Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

ddaley

Explorer
I use FG at the table... but I have the book as well. I use FG to display images and maps to the players. I also use the combat tracker, though we roll physical dice and enter the results manually. I have also added D&D Beyond into the mix, because it is much quicker to look up spells and other reference material in D&D Beyond. Yeah, I spend way too much money on this hobby.

I only play at the table, but I do have FG (the game I got it for fell through). I am wondering if anyone has run a game at the table using FG as a resource? How well does it compare to just the book?

Zarithar

Adventurer
So are their any interesting ties to the original Tomb of Horrors or Dwellers of the Forbidden City (aside from Acererak of course)?

JesterOC

Explorer
Hmm the $24 for DnDBeyond is very temping. Making the total price fairly steep Book + Online resource... but damn... an online resource for this adventure might be just what I need.

I only play at the table, but I do have FG (the game I got it for fell through). I am wondering if anyone has run a game at the table using FG as a resource? How well does it compare to just the book?
Lots of people use FG in face-to-face games. An examples;
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/foru...ble-for-FG-IRL&p=286155&viewfull=1#post286155

FG has both a reference manual section which is similar (but not identical) to a PDF of the book, plus is has everything available as the appropriate database object types; stories, encounters, NPCs, parcels, items, maps and then links between them. Check out some FG play on YouTube or Twitch to see people actually using it.

At D&D Beyond all adventures are $24.99. This should take you to it, I think.

Edit: Oh, ninja'ed!! :)
Thanks, but you have to have a Twitch account to see that page.

Does DDB have the adventures in a format you can sit down and read then from start to finish? i.e. something akin to a pdf?

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
The lizard king adventure into from Shawn Merwin says "real meat of theTomb of Annihilation adventure begins when the player charactersreach 4th or 5th level."

Lots of people use FG in face-to-face games. An examples;
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/foru...ble-for-FG-IRL&p=286155&viewfull=1#post286155

FG has both a reference manual section which is similar (but not identical) to a PDF of the book, plus is has everything available as the appropriate database object types; stories, encounters, NPCs, parcels, items, maps and then links between them. Check out some FG play on YouTube or Twitch to see people actually using it.

Thanks, but you have to have a Twitch account to see that page.

Does DDB have the adventures in a format you can sit down and read then from start to finish? i.e. something akin to a pdf?

Sorry, didn't realize it was behind the login.

But, yes you get the full text of the books (although I didn't see the disclaimer) :( as web pages. Typically a page for each chapter, I think. There's a left navigation for jumping between sections, and everything that they can link into the tools is linked. So if it mentions Acererak, it is a link that you can hover over to see a summary of his info, and you can click it to get the full details.

I keep hoping they will release one of the free adventures like SKT: A Great Upheaval so that people can see what the adventures are like prior to purchasing. I can also dig around and see what screenshots are out there.

Oh, and all images and maps are clickable so that they are a modal pop up in higher-res (appears over the rest of the page which is darkened), and you can right click and save them. For most adventures, they have player maps as well, but I'm not sure if they have them for all adventures yet - that's dependent on WotC giving them player maps. Tomb of Annihilation looks to have player maps.

ddaley

Explorer
I have not purchased an adventure yet. I also am surprised that they did not include a free, sample adventure so that people could get an idea of what they are like prior to purchasing.

I keep hoping they will release one of the free adventures like SKT: A Great Upheaval so that people can see what the adventures are like prior to purchasing. I can also dig around and see what screenshots are out there.

Oh, and all images and maps are clickable so that they are a modal pop up in higher-res (appears over the rest of the page which is darkened), and you can right click and save them. For most adventures, they have player maps as well, but I'm not sure if they have them for all adventures yet - that's dependent on WotC giving them player maps. Tomb of Annihilation looks to have player maps.

Remove ads

Remove ads