I understand (and I too am on a budget), but it takes up a lot of space in the book (or least it feels like it does - 1/4 of the book is appendices), that I feel could add more to the adventure. Of course I haven't read it yet - so maybe it is pages well spent.

dave2008

Legend
I have the Volo Guide (in print), but do like that the creatures are reprinted. That would just be another book that I need to drag out (and purchase on D&D Beyond). I will eventually purchase Volo's Guide on D&D Beyond anyways, but don't want to do that now.

I definitely see the value with DDB, but in print it is a lot of extra pages.

dave2008

Legend
Interesting bit #7: The adventure is for PCs 1-11, yet the BBEG is CR 23. Instead of making Acererak weaker (like RoT & OotA), they give you a mechanism to buff the PCs and a way to end the fight early. I like both.

Remove ads

Remove ads