Tomb of Annihilation

Nebulous

Legend
ALSO, DMs Guild has a supplement about Mezro, and it is an excellent 40 page addition that could never have made it into the core book. In fact, the core adventure states there is nothing of interest in Mezro anymore, but it became easily one of the most fascinating parts of the campaign (so far). There hasn't been a dull part at all actually, and it looks like Omu, The Tomb of the Nine Gods and The Fane of the Night Serpent will be even more amazing.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I'm DM for a group of high schools students, all of whom are relatively new to the game. They are in Omu, but haven't entered the Fane or the Tomb yet.

They started at level 5, with characters from their previous adventures. I replaced Syndra Silvane with an NPC who had been a quest giver for them previously (The Seer from the Tier 1 SKT AL season).

I had worked out a whole system to "simplify" tracking water, insect repellent, and exhaustion during the jungle exploration. It still felt rather tedious, and I eventually dropped most of it.

I rolled for weather and random encounters ahead of time, which helped, but it did become a bit of a slog. After my group left Hrakhamar, we shifted to 5 day exploration chunks. I hand waved moved of the encounters in a chunk; we only played out those I thought were interesting. If I had it to do over again, from the beginning I would have used the random encounter rolls as inspiration, but adjusted things for more interest, and done more to connect those encounters to the wider story of Chult and/or the death curse.

None of our players had been resurrected, so the death curse was only an issue in terms of saving the Seer, and that didn't seem to add a lot of pressure on them.

As mentioned above, there is a real dearth of clues and hints. I ended up adding a bunch. I used devices like finding a dead adventurer's diary, messages from the Seer/quest giver, and visions received by an NPC cleric. (I turned one of the prisoners in Hrakhamar into a Forge Cleric, to give them a guide option that wasn't as worthless as Musharib, and then gave I'm visions). I would encourage you to sort out a method for occasional brief communication with the quest-giver (whether that is Syndra or someone else.). In our case, the Seer has a Pseudodragon familiar who had served as an intermediary before they arrived in Chult. With someone else I would encourage sending stones or some other method.

I spent some time customizing the Red Wizards in Omu, to give them a little more personality and flavor. I'm not sure it was entirely worth the effort I put into it, but at the very least it helped me see them as individual characters and not bland targets.

Good note keeping in Omu in terms of who finds the cubes when is important.

If players start at a level above level 1, think about adjusting the abilities/CR of the guide they choose (if they choose one). My crew picked Musharib, and he proved to be a big liability in combat situations. Companion NPCs shouldn't outshine the party, but Musharib was so far below their level that they were constantly frustrated with him.

My crew has generally not done well with the puzzles in the various dungeons. The clues and hints are generally just too opaque.

Daern

Explorer
I'm a player in a campaign that has slogged down to the 5th? level of the final Tomb. The Tomb has been my favorite part. Omu was ok. I can imagine it being run more dynamically than our play through. I agree with all the ideas for setting up the Red Wizard and Yuan-Ti factions earlier in the campaign.
The biggest issue for me was the scale of the map and the Death Curse. The map is exactly 10 times too big. The hexes should be one mile. Travel was tedious and because it took so long to go anywhere your couldn't really change your mind once you started because it would take SESSIONS to get anywhere or back or whatever. That makes it really difficult to go explore weird stuff.
The Death Curse is dumb. First of all, it's a 1%er problem. I've never loved the idea of Raise Dead as a common thing in a fantasy world. The idea that the problem is that spell going away is underwhelming. And as people said the time limit is totally awkward, especially when you have to spend months in the jungle. I'd drop it completely. Also the undead army thing felt pretty random. Are they connected to the soul monger? I'd be more into it if the problem was the soul monger was bringing all humans back to life as zombies. Classic.
The tomb has been really fun. Yes, it's turned into puzzle-a-week for the last couple months of weekly sessions, but I've discovered that is my favorite way to play 5e. Less tedious high level combat, more problem solving. Fun dungeon.
I ran Curse of Strahd from 1st to 7th level. That was a perfect sized campaign map. Players got to know it and they could move around and have the agency to return to places. Then I ran Storm King with the same characters. The Sword Coast map was a good size for higher level play because of the known map, the airship and the teleporters. Again, it allowed players to explore and really think about the setting. Chult ended up being just a straight set of travel encounter because it was too big and slow and we figured the best part was the dungeon anyway.

Remove ads