D&D 5E Tomb of horrors first time running it for 5e making some changes for my players looking for some input from the community

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I bet Beyond the Crystal Cave would be incredibly popular if it was re-released today, as it sits in a territory D&D has moved more and more into over time.

Good point; it's interesting, because while the U and and UK series of modules has gradually grown in esteem over time, I don't feel like UK1 (Beyond the Crystal Cave) ever received that critical re-evaluation.

If I ever had the time and druthers, maybe I'd do a re-read of all the classic modules and post on them.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It received a sequel, I think, in the 4E era, but I'm not sure its sensibilities really made sense for 4E. Heavy roleplaying doesn't need a battle grid.

I did not know that! I missed out on a fair amount of 3e and 4e material.

It's funny, though, because even though I can now appreciate that module so much, I remember that at the time, I didn't much care for it.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
Thank you everyone you chimed in on my question. Will have to take some time to digest might look at a different adventure or make one from scratch with heavy inspiration from the OG module and tales from the yawning portal.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
I'm going to echo the others and say to not put more combat in the tomb. If you must have more combat, have it outside the tomb. A fun way to do that might be good (or at least neutral) guardians trying to keep explorers away from disturbing the tomb and awakening what's inside.

Otherwise, my main advice for the tomb is to get the PDF of the original adventure and print out all the illustrations. They're great and iconic and help draw people in. One of the illustrations of the initial hallway actually contains useful clues, which will help the players get into the idea of the dungeon as well, IMO.
I did purchase the pdf and physical copy I'm a big proponent of hand outs I'm still working on my technique of describing a scene. I like illustrations and other means to set the scene feel it helps describe and capture what your saying. Thank you for your advice also what stormonu said work some combat in the puzzles could be a good route to keep in theme?

Last edited:

Remove ads