D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation - Moral Question

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Another example: Why does Acererak want to create an evil god? What is the atropal's identity? And why is it's "completion" considered *worse* than the destruction of all liches? These questions seem tied together, but the book is silent on them. "Because he's evil!" "It doesn't matter - it's *bad*!" seem to be the only answers I extract from the book. Knowing my inquisitive players, these are questions they will ask at some point, so I'm looking for good answers in older D&D sources that mention Acererak, atropals, and Chult...
Yeah... It made a lot more sense in the 4e Tomb of Horrors adventure, where he had pretty much the exact same plot, except the effects of the Soul Engine (as it was called in that adventure) were much more localized, and the goal was to turn HIMSELF into a god instead of creating a new one.

Quite frankly, it seems like they wanted to recycle the plot from that adventure, since it was a cool idea that a lot of fans wouldn’t notice was a retread since it was from late in 4e’s run. But they wanted higher stakes, so they upped the scope of the Soulmomger, and they didn’t want to change the status quo in the lore, so they had him make a god instead of becoming one.

I'd be tempted to just get on the phone to Asmodeus who'd teleport in EVERY ONE of his cultists from across the globe and storm the place.

Job done...

LOL, funny and good point. Devils with their souls upon your death contract habits would be very unhappy that souls were being diverted and annihilated before they could be collected.

Quickleaf

Legend
I noted something similar in one of posts in the Enhancing ToA thread. Connecting everything up while keeping a good narrative and keeping a careful eye on party progression vs anticipated challenge level is really a juggling act.

As for starving liches, I assume there are souls-a-plenty for the taking (or at least bargaining) in the lower planes.

Yeah, I've been slowly wading through the Enhancing ToA thread - some great ideas there :) , lots of ideas for working out minor details, but I haven't yet found anything that addresses the overarching narrative issues with ToA... These are the questions I'm asking myself:

• What is Acererak's specific motivation in nurturing an atropal into an evil god? And why did he choose Chult?
  • How do the players discover the significance of the Lost City Omu in way that doesn't devolve to an information dump from a Red Wizard or other NPC?
  • How do these heaps upon heaps of random encounters contribute to a meaningful narrative with rising action, forehadowing, etc.?

Pauper said:
Good point in general, but mechanically, there's no reason why speak with dead wouldn't work on someone affected by the Death Curse -- the spell doesn't let you speak with a soul, but a corpse, and its description explicitly notes that "[t]his spell doesn't return the creature's soul to its body..." It's not really clear what spell, if any, you'd use to contact a specific mortal soul in the afterworld -- contact other plane specifies that the contacted entity is "a demigod, the spirit of a long-dead sage, or some other mysterious entity", and while you could probably do it with a wish, the wording of wish suggests both that such a casting is very likely to go wrong ("the greater the wish, the greater the likelihood that something goes wrong"), as well as be very rarely used for such a purpose (not only do you take stress for casting wish in this manner, but there's a 1-in-3 chance that anyone casting wish will never be able to do so again).

Ah, I see...hmm...well, without speak with dead being affected...that really doesn't provide the DM with a way to let the player characters know that the Death Curse prevents souls from reaching their eternal reward. And that cuts off a whole avenue of storytelling that could add much needed depth to the ToA's narrative.

One option -- Dungeon #153 published a stand-alone adventure called "Prisoner of the Castle Perilous", in which one of Acererak's simulacra attempts to gain individual personhood by manipulating a pair of adventuring parties (one PCs, one NPCs); this adventure's narrative weirdness can be effectively short-circuited with the idea that, instead of the true Acererak, this Acererak is yet another simulacrum and that reviving the atropal is just a side-effect of the purpose of achieving full personhood.

Thanks for the idea, but regardless of a true Acererak, a simulacrum Acererak, or whatever, the question of motive still remains. Why create an evil god? Is it some twisted need to pass on a legacy that Acererak has developed, but being a lich is unable to sire children? Is the specific atropal actually the defeated demon lord Orcus and Acererak is trying to gain control overall undead everywhere by subverting Orcus' power as his own? Those might be motives I could actually use.

I get the impression that the reason given is nothing more than "for the LULZ".

Acererak is basically the epitome of everything. He is an almost unkillable Lich AND if you succeed in killing him he reforms where his hidden jar is and the module straight out states the Jar is so well hidden that no mortal of god can find it.

So at this point he may just exist to travel around and entertain himself across the multiverse.

AFAICT, you're right. I'm OK with Acererak being a shallow "Evil Lich Villain" who exists to antagonize the PCs. I can put on a Skeletor voice and ham up my role-play of him, no problem.

But I do need to devise something more than "Why be a god when I can be a creator of gods?" for his motive. That tells me nothing useful. I mean, after my players answer "who/what is responsible for the Death Curse?" (Acererak & the atropal), the next question they're going to ask is "Why? What's the point of making an evil god & why should we care?"

What I can glean from ToA and older adventures about Acererak...
(a) he was a half-demon child taken as an apprentice of Vecna despite warnings Vecna received to kill the half-demon,
(b) he also became a priest of Orcus in life,
(c) he doesn't seek worshippers or godhood, unlike his former master Vecna, but small villainous groups revere him all the same,
(d) he collects artifacts throughout the planes,
(e) many mages seeking lichdom turn to Orcus for knowledge of the required ritual,
(f) Acererak seems to have special hatred for –and/or hunger for – powerful adventurers,
(g) he found the atropal adrift at the edge of the Negative Energy Plane and built the Soulmonger to nourish it to godhood.

Just to tell you Quickleif An Atropal is a god that never got to be a god. An Atropal has no identity as it never fully came into existence. It's not Orcus or anything else it's just one of the many Atropals floating in the planes.

Acererak is trying to create a god out of it cause he has nothing better to do. The entire Tome of the Nine Gods was created just so he could kill people for fun he only decided to put the Atropal there way after he created the Tomb.

Acererak is primarily just a dick. Who enjoys building tombs and traps, putting a sign that says here be treasure. Then letting people die to it. The god he creates will be under his influence and the Party should care because the creation of that Evil God is going to kill millions of people and their souls.

Also in regards to your first question why he chose Chult. There is no reason there, Acererak builds Tombs full of traps all over the planes and the Tomb of the Nine Gods is just one of them. When he found the Atropal he decided to hide it in that Tomb rather then one of the other ones.

Yeah, I've been slowly wading through the Enhancing ToA thread - some great ideas there :) , lots of ideas for working out minor details, but I haven't yet found anything that addresses the overarching narrative issues with ToA... These are the questions I'm asking myself:

• What is Acererak's specific motivation in nurturing an atropal into an evil god? And why did he choose Chult?
  • How do the players discover the significance of the Lost City Omu in way that doesn't devolve to an information dump from a Red Wizard or other NPC?
  • How do these heaps upon heaps of random encounters contribute to a meaningful narrative with rising action, forehadowing, etc.?

Acererak found an Atropal and thought it would be groovy to make a new death god. Chult was chosen long ago when he engineered the destruction of Omu and facilitated the construction of the Tomb.

In my game the players went to Grandfather Zitembe, who could not see the location or nature of the Soulmonger. He sent them on a journey to recover a divining artifact from a moldering temple on the Snout of Ogmar (Tortle Package). Once they retrieved that they returned and Grandfather Zitembe was able to divine info on the Soulmonger, but in doing so his soul was ensnared and he began to waste away.

I spent a couple of hours each week developing what the encounters would be for that week's play. Tried to organize them in an organic way, seeding in some recurring characters and foreshadowing coming events. Added a few forks in the path for PC choices and went from there. They just went into the Yuan-Ti Fane, and are probably just a little too powerful for it, but I can balance that. Once that's over they will have the Puzzle Cubes (they just did one temple, with the Yuan-Ti having the others) and know where the Tomb entrance should be (killed a few Red Wizards for that info).

Acererak is the returning spirit of Gary Gygax formed within DnD itself.

He has become angry that DnD has become so much about "story" and "character development" and all that "nanny pants crap" that DMs and players like to have while holding hands and singing around the campfire.

Angry what how warm fuzzy and PC his game of death and player torture has become he returned in spirit in the game to kill as many players as possible. A reminder of what DnD is SUPPOSED to be. :D

Quickleaf

Legend
Just to tell you Quickleif An Atropal is a god that never got to be a god. An Atropal has no identity as it never fully came into existence. It's not Orcus or anything else it's just one of the many Atropals floating in the planes.

Acererak is trying to create a god out of it cause he has nothing better to do. The entire Tome of the Nine Gods was created just so he could kill people for fun he only decided to put the Atropal there way after he created the Tomb.

Acererak is primarily just a dick. Who enjoys building tombs and traps, putting a sign that says here be treasure. Then letting people die to it. The god he creates will be under his influence and the Party should care because the creation of that Evil God is going to kill millions of people and their souls.

Also in regards to your first question why he chose Chult. There is no reason there, Acererak builds Tombs full of traps all over the planes and the Tomb of the Nine Gods is just one of them. When he found the Atropal he decided to hide it in that Tomb rather then one of the other ones.

Yep, I get that the adventure's default answer is "no reason." For some groups or for Adventurer's League, that's probably fine. However, I have an inquisitive group of players who enjoy an engaging narrative, so I'm exploring ideas that go behind that non-answer.

And I did read up on atropals – after reading four sources (Tomb of Annihilation, FR wiki, 3e Epic Level Handbook, 4e Monster Manual), I am no closer to understanding what the heck "a god that never got to be a god" means than I was before I read all that source material. Narratively, I have no idea what an atropal actually *is* or how to meaningfully depict it. And just going with the whole "aborted fetus" thing wouldn't fly for my group's sensitivities (there are mommies and daddies).

I see ToA as being a really great toolkit rather than a complete adventure with a cohesive narrative. I'll be running a home game, so I expect to adapt and add elements as needed for my group. Just seeing who else out there has been doing the same to swap notes. :)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Acererak is feeding souls to the atropal, aiming for its god-hood, because he has discovered a fundamental fact about D&D in-game universe metaphysics:
If you set out to make yourself into a god using an untested process (because you want to be the first one), something horribly bad happens at the climactic moment and you fail utterly; so utterly that your name becomes legend due to the scope and scale of your failure. (This contrasts in the starkest of terms with the scope and scale of your prior vision.)

Acererak is going to use the atropal as a test subject, let all the adventurers and other not-really-random interference take IT out, and learn from the process / experience. He has something planned - and not discussed in the module - that will give him a way to manipulate the new god, or destroy it and reap all the benefits thereof himself
He will make himself a god later, and do so quietly.

Acererak picked Chult as a lair because it is legendarily difficult to survive, and he wants to benefit from the most rigorous "survival of the fittest" he can create, in case he should need to push himself into a body for a while (due to unforeseen unpleasant circumstances interrupting his primary plans). I doubt Acererak has ever read The Dosadi Experiment, but his motive could be similar to the conspirator-creators of Dosadi.

dave2008

Legend
And just going with the whole "aborted fetus" thing wouldn't fly for my group's sensitivities (there are mommies and daddies).

It might be in 4e, but I believe it was described in one source as a creature that failed in its attempt to ascend to godhood. That seems pretty easy to explain, it has the added bonus that ascending to godhood is supposed to difficult, treacherous, and almost, if not completely, impossible to discovery how to do (so you don't and shouldn't go into details).

Yeah... It made a lot more sense in the 4e Tomb of Horrors adventure

Heh. Thank you. ;)

I can't speak to Tomb of Annihilation in any way; I own it, but I haven't read it yet. What I can speak to is my view of Acererak, based on prior publications and on what we tried to do with him in the 4E Tomb.

Yes, Acererak is mad, so there's some validity to the description of him earlier as a dick or a troll. Some. But not all.

His madness has to do with his methods, not his goals. He has to prove himself stronger, smarter, and better than any who would oppose him, and he has to keep himself entertained in the process. (Immortality gets dull.) So he goes for all sorts of death traps, convoluted schemes, the works. But they are still a means to an end, not an end of themselves.

He is not the Joker. He might do things equally crazy, but never for their own sake.

In Return to the Tomb of Horrors, he tried to become one with the Negative Energy Plane, and thus all undead. In the 4E Tomb, he tried to build himself a body out of god parts (more or less).

He has goals. They may not always involve gaining power, but they're always there.

So if he's trying to create an evil god? He has a reason for it beyond "Heh, heh, heh, cool!" Maybe, as suggested above, he's testing something. Maybe he has reason to think he can control it. Maybe he's trying to draw the gods' attentions here so he can go do something somewhere else. Maybe he's just trying to prove a point to someone.

But no matter how byzantine his schemes, no matter how utterly insane his actions, somewhere there's a motive behind them.

Remove ads