D&D 5E Too Much Spellcasting in Your D&D? Just Add a Little Lankhmar!

Using those restrictions I don't think we would see the spells that were designed for D&D. There certainly wouldn't be a glut of combat spells that would take longer than most fights to cast.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think this is an area where our tastes and preferences are different. That said, along the lines of what @Imaculata sez, it seems as though you're going to make combats take more rounds, because there will be rounds where spellcasters simply won't do any damage.

I also think it'd be worth looking at ways to work around your flat ban on spells that were reaction or bonus action; it especially might be worth looking at turning some into "normal" spells, plausibly with their own specific casting times.
Well, it would encourage spellcasters to diversify their talents, making sure they have non-magical solutions to problems.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But no one will want to play spellcasters anymore, because they would become far less fun. Low-level spellcasters are already kind of boring to play, making them even worse will add to that. I understand nerfing high-level spellcasting, but these changes are far too broad to make spellcasters useable by players. They're far more likely to decide "Boo that sucks, I'm playing barbarian!"
I think that's mostly the idea.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Hey I think this solution is too conservative, how about the Sha'ir solution? You send your Gen out to gather a spell, and in addition to a large chance of failure, if/when they return with the spell, you have an hour to use is!

Laurefindel

Legend
Good thing someone pointed out the OP was in 2021, cause I’d though it was yesterday.

Personally, I like it. That means players would play martials, and some would multiclass in a spellcasting class for the (still relevant) out-of-combat use of magic. In other words, like the character of Llankmar. And when you encounter a red sorcerer (?) that CAN hurl fireballs in combat; you crap your pants. When undead do their magic mojo stuff, you crap your pants. Like the characters of Llankmar…

So balance between classe will be upset? Well, seems like it’s what you need to reduce the amount of spellcasters.

[edit] * Lankhmar *

Remove ads