D&D General Tony Diterlizzi appreciation thread

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
To me this art represent all that is good with D&D. It screams ''fun'' and ''imagination''. I get that for some people it is the art of Planescape, but I think this is the art that fits the feel of D&D the most.

The guy that draws the ''sketchy'' art of the 5e Basic Rules as well as the art of Curse of Strahd and Out of the Abyss (forget his name) is pretty close in my opinion.

Also a big shout out to the Dwarves from Trudvang Chronicles!

I mean... I get serious, I get grim and dark...but I think D&D is all about the weirdness and alien-ness of characters and creatures inhabiting fantastic lands.

Stormonu

Legend
I feel very honored that Tony did the art for my Dungeon adventure, "The Winter Tapestry".

Attachments

• Boat.png
    Boat.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Ettin.png
    Ettin.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Jmondar.png
    Jmondar.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 84
  • PhaseSpider.png
    PhaseSpider.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Piercers.png
    Piercers.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Pugo.png
    Pugo.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Yeti.png
    Yeti.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 76

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Man, please just let us get a Planescape book in that style again. :D

Not sure that's even possible. Yes Diterlizzi can be commissioned for a few pieces, but not the whole book; he's explained before how when doing Plescape, he was making art constantly and it wasn't a healthy pace. I don't think he'd want to be the sole artist on a new book release again.

And if the other artists are trying to mimic Tony, they're pieces would suffer... you can't beat the OG at this style!

So it'd be great to have a new Planescape book, with new pieces by Diterlizzi, but it shouldn't be the only style... otherwise it would probably suffer in quality.

Not sure that's even possible. Yes Diterlizzi can be commissioned for a few pieces, but not the whole book; he's explained before how when doing Plescape, he was making art constantly and it wasn't a healthy pace. I don't think he'd want to be the sole artist on a new book release again.

And if the other artists are trying to mimic Tony, they're pieces would suffer... you can't beat the OG at this style!

So it'd be great to have a new Planescape book, with new pieces by Diterlizzi, but it shouldn't be the only style... otherwise it would probably suffer in quality.
I used to think a PS book would have to include his art, but the past is past. 5e can and will do its own thing.

If you can find it for a reasonable price, I would recommend his book Realms which includes a large collection of his art

Yes Diterlizzi can be commissioned for a few pieces, but not the whole book
One of the things I miss about older editions of D&D was how different artists did so much to differentiate the different worlds of play. The art in "Van Richtens" is more or less the same as that in "Tashas" or "Xanathars" - "Van Richtens" isn't a Ravenloft product, it's a D&D product that happens to take place in Ravenloft. I'm sure it would be the same for "Shemeshka's Guide to the Wheel", or whatever we call a theoretical "Planescape" book.

...that being said, if they don't at minimum have DiTerlizzi do the alt art version, I wouldn't even know what to say.

Remove ads