• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Too many weapons?

delericho

Legend
I'm a DM and a player wants to enter my campaign with a warforged character. That's not really an issue but the fact he wants to equip 4 weapons and a backpack on his loadout is. It includes a 2H maul, heavy X-bow with 20 bolts, hatchet and a dagger.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like he can use more than one or two at a time, anyway.

Is this even remotely possible? Should his character be penalized with disadvantage on initiative and dex rolls? Do others allow this number of weapons? Just curious what other dm's allow?

If it bothers you, just apply the encumbrance rules for the game, either the 'standard' or the 'variant' encumbrance. He'll either be fine or will suffer the listed penalties, depending both on just how much he's carrying and his character's Strength.

Personally, I don't bother any more, but YMMV.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Now a four-armed warforged wielding a maul, hand axe, and dagger with an animated shoulder-mounted heavy crossbow turret would be pretty cool. As long as the action economy was maintained that would be fine.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm a DM and a player wants to enter my campaign with a warforged character. That's not really an issue but the fact he wants to equip 4 weapons and a backpack on his loadout is. It includes a 2H maul, heavy X-bow with 20 bolts, hatchet and a dagger. Oh, and a backpack as well containing smithy tools to repair his character. Is this even remotely possible?

Sure!

Should his character be penalized with disadvantage on initiative and dex rolls?

Nah.

Do others allow this number of weapons? Just curious what other dm's allow?

Yeah, I don't concern myself with this kind of stuff. As long as they're not carrying more than their weight limits, it's all good for the most part. If I were you, I'd put my focus on the characters' relationships with each other and to the adventures you're presenting. That's likely to have more impact on your game than how they carry multiple weapons and tools. Priorities!

I would agree not to worry too hard about it. One player (also a Warforged, oddly) in my game has totally laden himself down, and then did the encumbrance calculation to see whether it was fine. I kind of don't care that much, myself; I'm more interested in telling the story and providing interesting fights, than getting into a discussion over how many weapons is too many.

If he turned up with 10 weapons, or tried to loot an entire armory full of equipment, then I would dispute it.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
You are allowing a player to play as a golem but then worrying about them carrying a heavy maul and crossbow?

Something is mixed up here.

Newti

First Post
Reasonable. I generally allow one "large" 2 handed weapon, a ranged weapon and multiple small 1h weapons like daggers, short swords, etc.
We do track encumberance (not the variant rule tho), so there is a hard limit.
I only had an issue with a player once, when he brought 7 different weapons...

Corpsetaker

First Post
I don't think encumbrance is really the issue here. I believe it's more of the way these items would sit on the body. I am a strong who can lift a lot of weight, but it would be difficult of me to lift a whole sofa by myself because of the way it's shaped. Imagine a person carrying all that and trying to walk through a door.

Illithidbix

Explorer
I don't think encumbrance is really the issue here. I believe it's more of the way these items would sit on the body. I am a strong who can lift a lot of weight, but it would be difficult of me to lift a whole sofa by myself because of the way it's shaped. Imagine a person carrying all that and trying to walk through a door.

Oddly the OP's example this is actually a more believable set up.
Greatsword in back scabbard, crossbow hung from backpack, hand axe and dagger in scabbards on belt.

Remove ads