Tomb of Annihilation Is Here - What Do You Think?

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Today's the day - WotC's latest Dungeons & Dragons adventure, Tomb of Annihilation, is out! Head on down to your friendly (or unfriendly) local (or not so local) gaming (or comic) store and pick up your copy. Alternatively, if you use a virtual table top, it's available for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 12.53.29.png

My FLGS didn't get their shipment, so unfortunately I wasn't able to get the full book. I did, however, purchase the monster package on D&D Beyond (because, hey, monsters can always be used in hombrew in the meantime and in the future!), and I really like the various new monsters available. I'm very happy to see a nice selection of nasty plant foes, which were lacking in the MM, including a lot of my favorites that hadn't been updated yet to 5e - it will be nice to surprise my players with assassin vines or yellow musk creepers/zombies. Also, there are three new CR 10+ monsters (not including Acererak himself), which is at least a small step towards getting more higher-level foes...

ddaley

Explorer
I haven't even finished chapter 1 yet (keep getting distracted with appendices), but, I am loving this so far.

My FLGS didn't get their shipment, so unfortunately I wasn't able to get the full book. I did, however, purchase the monster package on D&D Beyond (because, hey, monsters can always be used in hombrew in the meantime and in the future!), and I really like the various new monsters available. I'm very happy to see a nice selection of nasty plant foes, which were lacking in the MM, including a lot of my favorites that hadn't been updated yet to 5e - it will be nice to surprise my players with assassin vines or yellow musk creepers/zombies. Also, there are three new CR 10+ monsters (not including Acererak himself), which is at least a small step towards getting more higher-level foes...

It does indeed suck, unless they assume everyone has a color copier

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
5/6th of my table has high resolution instant scanners in their pockets (known as "smartphones) so that's less of an issue.

PDFs are nice, but I can also just text a handout instantly...

SubDude

Explorer
"Disclaimer: this adventure will make your players hate you--the kind of simmering hatred that eats away at their souls until all that remains are little dark spheres of annihilation where their hearts used to be. PS don't forget to tear up their character sheets"

And I just put that on the outside of my Screen.

I'm really enjoying the information on the starting Port and Chult. (I'm a sucker for region fluff and maps)
I haven't really gotten into the dungeon chapter(s) yet.
The monster appendix is nice.
My only gripe (and it's minor) ..... I really wish they'd stop moving Greyhawk stuff out of Greyhawk. So far we've had Elemental Evil moved to the Realms, Mordenkainen trapped in Ravenloft, and now Acererak is in the Realms. If all this stuff is cool, (and it is) give us a Greyhawk book.
Even Mike Schley got in on the action today and gave away the pull-out map for free!!
Overall, so far .... I'm very happy I was able to get this early.

JesterOC

Explorer
For those that have it, how does this adventure and its locations work as a sidequest source? I've got a homebrew campaign on the Sword Coast, and would be perfectly happy to ship my players (or, at least, their characters) down to Chult for a couple months to do a jungle themed exploration story. Will this book have useful stuff for that, or is it all laser-focused on the adventure storyline?

I have not read the vast majority of the book of course. But I would not say laser focused. However it seems that many small encounters have clues that hint to the big picture. As perkins said the story is designed to slowly unfold. From the little I have read it does look like it does that by using NPCs that you find along the way.

Given that, it looks OK for a side-quest source and a good jungle terrain source (just like Out of the Abyss was good if you plan to run adventures in the under-dark). But most likely a bit costly if that is all you are going to be using it for.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
So I got it for roll20, and so far I love what I see. I specially love the new backgrounds and the 10 feet pole pseudo joke in the archaeology one.

CapnZapp

Legend
My only gripe (and it's minor) ..... I really wish they'd stop moving Greyhawk stuff out of Greyhawk. So far we've had Elemental Evil moved to the Realms, Mordenkainen trapped in Ravenloft, and now Acererak is in the Realms.

I believe that particular boat has sailed.

To me it's clear they've concluded the game doesn't need multiple worlds, or it risks confusing future movie and toy customers, which is where the real money is.

At least there can be no doubt they are moving everything and the kitchen sink into the Realms.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

Remove ads