Tomb of Annihilation

Digital M@

Explorer
I am finalizing my prep for running this adventure (and am very excited) and wanted input from people who have RUN OR PLAYED the game, I do not want to hear from people who have only read the adventure. So many (almost all) of the reviews are written by people who have never played the game and in the end are mostly worthless. I wish there was a place where reviews were only done by people have already used the product.

1. What is something you would change in how you ran it
2. Any planning you would have done differently?
2. As a player, what is something you wish were done differently
3. Overland travel - there is a :):):):) ton of it - Did it bog the game down after awhile - Why did it work or why didn't it work?
My concern on overland travel is after many days and game sessions mostly consisting of travel could become fatiguing

4. What was your favorite part?
5. What was your least favorite part?
6. anything else you would like to share about your experience

Thanks - I hope my tone did not come out as snarky, I just want to hear from people with specific experience with the adventure.

My players are almost through the tomb.
List of things to consider:
1. If there’s a ranger in the party, the whole surviving in the jungle thing gets easy and relatively pointless, as the ranger just finds food and water without having to try. The only downside for the ranger was that they had to be actively foraging and couldn’t navigate or do other travel activities.
2. The overland travel can be tiresome. If I were to do it differently, I’d use the map more as a guideline than a precise scale. Unless the party is really into hex crawling, I’d put the interesting locations in their way whether or not they landed in the exact hex or not. Close is good enough. There’s a lot of cool things in this adventure, and my players missed a good 75% of it because they made their way straight to Kir Sabal and were told by the Bird People where Omu was. They then got the components for the spell that lets them fly, and they made it to Omu very easily. I also felt as a DM that I had missed a lot of fun places to run for the party.
3. Let them know right from the beginning that there’s this thing called the Soul Monger stealing peoples souls, and that it is located in the lost city of Omu. Then depending on who the party talks to in their travels, let them know the legend of the 9 gods and Acerack’s tomb. Your players might be a little more curious and inquisitive that you could drop hints and they’d put the pieces together, mine weren’t and they still aren’t sure why the soul monger is in Omu.
4. The list of random encounters is very helpful. I did make a few of my own for fun.
5. Introduce the Yuan-ti earlier than Omu and make them a menace for the party during their travels. Once they get to Omu and find out that this is where the slimy, slithering bastards live, they’ll maybe have more of a reason to interact with them other than Snake People bad, Snake People have puzzle cube.

Quickleaf

Legend
I am finalizing my prep for running this adventure (and am very excited) and wanted input from people who have RUN OR PLAYED the game, I do not want to hear from people who have only read the adventure. So many (almost all) of the reviews are written by people who have never played the game and in the end are mostly worthless. I wish there was a place where reviews were only done by people have already used the product.

1. What is something you would change in how you ran it
2a. Any planning you would have done differently?
2b. As a player, what is something you wish were done differently
3. Overland travel - there is a :):):):) ton of it - Did it bog the game down after awhile - Why did it work or why didn't it work?
My concern on overland travel is after many days and game sessions mostly consisting of travel could become fatiguing

Thanks - I hope my tone did not come out as snarky, I just want to hear from people with specific experience with the adventure.

We're 18 sessions into ToA, started in March 2018. I'm DMing a group of 6 savvy detail-oriented players who mostly came from a Pathfinder background. I started the group at 3rd level (to avoid them feeling the needed to "grind for XP" just so they can survive the jungle). I slowed the pace of the Death Curse to -1 Hit Die every 2 weeks (to allow for more breathing space to explore, softening the edges of the "ticking time bomb" theme) & included a few "life relics" which can be used to buy more time for a creature with the Death Curse (so a PC with a Death Curse loved one could have a chance at saving them). One player moved, one player joined, and one switched PCs, no deaths yet. You can read our session logs over here: https://tombofannihilation-67.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log

1. I received constructive criticism about 6 sessions in that the jungle exploration was too meandering, with too few clues, and too little reward. I realized my player's criticism was spot on, and immediately course-corrected, adding more clues, foreshadowing, meaningful choices, and treasure into the jungle trek. I wish I'd done that as soon as they'd entered the jungle at session #3, but at least I figured it out relatively quickly.

2a. Hard to answer. From my initial read-through, I knew the jungle exploration would need work, but I didn't realize just how much work until we were playing. I've actually been designing so much "connective tissue" that I'll probably release my notes onto DMs Guild once we wrap up the campaign & I have time to edit/format them.

2b. I'm DMing, but one of my players wanted more treasure and magic items earlier on. There is definitely a dearth of magic items until reaching Omu/Tomb.

3. My approach is integrative: I switch between rolling for random encounters, handling travel with narrative montages, and using "skill challenges." So far this has avoided my players burning out on random encounters...but then I've also overhauled how I handle the random encounters. At one point, during a 10-day stretch of travel down River Olung I let my players roll for the random encounters, and they really enjoyed it. If you're interested in specifics, just ask. I've posted extensively about this elsewhere on ENWorld and https://www.reddit.com/r/Tombofannihilation/.

4. My favorite part? I love the Tomb, but haven't run it yet. Port Nyanzaru is a well done city; we only had two sessions there, but we had a blast. My favorite part was when the players told the tale of how they met to Wakanga using a card game with "leading phrases" I ad-libbed...part of their backstory was they explored a dungeon off the coast of Calimshan where they found a sentient lich's skull that had info on the Soulmonger – this replaced the hook on page 5 about the "Harpers receiving their intelligence from a lich."

5. My least favorite part? I couldn't believe Mezro had no detail in the book. I ended up purchasing Ruins of Mezro (DMs Guild, by one of ToA's authors), but it didn't have much connective tissue to ToA nor did it explain in greater detail what happened to Mezro. It introduced these weird cultists that had no connection to the rest of the adventure. And several major areas like the College of Wizards – which were clearly meant to be "dungeons" to explore – had less than a paragraph write-ups. It's a cool map, but I didn't feel it was substantially more detailed than the treatment of Mezro in AD&D Jungles of Chult.

6. Read the adventure in advance, and don't hesitate to modify stuff that you feel wouldn't be a good fit for your group. This adventure takes a lot of DM elbow grease, so be prepared. Make it your own.

Last edited:

Digital M@

Explorer
I love the feedback on connective story telling during travel and foreshadowing. I had added some of that in Port Nyanzaru but didn't think of building more in during travels as non random encounters. The spots of interest in the adventure all all spread out and with one day of travel per hex are over a weeks travel from each other. Add encumbrance rules and the players will make one trip back to the Port and then realize the time cost and ditch most of the treasure they find in the future due to encumbrance. That is OK as the adventure is about ending a severe curse and not treasure hunting, but PC's like their treasure.

I thought of making their expedition a large one with pack animals and camp laborers and have the group break off from them from time to time. That changes the feel of the expedition but could also give it more importance. The PC's could take pack animals with them, but the truth is, they would die quickly and stop river travel slowing the game even more. Maybe a pack dinosaur in honor of Bill from the Hobbit - still no river travel.....

I love this adventure but it offers some challenges to run (which I like).

TDENMARK

Artist. Game Designer.
It's a great adventure, but the overland travel really needs to either be shortened or spiced up with more interesting things.

The M'hael

First Post
I am running this right now, my group is in the first level of the tomb.

1. What is something you would change in how you ran it?
Definitely do more with connecting of the different factions to the random encounters. Have more yuan-ti, red wizards, etc. When the players get to the city it should feel like a culmination of the jungle trek. Have the mapped locations give more clues to the history of Omu and Chult in general.
2a. Any planning you would have done differently?
I would recommend having a really solid grasp of the backstory of Chult and its inhabitants. Understand the timeline of Omu and its rulers, from the various lost royalty to Ras Nsi to the current inhabitants.

3. Overland travel - there is a ton of it - Did it bog the game down after a while - Why did it work or why didn't it work?
To make it less fatiguing to DM, I had all the weather and random encounters pre-generated. For players, make all the random encounters feel like part of the story. Really emphasis how they are connected to the different jungle factions and let players build connections that will matter.
I also had there be some clues when the players were near the keyed locations that drew them in. It could be from their guide, or random encounters that showed them the way.
My favorite part was the Yuan-ti Fane in Omu. There are just so many ways that can play out, and it really gives the players an opportunity to be creative.
Ive really enjoyed it all, but as I was saying earlier, the random encounters were just that, random. They didn't feel like part of the story and were more just filler. I wish I had done more with them.
I am finding this adventure really fun. There is a fair amount of prep and bookkeeping that is needed to make it run smoothly, but the adventure is has a lot of potential to be really great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases